Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: RS-10 or Axial or ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2010, 11:17 PM   #1

Default RS-10 or Axial or ???

I am new to RC crawling, however I do have a very 1:1 crawler and have learned a few things along the way.

#1 It is always cheaper to buy something built and barely used than it is to build it yourself.

#2 It is always cheaper to buy a good item once that to purchase junk the first time.

#3 It is always fun to say you built it rather than purchased it.

#4 When in doubt ask the experts.

So my question to you is an RS-10 worth the investment or after your hooked do you wish you started with a better platform to modify?

I know for $600 in the classified section you can purchase a bullet proof comp crawler, however I have never been one to buy something already built.

My friends all have the Axial crawlers, should I join the heard or wow them with a Redcat?

Thanks Troy
Swag Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2010, 11:23 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

I personally like the rs10 I just got into crawling. A couple of my buddies have axials and I just have a flat battery wing removal and bent links and I can make lines they can't and im not an expert driver, they have alot more wheel time then me. Ya just need a better servo and tires and its pretty capable already and because I don't compete the rear steer is awesome
87silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:29 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

It depends which Axial your friends have. IMO the RS10 can compete with most AX10's but it will need some major modifications to compete with an XR10 and by the time you have finished putting money into it you will have roughly the same amount invested.

Now that being said the RS10 is a great place to start if you have limited funds and want to build it over time without investing alot all at one time. I still have a soft spot for my RS10 as it was my first crawler but my Berg is my preferred choice for Competition.

I would read as much as possible and see what direction best soots you.

Good luck in your decision
ZNO-RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:27 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Hey I see we're getting some people from pirate4x4 on here!

Check out my build thread just down the page to see what my redcat has become. I like to tinker with stuff and do things a bit differently so buying the redcat gave me a chance to do just that.

On the list of must have upgrades for the redcat I would say higher torque metal gear servos would be the most important, HB rover tires are freakin sweet, and the wing eliminator mod is also a good one too.

Oh and if you want some longer run times you should look into some batteries with a bigger MAH. I chose to go with the stick packs because they are kind of standard and you can get them dirt cheap compared to other pack configurations.

Have fun!
billybob_81067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:11 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I agree with ZNO-RC. My RS10 has no problems keeping up with and sometimes outcrawling ax-10's, venom creepers, etc... but one guy I crawl with has a berg and it always blows the rest of us out of the water. If you plan on comping and getting serious about it, something like an XR10, bully, or berg might be a better choice for you, but if you just want a decent little basher rig that you can build up to be quite capable I definitely suggest the RS10. I've never regretted buying mine.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:47 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Just remember it 80% driver and 20% rig
87silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:11 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I have a axial and a rs10 they are bolth very good trucks. Its all about what u want to spend to get in to the hobby.
lawndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:48 PM   #8

I personally had the same choice to make and chose the rs10xt over the axial and put a hitec 645mg servo on the front and locked out the rear for a dollar with a couple 3mm screws from thew hardware store. I replaced the tires with a new set of Sedonas and the truck amazed me and i only got $220 in it. Still cheaper than a axial with more money for links and alloy knuckles
Slick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:05 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87silverado View Post
Just remember it 80% driver and 20% rig
Exactly. You could have a $1,000+ comp rig and be a terrible driver and would do horrible on the rocks. You could also put a cheaper rig in the hands of an experienced driver and they would do decently well with it.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:05 AM   #10

Thanks for the feed back. I live 3 miles up the road from high rocks just outside Portland Oregon which is a very popular crawling spot for the locals.

I will go hit up a local comp on Sunday and see what strikes my fancy.

Troy
Swag Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:53 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

i have the rockslid super 1/8 love it and can't find anything to stop it i think it is first one as ra10 came out later i think this was fo runner as it came body just had to but it together
grave 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:25 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Default my first was a redcat

My first crawler is a redcat, i just got done doing things to it, but i didnt need to. If you want tinker and customize and have fun building and taking apart then get an rs10xt. The xt already has the wing eliminator and better motors in it. There are sooooo may redcat parts out there and they tend to cost less than other parts. Also there is alot of brand name loyalty out there, alot of people bash a brand name they dont know. I looked into redcat stuff last year and compared it to the better name brands like traxxas and stuff. It wasnt quite as good, but price difference was HUGE with both the vehicles and the parts. I actually own and rs10xt, 1 brushless buggy, and a brushless truck all from redcat and im quite happy with all of them.
cguit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:13 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Before I bought mine, I got to try my buddy's AX10. I dug it, but found the redcat for way cheaper and bought it. That same buddy came over and tried my redcat on my rock pile and right away sold his AX10 and bought a redcat.
EZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:14 AM   #14

Im in the same mind frame here as well, I like to be the underdog with a (no name brand) as they say. All my friend have axials and are all comp ready. so they have new frames and digs and all the fun stuff u can do to them, So i had to do some work to my RS10XT to keep the pace , All i have done to mine is a XR10 frame and new links, Rovers white dot , and some new servos MG995 and there is nothing theres can do that mine cant with 1/2 the price. And the same goes to the 1/5th scales we run as well, they all got HPI bajas , so I got a Redcat Rampage MT, and its been the best Rc truck I have ever had and Rob on the rampage fourm is good to his word and will do anything to help is theres a problem with is product, So Im Redcat All the way from now on
laganm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:52 PM   #15
RCC Addict

the rs10 was my first crawler and it kept me entertained for a while, but then i seen just how limited it is and went to axial and never looked back. not knocking the 10 but it is still a starter rig no matter how much money you put into it.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:30 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Heres how my redcat went: had fun for a day stripped two servos, got a hitec servo and battery tray broke then the radio equipment shit the bed and forced me to swap to 2.4ghz flysky. Both motors burned up one after the other then switched to banebots and the differentials failed. Rigged up brick pack into stick pack and used crawlhogs old ZNO skid, that worked great until the esc went. Got a Sidewinder, lipos and then the chassis kept breaking apart until I got a BWD wedge chassis and losi shocks. The stock tires suck and the rims strip after a few changes no matter how careful you are...Now I'm looking for a set of bully axles and thats the last redcat part. So if you are looking for a learning expiernce the redcat is excellent as it grows with your knowledge and by the time you realize how much you have changed and shouldv;e just bought a $$ crawler you look down and see one. Nothing wrong with a cat, especially for the price. On the other hand my Axial RTC was like 60$ more and nothing has broke yet and it gets driven = as hard as the cat.
It usually runs fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:35 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by It usually runs fine View Post
Heres how my redcat went: had fun for a day stripped two servos, got a hitec servo and battery tray broke then the radio equipment shit the bed and forced me to swap to 2.4ghz flysky. Both motors burned up one after the other then switched to banebots and the differentials failed. Rigged up brick pack into stick pack and used crawlhogs old ZNO skid, that worked great until the esc went. Got a Sidewinder, lipos and then the chassis kept breaking apart until I got a BWD wedge chassis and losi shocks. The stock tires suck and the rims strip after a few changes no matter how careful you are...Now I'm looking for a set of bully axles and thats the last redcat part. So if you are looking for a learning expiernce the redcat is excellent as it grows with your knowledge and by the time you realize how much you have changed and shouldv;e just bought a $$ crawler you look down and see one. Nothing wrong with a cat, especially for the price. On the other hand my Axial RTC was like 60$ more and nothing has broke yet and it gets driven = as hard as the cat.

I should of spent the extra wish i had its just $ after $ and something is always going wrong and its still not going to be as good as a xr10 with the $ put in to mine i could of got 1 wish i did
TRIGGER is offline   Reply With Quote