Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Pajero J Top build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2009, 10:42 AM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdodge88 View Post
Looks good. I have a question tho... Why are you using reduced Imex tires rather than the RC4WD tires that look the same? Is it because the Imex's are bigger?

Justin
Thanks.
when you compare the two side by side you can see that the Imex, because it was a 2.2 has more space between the tread blocks. This allows them to fold over more. As far as I can tell thats what makes these tires as sticky as they are. I was so impressed with them on the ford crew cab that I went with them again. I usually dont think of Imex as making very good tires but these have amazed me.
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2009, 12:37 PM   #82
Quarry Creeper

That rig is turnin out good. Keep up the good work.
crawlski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:50 PM   #83
I wanna be Dave

Awesome, It is really coming together now

We HAVE to get all the Pajeros together for a photo in Montana..
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:31 AM   #84
I wanna be Dave

thanks again. Its getting there slowly...
Excesive, that would be COOL! everything from mild mannered to full comp...

tonight made a skid/trans mount finally. Too much sheet metal cutting with cut off wheel to do tonight so I broke out the tin snips for this.

Went to the shop and bent it up on the break...oh wait, I dont have a shop. Crap. Yeah, thats me bending it in the vise and finishing it off with pliers, a 1/8" thick metal bar and the dining table...

2-5/8" clear. Not terrible...

Transmission tucks nicely into the void of the front seats too.

I think the output shafts are too close and offset to work though...I either have to move the trans back on the skid or the whole skid/trans back.

6-cell 4/5A battery pack fits nicely into the void of the rear seats too...thanks Cheapbatterypacks.com! I bought this one but Mike, the owner, also donated one of these same packs for the Montero build. I'll mention it in that thread when I update it.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:27 AM   #85
RCC Addict

Nice work Pablo, its coming along nicely.

Justin
bigdodge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:31 AM   #86
Rock Crawler

i want to see this one at vasquez for sure!
luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:10 AM   #87
Rock Crawler

Awesome work! I like seeing builds with the motor mounted to the front and using some sort of transfer case. It gives it a real nice scale look!:-P
gyrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:43 PM   #88

THis is a great build. Love the drivetrain setup,
speedlabrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:42 PM   #89
Rock Stacker

really NICE that thug in the drivers seat looks real
axialscraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:18 PM   #90
RCC Addict

Location: Long Island-Land of one batch of rocks in Sag Harbor and at least one fellow crawler

Pabs!!! Nice job on the t case mount/skid! This this is going to be a ton of fun to wheel.
eddievedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:55 PM   #91
I wanna be Dave

thanks!

Thank you guys!

Well, big brother is home, lol!

length comparison.

are you thinking what I'm thinking...

on a sad note (and I apologise for reposting this photo) I realized today that this is a significant problem.

The motor/GRU outdrive is in a very bad relationship to the tcase outdrive.
bad enough that a quick fix isnt going to do it. I need to break down the chassis, remove the bent plate motor/servo mount, cut a new hole for the servo turning it 90 degrees, cut out the tongue that motor/gru mount to leaving a bottom leg and bolting it down farther forward on the plate and next to the servo. End result needs to be similar to how the Montero is set up. This will also put the motor well over the axle.
Its a bit of work.
The easy way to solve it is simply cutting a new plate but with Luke's schedule on the CNC limited I may need to resort to the dremel again. Another possible solution might be to eliminate the GRU altogether and run a simple divorced motor setup. I dont think a 55t through a transmission is particularly fast anyway...

Also, Its bothered me that the front wheels arent more forward of the wheel arch center as much as I had wanted. They seem dead on to the wb of the rig but I had intended they be farther forward than the wheel arch center. I thought I could just unbolt it and move it forward but there arent any holes for that to happen and in order to get it right I need to have the chassis plates set on each other to drill both at once. I'll be lucky if I can work it without making new links, although thats not a big deal in the big picture, lol...

things dont always go as planned, do they...

[edit: well, I sat back and had another beer while I stared at it and solved the problem!
I moved the plate forward 4 holes, moved the shocks forward 2 holes, moved the lower links forward 2 holes by drilling new hole (found a bracket I could use as a template to keep both sides exact), adjusted out the upper links till they met an existing upper hole.
end result is a stretched front end and clearance enough to get the drive in between the GRU and tcase.
I love beer.

still need to adjust the body height at front as its a bit low.]

Last edited by pantablo; 02-26-2009 at 02:25 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:56 AM   #92
RCC Addict

Sucks to hear you have to redo the chassis man. Looks good tho.

Justin
bigdodge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:02 AM   #93
Colt Python/SR9c

As I posted on Aroara forums, the truck looks great, except for the cage work. The only thing that I do not like is the back tubing(rollbar) and it may just stem from my 1:1 building..But the pillars need to be back further and a little taller..Yes it is a RC, but it is a scale truck, and you would have no protection for people in the backseat.

Just
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:12 PM   #94
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedCreations View Post
As I posted on Aroara forums, the truck looks great, except for the cage work. The only thing that I do not like is the back tubing(rollbar) and it may just stem from my 1:1 building..But the pillars need to be back further and a little taller..Yes it is a RC, but it is a scale truck, and you would have no protection for people in the backseat.

Just
I hear ya and mostly agree. Although from a true scale perspective I dont think the 2dr pajero's had rear seats? So there's that. And the overriding issue as to why I didnt box out the rear cage as it would be on a 1:1, as seen on many jeeps too, is that doing so in my opinion reinforces the original shape of the body. That is something I wanted to avoid. I want to play up the new openness of the rear. And since stock jeep wranglers dont have the rear cage, but only small angled bars (googlign for image now) I thought this was a fine approach for this Jtop.

inspired by this look:
Old 02-26-2009, 12:32 PM   #95
RCC Addict

thank god for beer!

lol. i retract my aroara staements and lean toward agreeing with you on the rollbar, if your trying to get away from those original top lines deffinatly keep the shorter bent bars like you got.

just make sure the guy in the backseat knows to lean forward and HOLD on when you roll it. LOL!

i think mat is gonna draw up the metal plates and try and find someone local to cnc them out for him.

btw i like the front tires sticking out there like that on ALL my rigs helps with 4x'n

Last edited by akguanja; 02-26-2009 at 12:35 PM.
akguanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:21 AM   #96
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by akguanja View Post
thank god for beer!

just make sure the guy in the backseat knows to lean forward and HOLD on when you roll it. LOL!
I think those two lines go together somehow, lol...

He's cutting them locally? what about the ones I sent you?
I like the wheels a bit forward too. Final wheelbase is 10-1/4".

Tonight I did a little body detailing, got rear body mounts in, filled grill, misc stuff, started gas tank.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:07 AM   #97
I wanna be Dave

Its about time you did that grille!

And that stance Is all kinds of hot right there...

I can't wait till May.
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:32 AM   #98
Quarry Creeper

Now that kicks ass!
slolx50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:49 AM   #99
Rock Crawler

it just keeps getting better and better looking each time.
4x4mtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:30 AM   #100
Quarry Creeper

it looks like with all the short angles it may actually right it self when it flips. great details also.
seven.two is offline   Reply With Quote