Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Entering the Redcat crawler world!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2017, 07:05 AM   #1

Default Entering the Redcat crawler world!

Well I've sold off my Savage Flux HP!

My son wants to get into crawlers, like me he likes everything RC. We have a bunch of bashers laying around, but our "go to" bashers are his Traxxas Grave Digger and my ECX F-250 Ruckus. I thought I wanted to get into 1/8th scale RC's but.... the parts can get expensive. Love the size but damn, wish the parts were cheaper (plus the thing is sort of discontinued, thus driving up the prices). Thinking about it, I figured I could just sell off the Savage, and whatever money I get from it will feed our crawler habit.

We're going for a pair of Redcat Everest 10's. Although depending on its availability I might grab a pair of Gen7's. I like the chassis of the Everest 10, and the fact that most Axial SCX10 and Wraith parts will fit on it. Plus, out of the box it comes waterproof and thats a big plus for both of us. I'm hoping to get 2 of them now, and in the winter around Christmas, get a pair for my girls who also want to get into RC.

I can't wait to get them. I've heard mixed things about Redcat over the years, but just can't beat their prices. Either way we like to tinker, so after a few upgrades I'm sure they'll be beasts!

I'll post up some pics once I purchase them next week. Might even be on Sunday!
ren.dnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2017, 06:26 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Entering the Redcat crawler world!

I love my redcats there tuff as the old nails the E10s though would need a new chassis the link geometry sucks and they didn't leave enuff material to relocate the links so to make it a good crawler it needs a new chassis I cut mine out of cuting board type plastic it now rivals my wraith if it had better tires it would probably crawl circles around it as there both running old riped up ripsaws right now I haven't had any issues with stock parts breaking only aftermarket parts are causing issues the cheap scx10 parts I upgraded to are what's breaking my axle shafts locker and cheap driveshaft although I didn't set up the driveshaft s right the first to some of that was my fault but all the stock parts are holding up I've run it almost every day for 8 months so its definitely got some hours on it mods\ new parts so far driveshafts not really needed rear scx10 lockouts and axial locker and cheap axle shafts the scx10 shafts are a bit to short I'm gonna try xr10 length shafts and cut them down a bit to fix the issue new shocks new tires and a homemade chassis and metal pinnion and spur gears for a bit more speed I have less than $200 in to it and its as fun as my high doller rigs I have a couple of exceed crawlers basicly the same rigs but I like the redcats better I think its because there blue looks better maybe I don't know I think the HSP has a better chassis then the rest of the ax10 clones but I've only seen pics of them so I don't know for sure while at axial fest I had a friend show up unexpectedly and had never run a real rc before and I had my e10 in the back of the car and he ran that all day on 1 pack even when the wraiths were down for repairs he was running that thing same terrain same trails and zero breakadge it went in the creek on the rocks the slide everywere it kept up and kept going I was very impressed and a little frustrated my $1200 wraith kept breaking down my $200 redcat just kept truckin the low power really helps with reliability and keeping it cheep is a challenge all in its own
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:00 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Me and my two boys (10-11) recently got E10s each. They've got me hooked

My boys have more of a basher / wide open until they bounce off something or roll the truck, then wide open cutting the steering monster truck style to turn itself back over - driving style. I'm more of a slow, technical crawler driver.

My youngest boy shaved his steering stops right away and his basher driving ended up breaking an axle yoke (where the steering knuckle mounts). I replaced it with stock parts. I've given thought about upgraded aluminum / metal external axle parts, but I think I'd rather the plastic parts flex a bit in a hit rather than transfer that energy to some other part of the axle that isn't so easily replaced. JMO and I could be wrong........
number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by number9 View Post
Me and my two boys (10-11) recently got E10s each. They've got me hooked

My boys have more of a basher / wide open until they bounce off something or roll the truck, then wide open cutting the steering monster truck style to turn itself back over - driving style. I'm more of a slow, technical crawler driver.

My youngest boy shaved his steering stops right away and his basher driving ended up breaking an axle yoke (where the steering knuckle mounts). I replaced it with stock parts. I've given thought about upgraded aluminum / metal external axle parts, but I think I'd rather the plastic parts flex a bit in a hit rather than transfer that energy to some other part of the axle that isn't so easily replaced. JMO and I could be wrong........
Nice! Glad you guys are enjoying them. Looking forward to getting a pair of them for my son and I (then 2 more for my girls lol). My son has a basher and last time we were out bashing he wanted to get into the slower technical driving of climbing and crawling.

Either way lol, he's 9 so he'll open it up wide open until I setup a little course in our backyard.

I feel ya on getting hooked. I have another thread in the chit chat forum where I describe my plight when I got heavily hooked by RC lol. All is well now that my kids are involved, and keeping the focus on driving, maintenance, and helping them learn to be RC mechanics.

As far as plastic vs. metal... the struggle is real lol. Basically put metal where it makes sense, and use plastic on something thats frequently breaking. You are right in assuming if you put enough metal on it, the stress will go to the next weakest part. Not sure what RPM makes for RedCat, but RPM makes some really nice heavy duty plastic parts. Once you drive out in the cold weather (below freezing), you'll know where you can get away with metal and where plastic makes the most sense.

Once I get them I'll post up some pics. But I know almost right away, I'm going to replace those drive shafts with metal.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:38 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

You can build 1/8 Scale crawlers with the Everest 10. From what I've seen of other's builds, the E10 wheelbase length actually fits 1/8 bodies pretty well. You would have to get some wheelbase wieners though. Probably 15-20mm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
the_law_man01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 01:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_law_man01 View Post
You can build 1/8 Scale crawlers with the Everest 10. From what I've seen of other's builds, the E10 wheelbase length actually fits 1/8 bodies pretty well. You would have to get some wheelbase wieners though. Probably 15-20mm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
I noticed that with the wheelbase measurements lol. They're like my ECX Ruckus (my basher)... it has a 13" wheel base roughly, but classified as a 1/10 and all parts are basically 1/10, except for the body which can fit a 1/8th body.

Thats good to know and pretty neat about the Everest.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:17 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

The Everest 10 is a fine entry level crawler, especially with some of the Axial cross-fitment. I was thinking of getting rid of mine, but I'd like to have one rig setup on NiMH, so I can keep a charged battery, and be able to go outside and run it, on a whim.
johnnyluv is offline   Reply With Quote

Entering the Redcat crawler world! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New life entering the world, my daughter. Bogncrawl Chit Chat 15 09-14-2015 02:51 PM
Entering crawler world with R1 kjrell G-Made Crawlers 43 04-26-2013 10:13 AM
Redcat Ground Pounder wins World Championship! CPE MT Non Crawler RC's 11 10-16-2010 08:10 AM
entering agiveaway bigdog5332 Newbie General 3 02-18-2008 09:38 PM