Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Traxxas Summit (from stock to super)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2009, 10:23 PM   #41
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkyhmltn View Post
What about stretching the chassis itself instead of trying to move the suspension further forward and back. That way you could keep the stock suspension geometry fairly easily. Just a thought.
The plan im working on now simply moves the diffs further apart without changing the suspension. The chassis itself is a molded plastic tub. The new one will be aluminum and delrin.
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2009, 02:34 AM   #42
Pebble Pounder

Cool project, can't wait to see it in action.

MIke
mikesativa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:08 AM   #43
Pebble Pounder

Any updates? Vids?
SUPERINVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:44 PM   #44
RCC Addict

Not latley. The motor/esc thing is still being worked out. The cobal puller couldnt handle the weight of this thing at speed. I got 2 7cell packs for it so right now its got the stock esc and motor back in it. New plan is a 2000kv brushless inrunner and a mamba monster on 4c lipo. The chassis is being cut right now but it will be awhile before its ready.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:18 PM   #45
RCC Addict

Well this thing has been SOOOOO much fun to break (no seriously, it NEVER made it home from an outing until i broke something, if you are going to bash, do it right)

But i got bored and stumbled into a mamba monster max (or two, thanks Steve!) and with switching diffs and 2 speeds i started thinking how cool this would be as a rock racer something-er-other. So i ordered up a full set of slayer arms, links, rockers, springs, etc and got a fresh coffee from starbucks.

Before

Hmm, where did this big pile of parts come from.

The summit diffs are different than normal revo diffs, they are wider on one side from the diff lock so the lower arm on that side had to be shaved a bit on the front. The rear one had to have the brace removed entirely (i might have been able to shave it more but i was getting tired). There is also a very slight shaving of the diff case itself but be very careful.

Now the arms droop evenly. (not sure why this pic turned out blurry but you get the idea)

Front is done. Not much wider than a 2.2 comp rig now about 9.75 hex to hex.

and a comparison shot of the rear still in stock summit form, more than a foot to the hexes

Rear is done, my summit was so dirty you can easily see where the new parts are, lol.

The stock body is not going back on it, i havent actually pulled this body out of the box since about a week after i got it but i wanted a big truck body to see how it looked. Eventually it will be getting a big Pro-Line f-650 or something along those lines. The wheels are temp also but they looked cool with the body for the photos.

....Mandatory

Not sure yet really where this build is going but since this got left in General Crawlers and its gonna be a rock racer i guess its all good.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:54 PM   #46
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Sweet!!
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:11 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Looks good sofar!
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:52 AM   #48
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJoe View Post
Looks good sofar!
Ya im really happy with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Sweet!!
Thanks. So when is the next sale on 2650kv Monsters?
Old 11-19-2009, 12:41 PM   #49
RCC Addict

Overkill is NOT a dirty word in my house

I ran it for about 10 minutes in front of my apt on 16.8v just ripping it and it was moderatley warm on the motor but the fan on the esc never kicked on. Its still running stock summit gearing so its really under-geared (remember the drivetrain was designed around 8inch tires).

Its fast, like 1/8th scale nitro buggy fast! I dont know how much it will crawl but i definatley wont lose on the race part of rock-race, hahaha.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:07 PM   #50
Rock Crawler

VIDEO!!!
miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:34 PM   #51
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller View Post
VIDEO!!!
Yea about the video. I have archives of video but nothing to edit it yet. I will do my best to get something up soon. Maybe ill order up Sony Vegas and see how it works.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:54 PM   #52
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culetto View Post
Its still running stock summit gearing so its really under-geared (remember the drivetrain was designed around 8inch tires).
I don't know if they'll fit, but I've got some NIP gears left over from my Slayer build. If you can get the part # you need I'll go hunt for them. If they fit, they're yours.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:58 PM   #53
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
I don't know if they'll fit, but I've got some NIP gears left over from my Slayer build. If you can get the part # you need I'll go hunt for them. If they fit, they're yours.
Awww Duuuuuude, what a sweet gesture.
Ripperfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:04 PM   #54
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripperfi View Post
Awww Duuuuuude, what a sweet gesture.
What can I say, that monkey/frog vid made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:11 AM   #55
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Thanks amigo, other than pinion and spur im not sure if any other gears from the 2speed summit tranny are interchangable. I have to tear the tranny apart for a good cleaning and re-lube anyway so ill let you know.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:18 AM   #56
Quarry Creeper

Culetto, I ended up down the same path as you except I started out w/ the slayer:
http://monster.traxxas.com/showthrea...hlight=mulepic

It's a very fun truck. This morning I added some weight to the front tires and it I'm able to climb 62 degrees which is a big improvement over 54 degrees I was at. JRH, mentioned forced articulation earlier, I think I'm going to try that. I'm also running mod1 gears 10/40T pinion/spur w/ a 4000kv novak brushless on 2s lipo. This is a pretty good combination for low end torque and a top speed of about 20mph. Much faster than this and the car is very tippy.
mulepic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:01 PM   #57

I realize this is an older thread but I was curious where this truck's going now.

Also, reading your initial review of the stock motor/ESC, I'm surprised you got less runtimes. It may be correct, if you were driving a lot in 2nd and or general bashing style driving.

In my experience in the month I've had the truck, I have kept it stock and used 4s 3700 mah HK lipos. From driving around in 1st gear about 80% of the time and trail crawling I can get over 40 minutes of runtime. I just got some 2s 5000 mah lipos so I should be able to get over an hour now.

Also good point about the motor bullet connectors, I probably should change that out to 4mm bullets. However I haven't found them to turn hot like they would with my older Rustler brushed setups.

The 775 motor has GOBS of torque and it's almost impossible to stall it in 1st gear. I did some calculating and at its maximum rated 100 amp draw at stall speeds it's putting out about ~240-280 in-oz of torque, which is only about 5 times the amount a typical 2200 kv XL motor (36x74mm) would have (~53 in-oz). Do some math and you're looking at about 70-90 ft-lbs of torque at the axles in first gear. That's why it can pull 5 kids in radio flyers like cake. Haha.

I'm torn between keeping it bone stock for the most part due to the water resistant setup (and I've dunked it a couple of times now... including the lipos) but I'm tempted to try my hand at 2s or 3s power using my MMax in brushed mode or if I can find a super low kv XL or XXL motor (45x65mm) in 5mm shaft size for some increased efficiency. As it is I am happy with it, except perhaps the transmission slop as discussed earlier, and needing more precise control at low throttle.

/Rambling. Let's see some pics of this Slum-mit already.

/Whew long post.
Summit2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:25 AM   #58

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednck21 View Post
we got a couple of these in at work friday and they are very cool....perfect basher material. ive heard people are having problems stripping the lockers by slamming them in and out while under power, so FYI
I have one and i have to say its kinda slow for a basher. I dont get what the hurry is to lock your diffs. I just stop and lock them. I have had problems will blowing motors and servos and breaking half shafts. Have plans to go to a kershaw designs 700ho duel motor setup and metal drive shafts.
kfieber1996 is offline   Reply With Quote