Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: a custom build in the works in my brin bucket.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 09:18 PM   #1

Default a custom build in the works in my brin bucket.

I already posted this in the newbie general tech section but I figured I'd post it over here to find out what some of you rs10 owners think of the idea and see what input you guys may have.
lright guys I recently bought a redcat rs10, it is the absolute most fun I have ever had outside of working on my 1:1 truck and shooting my guns, but the one thing I absolutely hate about it is the body, I hate the hummer style period.
As some of you know the rs10 is a MOA so me being as green to the sport as I am I'm guessing that it will be the best choice for me to build a custom chassis around the axles since there are no driveshfts and the sorts.
My goals for this are:
Custom look and all metal besides the axles and such
Questions:
What kind of brake line do I need to use to build it?
Where is the best place (and cheapest) to find it (purchase it).
Should I build my first "experimental" chassis out of copper line out of house wiring or wood strips like I used to build scale bridges out of?
The "experimental" chassis will be non functional just a base for me to build the new "custom" chassis from.
Comments and suggestions are all welcome.
Also, my reason for not just getting a new body is I don't want to cut it up to the point that the scale look is lost.
I want it to look like a tuber that you would find out on the trails in real life.
Thanks guys! Looking forward to hearing what you guys think!
ranger-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2011, 11:26 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

well i guess id have to ask are you building a sort of flat panel (like the stock chassis) chassis or a tube chassis??? i just put the bullseye chassis on i got from zno rc i would call it the flat panel style...
that being said i am not one to copy other peoples work but this is what im lookin for in mine..i have the jeep comanche body i want to just use the cab of it and build a custom brake line rear cage...from what ive gathered on here ull need 3/16 steel brake line, brazing rods,flux,and a torch.. this is what im shooting for (i did already have the comanche body when i found this one just using the cab and cage idea is all im stealing LOL!!!) this is made by a guy in the axial section i think very nice piece of work he said its his first crawler and paint job, like me so much props to him on this build

since i have a poly chassis im gonna have to come up with a cage that comes through the front of the body just in front of the winshield travels up along over the cab and ties back into the chassis again...should be a nice challenge for me but tons of fun to do

Last edited by redneckjiujitsu; 01-01-2011 at 11:30 PM.
redneckjiujitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:18 AM   #3

I plan on building a tube chassis and then just make some styrene or stainless steal panels to cover the sides, roof, and hood. I'll find an example real quick so yall have a better idea.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:27 AM   #4

This isn't my exact idea but you can get the gist of it.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:45 PM   #5

is this kinda what your lookin for? http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/intc23041.htm
luky101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #6

yep but i want to build mine.
i'm 99% of the time on my static models, they start out box stock and a 2 or 3 day project and end up 2 or 3 month project that looks nothing like box stock, i like custom building..
Old 01-04-2011, 10:50 AM   #7

gotcha
luky101 is offline   Reply With Quote