Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Thoughts on moving from 1.9 to 2.2 tires on my Gen 7

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2018, 07:56 PM   #1

Default Thoughts on moving from 1.9 to 2.2 tires on my Gen 7

Long story short-I am a newbie. I have spent a fortune getting my gen 7 to run for more than 5 minutes (see above...); however I am learning fast and I have learned a ton getting here. Without more than reading a post here I decided that I needed to go bigger on the tire front-so I did. New tires (Pro Line Flat Iron's) and bead locks (Pro Line) annnndddddddd spacers (missed that one....) Drove the silly looking thing tonight for the first time with 2.2's and here is what I know.

On a very challenging acre of construction debris and asphalt dumpings that I have been using for my training ground the rig climbs like a bandit. The added clearance really helps. I had the Sport version (notice the had???) and I agree that the foam inserts are JUNK. These tires handle so much better-imagine turning and the tire helping rather than rolling under.... anyway what a difference. Really-WOW. That said I miss the challenge of the smaller tires... these made the impossible attainable, but it doesn't look right and now wants to spend a inordinate amount of time upside down.

Does it work? Yes with 110 Hot Racing shocks and lots of metal upgrades, but I think I will stay with the 1.9's and learn how to drive...
pearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2018, 10:34 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Thoughts on moving from 1.9 to 2.2 tires on my Gen 7

You can also replace the foams in the original tires to make them better I have Crawler Innovation foams in mine but it's a Pro so it's heavier than the Sport.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:06 AM   #3

which compound of foam did you get?
axben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:00 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

im running 105mm tires inside the stock redcat tires like tubes it allows the tire to flex and conform and provides great traction yet the inner tire provides the suport for the rig so your tires wont fold over when turning or side hilling but still work
this system works better than most foams on the market and work great on non comp rigs they dont tune as easy as high end foams and it makes the tires heavy
im finding these tires on ebay for $13 cheaper than most high performance foams
there reusable and wont break down or get flatspots

if you run small 2.2 tires 5 inch ish it works out ok but still plays havok with your center of gravety you can add weight to your axles and or.wheels to compensate but your gona give up some durabuility
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:49 AM   #5

For the stock Gen7/Gen8 tires, my foam recommendation is the 4.25" Crawler Innovation Lil Novas Comp Cuts, Soft up front and either soft or medium in the rear, depending on the weight of your vehicle. On my Gen8 I feel that even with these foams, the tires are stiffer than I prefer. The stock foams in my Gen7, in my opinion, are perfect for that truck, but that truck is very light because it's essentially still stock. I can see where the stock foams would be too soft if you added much weight to a Sport.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote

Thoughts on moving from 1.9 to 2.2 tires on my Gen 7 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Everest gen 7 - how i improved my steering... other thoughts 2k2wranglerx Redcat Crawlers 6 10-30-2017 11:04 AM
Taller 2.2 tires .... thoughts? Locked Up Tires and Wheels 15 10-26-2008 09:35 PM
HPI GT2 Tires thoughts? BrockGrimes Tires and Wheels 1 04-01-2006 07:43 AM
Thoughts on tires? BrockGrimes Chit Chat 2 02-24-2006 05:59 AM