Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: 70duncan's Hustler Re-build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2009, 04:25 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default 70duncan's Hustler Re-build

Well, I have been wanting to make my Hustler a little better for quite some time now. I have been getting info here on RCC and trying come up with some ideas. After reading a post by TURBOFEST. I desided that I could do the upgrades to the huster that I was wanting. I have made some changes, but most of the inspuration came from TURBOFEST. He did a great job on his.

Well on to the boring part . My camera took a dump while I was in the prosses of rebuilding. So, some of these pictures are after the build. This has taken a lot longer than I had expected. My 70 Charger got done at the body shop, so it is now in the garage and I have been trying to work on it when I can. Also, my jeep that I use for work has been taking a beating. I work in the oil field, so I am constantly replacing bushings, u-joints, and everything else that falls off on that long bumpy road.

Here is the stock chassis.

And here is what I cut off.

I didn't like the placement of the links being on the outside of the chassis. I also didn't like having a metal skid.

So, I removed the metal and made a Delrin skid that would accept internal mount links.

Last edited by 70duncan; 06-30-2009 at 04:31 PM.
70duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2009, 04:34 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

This is what the chassis looks like after welding some 1/4" stock to the bottom. And drilling some recessed holes to bolt the links in with.

Here is a picture of the two pieces put together.

Once again, sorry for the poor picture quality. My camra broke and I am borrowing another.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:20 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I won't bore all of you with all the small details inbetween the pictures. But, if you have any questions, please let me know and I will be more than glad to answer them.

My camera was broke during all the measuring and re-measuring. It seemed to take for ever to get all the correct measurments for my links. I made the top links out of 3/8" delrin rod, and the bottom links out of 1/2" delrin rod. I use Traxxas Revo ends, and 4-32 all-thread to match them up.

I wanted to make the wheel base as close to 18" as possable. So my links were cut to:
Front Upper = 6 1/4"
Front Lowwer = 6 1/4"

Rear Upper = 7 1/4"
Rear Lowwer = 6 15/16"

I cut them this way, so I could clock my rear axle up. I am hoping this catch less sharp rocks.

With these measurments, my wheel base ended up being 17 7/8".

On to the pictures.

I also made my lower links with adjustable shock mounts.

And here is the way I wanted the links to mounted in the skid plate.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:35 AM   #4
Release your anger..

Thanks for the pics.

Are you going to narrow the cab a bit like TF?

Also, How is the front holding up w/o the brace?
ThinkTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:34 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Looks familiar!

Your gonna like all these mods...it really changes the Hustler alot for the better!

Nice work so far!

That brace is completely unneccesary once the stock skid is cut out.
TURBOFEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:02 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Looking like a nice start looking forward to meeting up with you on the 16th still want the spare bed at the hotel.....
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:49 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkTank View Post
Thanks for the pics.

Are you going to narrow the cab a bit like TF?

Also, How is the front holding up w/o the brace?
I am not going to narrow it yet. I didn't think I had time to do a compete rebuild before the Red Rock comp in Denver. And TURBOFEST is right. That front brace in completly unessasry. Expecualy with out the stock skid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper View Post
Looking like a nice start looking forward to meeting up with you on the 16th still want the spare bed at the hotel.....
Yes, I am need of the spare bed . I plan on being in Denver early on the 17th. I couldn't get the 16th off. I will be leaving late Sunday. My family and I are going to spend a few days in Telluride with the jeep .
Old 07-11-2009, 07:56 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Looks good, I'm looking forward to the Red Rocks Comp. Nice to see there will be a couple of other Huslters there.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 04:32 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOFEST View Post
Looks familiar!

Your gonna like all these mods...it really changes the Hustler alot for the better!

Nice work so far!

That brace is completely unneccesary once the stock skid is cut out.
Thanks TURBOBEST . I wouldn't of been able to do this with out reading your posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
Looks good, I'm looking forward to the Red Rocks Comp. Nice to see there will be a couple of other Huslters there.
I cann't wait to get together with every one at Red Rocks. I get my A$$ handed to me, be it is going to be fun. Lood forword to meet you guys. Did I hear that you are picking up kasper from the air port?

Sorry for the slow progress . I have been at work a lot this past couple of weeks. I did get out and do some testing with new mods.
I found that it is still a little light in the front end. I will get some more progress posted soon.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:28 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Yeah, I'm picking up Kasper. I have a class Saturday morning, so I'm hoping to stop by RR after that. I'm competing on sunday in supers.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:24 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Ok, I have some time post up the progress on this build. I clocked the rear axle up, inorder to help with the sharp pointed rocks we have around here. I hope you can see this in the picture ( I am trying to get as good as the pros on taking pictures).

This Picture shows the front axle at a neutral position to help keep the weight a little lower.

As you can see, I am using some batteries for front weight. I was using these batteries and some of the rear for my power. But I have now made the switch to LIPO.

Last edited by 70duncan; 07-12-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:33 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

This is a picture of the servo mounts that I made. All the servo mounts that I found to buy were way to week . They would eather bend under the load of this rig or they would allow the axle brace to twist.

So I desided to make my own. I used 3/16" aluminum angle and just cut it to fit. Drilled some holes and WHALA. I then drilled a hole in the bottom of the bracket and made a brace run to one of the axle tube bolts.

This works great . Now the only thing that twists is the tires or the whole axle tube . I will eventually add aluminum axle tubes when the TTR CVDs are out again. But I am not going to take this apart again untill I can find some CVDs.

I am headed out today to do some testing . I hope I will have some video and pictures to share when I get back.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:30 PM   #13
RCC Addict

That'll never work Hurry up and get those CVDs in the front and quit breaking parts already
Almighty Malach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:02 PM   #14

I might have missed it on here,but what are your lower links?
snow-junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:47 PM   #15

I like your brace.

The twisting of the servo mount was one of the weaknesses I noticed right away when I powered mine up for the first time.

I'll have to build one like that for mine.
CoolRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:25 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty Malach View Post
That'll never work Hurry up and get those CVDs in the front and quit breaking parts already
I will, just as soon as I get the 23mm adapters from 666. You Denver guys sure have the hook up for parts. I sure am surprised that the stock ones lasted all 4 courses.

I still think you should of gotten the Invite to the Worlds:?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow-junky View Post
I might have missed it on here,but what are your lower links?
The lower links are made of 1/2" Delrin ( Asetal ) Rod. Sorry for long delay, I have been with my family all week.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:35 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

The Delrin skid and inboarded lowers is a killer idea and looks great.

I'd be a bit concerned though about the structural integrity of the chassis with the nose brace being removed with the belly pan.
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:50 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I have had some time to work on the Hustler again, so I wanted to try the 1/4 scale servos. They are a lot cheaper than the regualar servos, but do have a little less power. But I wanted to try them any ways.

Here are the mounting brackets that I made out of 1/8" aluminum angle.

They are very strong, and stiffen up the axle tube .
Old 10-16-2009, 01:53 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

I also wanted to have BTA steering on the front axle. So this is what I came up with. It is not the best, but works for now while I deside if I want to keep the 1/4 scale servos. Let me know what you guys think of the hand tool made parts :?.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:50 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Thumbs up I like it

Turned out alot better than mine. And the skid plate looks good to
hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote