Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Scale Accessories

Notices

Thread: Snowwheeler's Garage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Snowwheeler's Garage

I saw some of the garage builds goin on and I knew that I had to start one lol. So far all I have is the floor done and am waiting on my dad to help me make the studs out of 1x4 fir timber. The floor is 28x34 inches. Should start the frame around Wednesday but we will see, maybe even sooner. So far here is what I have:

Photobucket

The jeep flexin lol:
Photobucket

The build my dad is startin:
Photobucket

Will update as soon as I can
Snowwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #2

Default Re: Snowwheeler's Garage

Great start! Looking forward to see what you come up with.
Sounds like a perfect Father-Son project
THX_138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thanks! My dad said we should have all the wood ready to go by tomorrow evening when he gets off work. The frame should be done by tomorrow night. Still trying to figure out what to use for siding though. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 04-03-2012, 01:40 AM   #4

Siding is open to so many possibilities it gets hard to decide.
On the garage I am currently building, I am using thin sheets of veneer wood and have been slicing it up with an X-Acto knife and making clap board siding.

Some options could be foam board, styrene sheets, thin plywood, press board etc... You could paint that stuff, draw lines on it with a sharpie marker to imitate 4'x8 sheets of plywood, draw boards. Or you could cover the outside in ready-to-instal pre made siding for doll houses. Several options that route.

I have been trying to either scratch build items for my garage, or mostly trying to re-purpose/recycle stuff for the build. My floor is a scrap of 3/4" plywood (left over from putting a new floor on our pontoon boat), my wall studs are old Oak floor boards (from a remodel on our home I did with my son) and ripped them down on the table saw to small strips, my walls are thin plywood off the back of an old thrown away toy box (our oldest daughter's old broken toy box) , the clap board siding is sheets of veneer wood that I stripped from the outside of a few old large cabinet style stereo speakers (from a stereo system that I have drug around with me since high school) stripped the veneer of finish and sanded it back to bare blonde wood before I peeled it off. The sheets of syrene that I used to cover my roof were old "For Sale" and "Yard Sale" signs from things through the years.

Haven't gotten past that yet. Any windows will most likely either be glass cut from an old picture frame, or plastic cases from CD's. I hope to keep up the Cheapo route with the inside details also.

I guess I could easily go out and just buy all the stuff and have had it done 4 x's faster.... But this way is challenging and when I look at it, each and every part will have some sort of history
THX_138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:39 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Yup, buildings can be a lot of fun. One thing I do now, is when I'm driving around, I look for old garages & buildings & take a closer look at how they really are. THX_138 makes a good point, you can buy a lot of this stuff. But it's fun to see what you can make. I would like to try doing a concrete block look. I think it could be done with some sort of thin foam cut & glued & then painted over.
DRW-FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:09 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Update: cutting the wood took longer than originally planned so I only busted through one wall tonight.. Also built a small work bench
Pics:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

More tomorrow
Old 04-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Here is how it stands now, I'm still trying to figure out what I should use for siding. Might go with cedar. Anyways onto the pics:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Old 04-07-2012, 08:49 AM   #8

looks good. what is the floor made of ?
T_Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:02 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Baker View Post
looks good. what is the floor made of ?
Foam core board
Old 04-10-2012, 07:34 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Looking real good. Cedar siding sounds good. should have a nice fine grain. that's what I look for, looks more scale. I have some nice oak but the grain in oak just doesn't look to scale.

What kind of foam core board are you using? I've been looking at the PVC expanded foam core, Sintra is one brand. Thinking of using it for exterior buildings. it doesn't make for scale construction methods, i.e. studded walls, but for a large building that would stay outside in all sorts of weather, I've thought about using it. I got the idea from Garden gauge railroad model forums. they do the trim in styrene, so no wood, no rot. leave it outside year round.
DRW-FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW-FJ40 View Post
Looking real good. Cedar siding sounds good. should have a nice fine grain. that's what I look for, looks more scale. I have some nice oak but the grain in oak just doesn't look to scale.

What kind of foam core board are you using? I've been looking at the PVC expanded foam core, Sintra is one brand. Thinking of using it for exterior buildings. it doesn't make for scale construction methods, i.e. studded walls, but for a large building that would stay outside in all sorts of weather, I've thought about using it. I got the idea from Garden gauge railroad model forums. they do the trim in styrene, so no wood, no rot. leave it outside year round.
It's just foam core board from office depot for like school projects and stuff. So far it is holding up pretty well. Its glued to the bottom of the frame. I haven't had time to do the siding yet because I have been really busy with school. Hopefully I will get it done soon!
Old 12-22-2013, 07:13 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Well it's been a while since I've worked on RC's... I've been really busy but lately I've had some extra time on my hands so I decided to put some time into the garage and get the siding done, almost two years after I started it lol. I'm going with a corrugated metal style siding and I just ordered the aluminum.

Here are some current pics. It's nothing special but I like it haha

Cut down a tree for the shop lol

A couple full size shots

I can't wait for the siding to get here. I plan on painting it a flat army green color. I think it'll look good.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:05 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Got the aluminum and started the siding. So far so good. Definitely time consuming but I'm happy with the final product.

Onto the pics:

Snowwheeler's Garage - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Garage sids90xj Colorado 1 12-07-2011 10:29 AM
Garage course wolverine31 General Crawlers 19 03-23-2010 03:55 PM