Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: What springs for Everest 10?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2016, 02:02 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default What springs for Everest 10?

I'm considering changing out the springs on my E10. I'd probably be looking for softer front springs. Anyone have any suggestions for springs that fit the stock shocks?

Also considering shortening the shocks with nitro fuel tubing if this affects your recommendations. Thanks!
Smokin' Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2016, 01:16 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

No replies, but I figured I'd post what I ended up doing in case it helps someone else.

I bought some 2.75" Losi springs (gold for front and white for back). They are a little wider in diameter than the stock springs and quite a bit shorter, but they fit fine. I superglued them to the spring carriers. They have a much lower spring rate than the stock springs. Because of this and being shorter they added quite a bit of droop travel (stock setup has basically none). I did use the preload spacers to add some ride height and compression travel back, but they are easy to remove if I want to drop it down some more.

The new setup seems to be working well in my thus far limited use (1 outing on my small home course). Overall the rig seemed to crawl much more easily and smoothly through most obstacles. The only downside I noticed was because of the reduced ride height it was slightly more prone to getting high centered.

Another thing that worsened is torque twist, guess I need to work on that issue next.

After trying out this setup a little more, I've noticed another issue. The droop travel is an issue with this setup. The sprung weight isn't enough to keep the truck settled down where it should be. In order to make shorter springs work well I'll probably need to shorten the shocks and go to an almost full compression setup or add internal springs to stay with a semi droop setup.

Last edited by THX_138; 04-08-2017 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08-10-2016, 04:39 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: What springs for Everest 10?

Just an update on what I ended up doing. I kept the Losi 2.75" springs mentioned above. I added internal springs underneath the pistons (TCS medium strength internal springs) that I cut down to 3/4". I then added enough preload to get the ride height I wanted. I subsequently added 15mm of spacers to limit the compression travel and decrease my articulation to about 1 tire height. Used 40 weight shock oil up front and 30 in the back.

Overall I'm very pleased with the results. Pretty close to 50/50 compression and droop travel (slightly more compression), but still pretty decent ride height. Significant improvement in COG compared to stock and subsequently far less tippy. Crawls much better and easier over most obstacles than stock. The only obstacles that are more difficult are limited to ones where a very high ride height is helpful (which aren't many). Torque twist seems significantly reduced which I attribute in part to springs fighting both downward and upward movement depending on the corner. To be fair I also triangulated the lower links at the same time I did this mod, so I can't say how much of the improvement in torque twist is related just to the suspension changes.

Last edited by Smokin' Joe; 12-13-2016 at 06:10 AM.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:55 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I tried some super-soft springs on one of my rs-10s. You could damn near flip it standing still. Shorter springs at a higher rate seem to work better.

P.A.Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:46 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

I used pen springs on the outside. Lowered COG and crawls much better. Didnt really help TT though.
MikeTheDiabetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 08:30 AM   #6

any details on the pen springs used and pictures? Forgive me but I am new to rc crawling.
arkansasammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 03:36 AM   #7

This is where I went to start with. Still stock stuff. I have changes in the near future, so I'll wait to see what our new body requires, before I mess with it again.

Then used a lowering kit from level3rc suited to ax10 scorpion.
I don't seem to have a pic on my iPad of the lowering devices. Maybe google that image/site for specifics. They just give you a bit more adjustability for shock placement/geometry/items used. Lighter springs are definitely on the radar though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by THX_138; 04-08-2017 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Merge, minute apart posts
Disco Stu III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 09:09 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I went through all that but ended up putting my stock springs back on (although the shock body is kings brand) to help control torque twist. The most important thing is wheel weights. It's best to put them elsewhere on the axle to reduce stress on moving parts but meh I crawl slow. With limiters placed inside the shock body, and the rear left shock compressed an inch, I get regular smooth flex still. 5 ounces in each front wheel and I think 2.5 in each back. I dunno the magic numbers but basically the added weight holds the wheels down so the suspension can travel.
JoelTGM is offline   Reply With Quote

What springs for Everest 10? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Everest 10 no more! Jeepiac Redcat Crawlers 70 02-11-2017 05:36 AM
rs10 vs everest 10 bustedgamez Redcat Crawlers 35 01-09-2017 12:54 AM
My scale Everest-10 rockcrawler505 Redcat Crawlers 5 04-18-2016 05:03 PM
Everest 10 Defords Newbie General 4 10-17-2015 09:20 PM
Everest-10 rodney m Redcat Crawlers 1 08-13-2015 07:17 AM