Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: My Everest plan for tonight. Need some help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2016, 06:17 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Question My Everest plan for tonight. Need some help.

Tonight is my night for a cigar, a few beers, and to whip this E10 into shape.

First thing I will do is remove the foam from the tires.

Second thing is to waterproof the servo and receiver.

Third on the agenda is to do something with the shocks.

I saw several members remove the springs from the shocks and run a droop setup. Can someone comment on what I need to do exactly? What shock oil should I run, if I'm not using the springs?

What do I need to do to lower the overall COG on the truck? I need to get that body sitting as low as possible, but not interfere with articulation.

Any help is appreciated.
TIME MACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2016, 08:51 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: My Everest plan for tonight. Need some help.

I'm running a semi droop setup on mine. I definitely recommend using an internal spring under the piston. Otherwise your truck will unload on steeper hills and side hills and you can flip your rig. Some people do without the internal spring and just run really thick shock oil to slow down how fast it unloads, but I haven't tried that myself. A droop setup will lower your cog and will not limit articulation. That being said I thick the truck does better with less than stock articulation.

The other thing you should consider to lower cog is moving things lower. I've moved my battery and electronics off the battery tray and it makes a significant difference.
Smokin' Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:43 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Joe View Post
I'm running a semi droop setup on mine. I definitely recommend using an internal spring under the piston. Otherwise your truck will unload on steeper hills and side hills and you can flip your rig. Some people do without the internal spring and just run really thick shock oil to slow down how fast it unloads, but I haven't tried that myself. A droop setup will lower your cog and will not limit articulation. That being said I thick the truck does better with less than stock articulation.

The other thing you should consider to lower cog is moving things lower. I've moved my battery and electronics off the battery tray and it makes a significant difference.
Very good advice, thank you. I am going to mess with it tonight and see what happens. I guess it's trial and error....and that's part of the fun.
TIME MACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:50 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Don't know what all you've done, but I cut the front part of the battery tray off of the top plate. I then drilled 2 holes in the top plate and 2 holes in each end of the battery tray. I put a zip tie through each hole on the top plate and the adjacent holes on one end of the battery tray. I left them loose to allow the tray to hinge on this point. I then put 1 zip tie through the holes on the other end of the tray and around the lower links. Fasten it so that it is loose enough to slide on the links and allow the axle to articulate. This will bring a majority of the weight from the battery down below the center of gravity. I was surprised at how much it helped.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Last edited by the_law_man01; 11-03-2016 at 07:53 PM.
the_law_man01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_law_man01 View Post
Don't know what all you've done, but I cut the front part of the battery tray off of the top plate. I then drilled 2 holes in the top plate and 2 holes in each end of the battery tray. I put a zip tie through each hole on the top plate and the adjacent holes on one end of the battery tray. I left them loose to allow the tray to hinge on this point. I then put 1 zip tie through the holes on the other end of the tray and around the lower links. Fasten it so that it is loose enough to slide on the links and allow the axle to articulate. This will bring a majority of the weight from the battery down below the center of gravity. I was surprised at how much it helped.

I actually really like this idea. I might try something similar to mine.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
UnderDoggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:24 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Here's what I did to one of the E10s tonight. It's going to turn into either a Tonka dump truck or a scale rig. Thought i would try a smidge of droop before I go crazy with it.
Before...

After...

Old 12-01-2016, 10:27 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

looks sick man,
so droop was to just take the external springs off?
also, how much wheel base did you gain?
stump1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:12 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I'll have to measure wheelbase tomorrow if you want me to. I doubt it gained more than 1/4", but I could be wrong.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:58 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Im running an external pen spring on the shaft so it sits a little higher than full droop. Seems to be working really well for me so far.
MikeTheDiabetic is offline   Reply With Quote

My Everest plan for tonight. Need some help. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Plan B. BOLT 1.9 Scale Rigs 7 10-01-2013 02:29 PM
3d plan coolix General Scale Talk 7 02-26-2012 03:16 PM
Somehow I don't think this was the plan... XSRCdesign Chit Chat 3 11-01-2008 04:44 PM
plan on getting a wk hpidude Newbie General 15 07-09-2007 09:08 PM