Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Project: B.O.B (Blazer)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 08:42 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Project: B.O.B (Blazer)

Yes I started a new project and no I have not finished the last one (BeaverBus) But this project gets to go first because all of the parts and the truck are supplied by a friend of mine. Fully funded project always go first.
So lets get started.
The pile of parts. One RS-10, One Castle 20a BEC, One good charger, two 5000 NiMH batteries, Two sets of steel gears, One HiTec HS645MG servo, Four RC4WD Rock Crusher tires, One new Blazer body and...I must be forgetting something but I will move on.

This looks funny.. OH Yeah a stock one!!

Blazer body

Ok lets do some work! How about tearing it apart? Two piles, keeping and tossing (Into my spare parts box)

The keeping pile. I don't need to show the tossing pile because you all know whats in it.

Hmm why not start with a 540 motor mod? OK here is the cut, incase you wondering how much to remove.

I cleaned up but very weak.

Packed with fiber glass. I would do more but this will harden over night, yes as I write this its curing.

Other side

Rear steer lock out done in front of the axle.

These are mocked up not finished.

And sipping the Rock Crushers. I might remove a little rubber from inside the tire too to make them softer, I will soak them first and see from there. The sipe job does soften them up a lot.

More to come when I do it. This should go very fast since its all paid for. Stay tuned I have some tricks your going to like.
GreMonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2011, 09:06 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

looks like fun!!! keep the pics of the 540 mod commin!!
redneckjiujitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:31 AM   #3

looks great... you stated 2x 5000 batteries, i count 3 in the picture? maybe i should get my eyes checked

Man i love a pile of parts
shiftless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:09 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftless View Post
looks great... you stated 2x 5000 batteries, i count 3 in the picture? maybe i should get my eyes checked

Man i love a pile of parts
Nope your eyes are fine. For doing the build I get a battery, a BEC, and a set of steel gear and two 540 motors. Also we decided to get RS-10XT skid plates so I get one of those too.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:58 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Man this things going to be sweet. What are the plans for the body? You going to leave it high and limit suspension or hack it up and let it flex? Can't wait to see it run with the 540s in there! Keep us posted!
cumminsontherocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:33 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Nice work
It usually runs fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:06 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumminsontherocks View Post
Man this things going to be sweet. What are the plans for the body? You going to leave it high and limit suspension or hack it up and let it flex? Can't wait to see it run with the 540s in there! Keep us posted!
There is going to be some hackin done He doesn't want a scaler, I am thinking I might even dove tail it.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:33 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Looks like a pretty sweet build. I like the thought of hacking up the body and possibly dovetailing it. I'm interested in how this will look when completed.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:25 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I am interested too.....I just went the bug body route.
WarHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreMonte View Post
There is going to be some hackin done He doesn't want a scaler, I am thinking I might even dove tail it.
Very cool man. Limiting suspension for something some scissors can take care of.....hacking a semi scale looking body to crawl like no other......
Old 01-22-2011, 10:55 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Default Update:

So I have been busy working on BOB. 540 motor swap, tires and wheels, body and some painting. Lets get to it.
Big cut right down the middle.

About how skinny I want it.

No turning back now.

Top cut

Tape for final fitting.

Glued and pressed

Top is dry now gluing the back. It will be dry in the morning and I will take some more pictures.

Gear boxes all done. Just waiting for the new motors to arrive. See the steel gears?

Wheels painted, tires sipped, wheels weighted and all assembled.

More pictures to come very soon. The parts I need to continue are in the mail. I hope to have this truck done by next weekend. We will see.
Thanks for looking...Later
Old 01-22-2011, 11:19 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

What kind of glue do you use to glue the lexan body back together? I've considered narrowing the front of a 1970 F-100 Parma body that I'm planning on putting on my RS10...
billybob_81067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:35 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_81067 View Post
What kind of glue do you use to glue the lexan body back together? I've considered narrowing the front of a 1970 F-100 Parma body that I'm planning on putting on my RS10...
Shoe goo
Old 01-23-2011, 10:01 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Default Update:

So I could not help it I had to slap enough parts together to get a peek at what Bob will look like. I think you will enjoy too. So on with the pictures...
So here is what I am thinking for the stance. Funny its the stock wheel base. That makes it a lot easier.

I also think this would be a good ride height. I'm going to start him out with a sprung suspension and might switch to semi droop or full droop later but only if this seems to need adjusting.

So here is what everyone including me wants to see, the dovetail!!! The glue is on the inside and will not be seen once the truck is painted but now you can see how I glued it together.

So that's how far I am right now. I am getting held up waiting for parts. The motors on in the mail so I cannot finish the axles. Also he ordered the new skid plates for the XT to save some time having me fabricate it. Plus he ordered one for mine too. I do have to get longer body mounts. The need to be about a half inch longer so he will have to order them too. I have some stuff I can keep busy with until everything is here, If I run out there is always the BeaverBus Thanks for your interest in my build.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:09 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

lookin good man! keep up the good work!
Old 01-24-2011, 08:45 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

can the stock gears take a 540 motor? nice build btw.
ozpall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:19 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozpall View Post
can the stock gears take a 540 motor? nice build btw.
Yes they can. I have been running 540 motors with stock gears in mine for a long time with no problems
Old 01-24-2011, 10:58 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

great to know, thanks.
ozpall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:59 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I have been working on Bob Jr. I am a bit stuck though. The guy who owns it has the last parts I need to start moving forward but he is sick and does not want to get me sick, good guy. I have the body work done but I need the new body posts he ordered so I can mount the body and do the final cutting, then the final coat of paint. Then he will be picture ready. He also has the new battery tray and electronics tray so I can't wire it up and he still has the motors. He did buy a winch when he bought the battery posts
Once the parts get here I will be very close to being done and then ready for action shots and videos. Stay tuned
Old 02-03-2011, 11:10 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

You didn't really think I would do an update without pictures do you

He has his first two coats of paint, once I have the mounts and I can do the final cut I will shoot one more coat on. I know it won't last long being on the outside.

Here is the back, still a little finish sanding going on, I'm trying for nice, not perfect. It might break apart on its first hard hit anyway

I don't even have to trim the back now!! The tires completely miss the body

Group shot. My RS-10, TXT-1, BeaverBus and Bob Jr

Rear axle. Steering deleted, steel gears installed, just waiting on motors.

Front axle. Behind the axle steering. Looks good now but I will have to see what happens when I try a stuff a 540 motor in there too. The metal on the chassis it the start of the winch bumper mount. I also need to have the body mounted to take measurements.

Last edited by GreMonte; 02-03-2011 at 11:14 AM.