Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: f150 stepside crew cab build (blackfoot)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2008, 12:24 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default f150 stepside crew cab build (blackfoot)

Well, I'm stalled a bit on the jeep crew cab until I get access to some brazing (in the works) so until then I'm keeping myself busy...I've wanted a ford crew cab based on the blackfoot series of trucks so, I sourced two used blackfoot bodies and started cutting...

Plans:
-hand made chassis, from 1/2" steel tube shaped then split in two. Why dont people use 3/8" tube I wonder?
-TLT axles, narrowed (body is only 6-7/8" wide. I'll do it same as my jeep crew cab.
-leaf front, 4-link rear
-pede or possibly R2 trans
-55t
etc.
the usual.

I'll also drop the bed and thinking of running it without a tailgate or with a tailgate open on scale chains.
-small roll bar
-no interior though
-working lights
-Probably run the brat 1.7 wheels I made for the Jeep too. They'd look more appropriate on here.

well, on to the pics...

started with the two used blackfoot bodies I picked up. They are both in pretty good shape. One is painted black, one is still natural black plastic. Most of the tabs are in place. I have two sets of grilles, windows, tailgate, bumpers, etc.

the 'theme' is a US Forest Service truck. So I'll have a police type lightbar on top as well. Color will be green with white stripe like the truck on far right.

decided to try cutting the bodies with thread, like I saw on here...

cut like butter.

final wheel base is 12"

probably only took about 20-30 minutes to cut both bodies, including taping them down and prep. Pretty impressive method!

mocked up on narrowed TLT axles and the 1.5 mini cooper wheels:

The rear door of the crew cab is a little short and I think I'm going to leave it that way. I fussed with the Jeep crew cab piecing that together and really want to do an easier body this time. Looks pretty good length to me and like the wb so it'll probably remain.

and I know there were no 4dr crew cab stepsides...but its old enough that someone must have done it by now, lol...And as you can tell from my Jeep crew cab pickup build I don't mind taking certain liberties...
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2008, 08:38 AM   #2
RCC Addict

It looks good so far. The rear doors on those model trucks were kinds smaller anyway. Just dont forget the frame work for the front of the rear window.
mississippirocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 06:52 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Location: Long Island-Land of one batch of rocks in Sag Harbor and at least one fellow crawler

Pantablo, I really think this is going to be an AWESOME build. I like the video of you cutting the body with thread on you tube. Almost looks like an illusion but very cool and cuts perfect. I like the Forest truck theme too. Great Idea. Subscribed.
eddievedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:15 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

No way!!! I was just thinking the other day while driving to work, how cool it would be to paint an rc with the forest service theme. So now I'm subscribed. Looking forward to the results.
Echodawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:35 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

thanks guys. I take no credit for that thread trick. Beckworks posted the How-To and I HAD to try it (esp given I dont have access to a bandsaw and wasnt pleased with the dremel cut body of the jeep).

That video is my cutting the filler piece for the crew cab, so last night I added it in and glued the body together. Also filled in the roof section, sunroof and started on the B pillars. I think it might be dead on or just a hair too long at the leading edge of the rear door but I like this better than a bit too short like it was.

Also cut the bed out for a drop bed. I saw a picture of a stepside ford and it had a wood slat floor in the bed. Not sure if its model/period correct or even appropriate for a Fire Service truck but am considering it as an option to the textured black bed liner.

I have to say I'm really pleased how the bed looks. The dropped bed with the flares looks better than I thought it would.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:21 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

This is going to a nice buid!!
gyrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:44 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

This is going to be a cool build. Looking forward to the progress pics.
onlyinajeepxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:12 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

wow.

youve got some styrene skill there pablo.
luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:24 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Thanks guys. I appreciate the kind words.
Got a little more done. The 'good' body had one big flaw. It was missing a piece of the front fender where the grill/bumper attaches. So I did some bodywork, cutting a piece from the scrap body and mating it into the good one.

Also got the drop bed done as well as cleaned up some holes, cracks ,etc.
Did a color test on the scrap body too. Looks as close as I'm going to get using rattle spray cans. Bit off in the photo. In real life its closer to the real truck color.

oh, and the one detail I really like about stepsides that the blackfoot body was missing:
the rolled steel edges of the rear bed:
Old 06-24-2008, 01:42 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Nice work so far. what tranny do you plan on using?
crawlbe4youwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 02:47 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Thanks.
Well, I have 3 spare pede's and an unused R2. The R2 will go in the Jeep allowing me room for that interior. Since this one won't have an interior I'll probably use one of the pede's. Might sell some parts and get another R2 for this though...
Old 06-24-2008, 10:19 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

thats s pretty sweet the rolled edges are a nice touch
Scale_Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:54 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Nice work on the body so far
jimbiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:54 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

thanks.

started filling in the roof and its going to take too much filler at the junction. its already starting to crack just from my holding it sanding. I'm going to take and skin the entire roof with styrene to prevent that coming through the final paint.

Also found an interior I can use so will probably add that. Going with an R2-test fit and looks like it will work nicely with the interior. This also lets me keep the windows open.

Mocked up color, white stripe and colors of Forest Service logo on scrap body. This is where I stand as of last night, red/blue lightbar mocked up in position.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:05 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Nice! I love quadcabs, real BAMFs. I think I may build a pickup for my next scaler, already got the Jeep....This is sweet, I'll be watching this one!
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:31 AM   #16
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Wow, great start! What do you have planned for electronics and power? Do you plan to make the emergency lights flash? Definitely subscribed. Cool build.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:53 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

thanks.

Yep, I already have all the LED's and wiring to make the light bar flash as well as head/tail lights etc. Its ready to go. I need to figure out how to get the LED's in the tail lights and hide the wires though, lol. I have an idea or two for that.

Power? Well, I have an Airtronics MX3 tx and rx for it. motor will be a novak 55t. I have a pede trans for it but will most likely buy an R2 instead. Narrowed TLT axles with 4-link front and back and tekin rebel 2 esc round out the package. I was going to leaf the front but maybe later. Right now I just want to get it rolling...

Also I came across a nice interior I could use here-fits perfectly (from a 1:12 scale hummer) so my plans have changed and I will be doing an interior.
I also need to do a bed tool box, but will skip the roll bar. Just doesn't seem right to have that.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:12 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Sweet! This will be a great looking crew cab. Bed work looks awesome, great job on that. I'll be keepin a close eye on this build
rockwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:24 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

thanks again.

got chassis rails mocked up, tool box for bed made (no diamond plate skin yet, but shortly), reskin of roof done but needs minor filling still.

chassis:

interior seats (no dash in yet)

tool box

I'm going to need a torch, bandsaw and 1/2" tube before I can make the chassis and link mounts so I may be at a standstill soon.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:18 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Wonderful work Pantablo, I have always liked the blackfoot body and you sir have done it spot on!!!
What do you plan on making the chassis from? I just knew you wouldnt be able to resist installing an interior!!!Thanks for sharing..
rcjeepbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote