Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Help ID'ing this crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2021, 09:21 PM   #1

Default Help ID'ing this crawler

Hi all,

I've been looking at the crawlers available in Aus, and I've narrowed it down to a Redcat crawler (branded HSP in Australia). The Everest 10 equivalent is widely available, however I've also seen this one which appears to be subtly different:

https://www.superandcheaper.com.au/p...oad-w/HSP18000

Does this have a Redcat equivalent? Any significant differences I'd experience in real world usage compared to an Everest 10? The one linked appears to have a lower centre of gravity, but also perhaps lower clearance?

Any help appreciated. Cheers.
AusSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2021, 07:51 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Help ID'ing this crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusSam View Post
Hi all,

I've been looking at the crawlers available in Aus, and I've narrowed it down to a Redcat crawler (branded HSP in Australia). The Everest 10 equivalent is widely available, however I've also seen this one which appears to be subtly different:

https://www.superandcheaper.com.au/p...oad-w/HSP18000

Does this have a Redcat equivalent? Any significant differences I'd experience in real world usage compared to an Everest 10? The one linked appears to have a lower centre of gravity, but also perhaps lower clearance?

Any help appreciated. Cheers.

DONT DO IT replacement parts are almost unobtainium and upgrading it becomes a trip down the rabit hole

get the redcat atleast you can get parts when it breaks
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 10:29 AM   #3

There isn't a Redcat equivalent. It's just another HSP rebadged crawler sold under a few different names. It's also sold in Europe as the FTX Mauler. They have the same axles and trans as the Everest 10.

I think the chassis is overly complicated and would probably hinder crawling ability. My two cents...skip it.
redbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 04:40 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarton View Post
There isn't a Redcat equivalent. It's just another HSP rebadged crawler sold under a few different names. It's also sold in Europe as the FTX Mauler. They have the same axles and trans as the Everest 10.

I think the chassis is overly complicated and would probably hinder crawling ability. My two cents...skip it.
they do not share the same axles as the everest 10 there wider the internals are the same i think but i know the axles are wider and the knuckles are different than on the everest 10 and usualy the part that breaks and takes the rig out cause you cant get new ones
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 03:31 PM   #5

This price is double what this truck should cost. I bought an USA version called the Hammer Jaw a few years ago for $125ish. The axles on the link you posted are extended HSP axles and internally the same as the Redcat Everest 10 and Gen7 sport. With the crap plastic locker. You can replace it with HSP 180009 aluminum lockers $12 to $20 a piece. Mine came with an updated more robust axle house but the same garbage breaking hard to find dogbone/cup axle shafts. The transmission is the same 3 gear knock off of the Axial SCX10 Gen1 but with crap plastic gears and no slipper. It can be replaced with a $40 Axial SCX10 clone all metal trans from Amazon or Ebay that will have a slipper clutch (get 32 pitch spur gear version and matching 32p 11 to 13 tooth pinion ). The ESC is junk and will burn out. Now for roughly $380 all in, or you can do what I did: if you find one for $125, buy Knock off AR60 all metal axles $125, knock off all metal Axial Bomber 2 speed trans $60, Hobby wing 1040(redcat gen7/ and Holmes Hobbies 550 can 12T 5 slot motor (run on 3s lipo) $50. You will have a killer rig. I think I flipped the trans skid to align the offset AR60 drive shafts better. Later I added RClions 2.2 aluminum beadlocks($45) brass Beef patties $25, 2.2 R35 Axial Maxxis Trepadors, and home made dual stage foams. Finally some $25 cvd steel drive shafts and a $33 35kg water proof servo. All in I have $550ish including shipping and taxes into project "Budget Badass!" It out performs a lot of $1,000.00 Axial Bombers with a lower center of gravity and 1/2 inch longer wheelbase, same width. So, the platform is a decent starting point if you spend wisely over time and start with a decent priced original unit. But it is not as "scale" as other rigs for $500 RTR. This was a project about the journey and fun along the way over time. I'll post pics later. Oh and the cage is the same as a Redcat sand scorcher. Good luck on finding body lexan in the US.

Last edited by Bobzilla9p0; 11-13-2021 at 03:34 PM.
Bobzilla9p0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 04:53 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

The guy appears to be in Australia. Parts availability and pricing may not be the same. There are actual hsp dealers in Australia based on a quick search, so he might not struggle to find items he needs the way we likely would in the US.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Help ID'ing this crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help ID'ing parts Ohio_Danimal Axial SCX-10 5 01-13-2015 11:27 AM
help ID'ing this holmes motor please stevew Electronics 11 05-11-2012 12:02 PM
New Rig, and need some help ID'ing parts stevelknievel Axial SCX-10 5 07-18-2010 01:26 PM
Need Help ID'ing An Old JRH Brushless Robb Electronics 6 02-02-2008 09:54 AM
Need help finding frame braces and ID'ing this chassis. Custom??Maybe.. toecutter Tamiya Clod Buster 8 06-03-2007 03:59 AM