Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: 4ws + dig ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2011, 09:58 AM   #1

Default 4ws + dig ?

Ok so after I have modded my Rs10Xt with the XR10 chassis, I love the way it preforms , I also have modded my Airtronics MX-3 FHSS with a 3 channel switch for running the 4WS, But i really don't need a DIG for locking the rear tires, I just want to cut the power to the rear tires so there not pushing me over Like free wheel, But I dont want to lose 4WS just for a free wheel dig switch, is there a way I can run both
laganm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
RCC Addict

One question...why? There's really no point in running both because they technically accomplish the same thing, just a little differently. Waste of time and effort, in my opinion. Besides, there's no way that I know of to make a MOA rig "freewheel" when dig is disengaged. On shafty rigs you can do that, but on every MOA dig I've looked into, it either has full 4wd, locked fronts, or locked rears. If you cut power to your rears, your rears are gonna be locked.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I've never used a dig, but I've been in many situations where I wish I had it! From what I gather, you should be able to turn much tighter with dig than 4ws, because you will just pivot on one of your back tires instead of progressing forward. I want it, I want them both, dig AND 4ws.

(hard to satisfy, aint I?)
The Jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:05 AM   #4

I dont think you are understanding my question , I know there is not going to be a free wheel like a shafty, I just want to cut the power to the rear to stop it from pushing me over on step inclines, I dont want a DIG to help me turn I just want the switch to cut power to the rear,
Old 06-20-2011, 08:31 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by laganm21 View Post
I dont think you are understanding my question , I know there is not going to be a free wheel like a shafty, I just want to cut the power to the rear to stop it from pushing me over on step inclines, I dont want a DIG to help me turn I just want the switch to cut power to the rear,
Cool, I get you now. I still think it's a fairly pointless mod. In order to accomplish that, you're gonna need an extra channel on a radio. I've never used the radio you have, but most likely to get that extra channel you'll either have to do some modding (I don't know if you can mod that radio for a 4th channel) or buy a new radio. The extra channel would be used to activate the dig to lock your rears. You could set up the existing dig to only lock the rears or wire up a dig switch only to the rear. Either way, it would be a bit of a pricey mod for you and you don't even want to use the dig to it's full potential.

If you're having issues with your rear wheels pushing you over on steep inclines, to me it sounds like you need to tinker with your setup instead. Can you post up some pics of your rig from the sides? I'm willing to bet your COG is a bit too high.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:43 AM   #6

ill throw some picks up when i get home, I have this rig set to the lowest COG possible, and all the weights in the right spots and it is preforming great , the only thing on my redcat stock it the the lower links, and the axial, Im running with Full comp AX!0 and LCC, and they can keep up, post pics soon
Old 06-20-2011, 09:46 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

did you do the 540 swap or new 380s?
big daddy smokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:13 AM   #8

Im still rocking the stock 390's I want to do the 540 swap, But ive seen post where there not hold up so well