Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Motor question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2010, 05:33 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Motor question

Hello all,

first of all: if this has been already answered: please tell me where. I have used "search" and did not find an exact reply.

So: I am looking for a 380 size motor, which works without extra drilling with the factory 10T pinion and with the factory ESC.

The motor should have decent speed (at least same as stock, maybe faster) and it should work well with larger ( 5.5 size) tires.

Any advice?

Thank you all!
Gadgetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

there is a guy on here jsowens that talks about cobalt puller motors and loves them.not sure where he got them but i am pretty sure the bolt right up.

I also feel your pain on the "Search" button. too many things pop up and it is a hassle to rummage through several threads with several pages. so i say ask away and if you get ridiculed so be it. faster in long run though. i still try the search before i ask though. maybe 1 in 10 times do i find an answer that way. gotta be an easier way to use search

Last edited by ctracy; 09-12-2010 at 06:41 PM.
ctracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:23 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Holmes hobbies has the 454 pullers...http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...&cat=17&page=1
RTVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:19 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Well, first of all...to answer your question. Check here:

Official RS10 tips and tricks thread.

About halfway down the first post, I posted a small list of motors that should work, most of which are 380 sized so they would bolt right up. Ctracy is right, I've got a pair of 13 turn cobalts in my rig, but they're damn near impossible to find now. I got them last year from a company called Cermark, but they're no longer available through them. Next best thing, in my opinion, would be the HH 454's, but they're a bit pricey. With 380 motors, it's kinda hit and miss. On one hand you can spend a fair amount of money and get some really nice motors and on the other hand you can go the cheap route and have some "so-so" motors. I did find a link to some promax cobalt motors...they do have the 13 turn motors, but they're super expensive. They also have a regular promax 400 that I would be tempted to try since it's only $10 per motor. Here's the link:

http://www.newcreations-rc.com/Produ...e=G&catlevel=2
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:26 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTVIC View Post
Holmes hobbies has the 454 pullers...http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...&cat=17&page=1

not sure the shaft will fit the stock pinion. the 540's are 1/8 as well are these. if i remember correctly the stock pinion are pretty small. no big deal to drill them out though.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:29 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctracy View Post
not sure the shaft will fit the stock pinion. the 540's are 1/8 as well are these. if i remember correctly the stock pinion are pretty small. no big deal to drill them out though.
Yup the stock pinions won't fit u need to use the 540 size pinions or u can order them from ZNO they drill em out for you or u can just do it urself.
RTVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:31 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Thank you all for the input.

I am considering now a Banebot 390 - due to its low price and (mostly) positive feedback.

Anyone using the Banebot? Would you recommend it? Does it work with the stock pinion?

Thanks again.

PS: After trying a lower cost option I will consider other (more pricey) motors - but for now first my budget is limited, second I would like to try what a low cost upgrade can bring.
Gadgetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:55 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

i heard some people using them. not sure if pinions will work. the banebots are sofa king cheap that you gotta atleast try them. look at the specs of the motor shaft and see what size it is then compare that to the stock motor shafts. I am thinking it will work but not sure. you guys are on metric system so it should be easy for you to figure out. I had to get out the calculator.