Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 6ch pistol grip radio v2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2010, 10:17 PM   #1
Got Worms?

Default 6ch pistol grip radio v2

Ok well i have built one 6 channel radio. I learned alot while i was building it and the hardware i used has alot of potential. Over the next few months i'm going to be making different styles of the radio until i find a way to pack the most functions into it. For this build i'm going to do a simple 6ch radio that has

(2) 3 pos switches
(1) momentary 3 pos switch
(1) non centering pot
(2) centering pots, the throttle trigger and steering wheel.

This radio will be ideal for a scaler which needs more than 3 channels but a 4pk is too pricey.

This radio will be completely computer programmable featuring

3 mixs or 1 if you use channels 5&6
trim on all 6 channels, physical trim pots on channels 1&2 for throttle and steering
Epa's on all 6 channels
virtually unlimited model memory
Channel reversing on all 6 channels
Dual rates on channel 1, 2 and 4, can be programmed to a switch
Also this was originally a airplane radio so throttle and pith curves are also programmable but i don't know how to work them.

Also it will have
frequency hopping 2.4ghz technology.
A 4 aa cell battery pack to keep weight to a minimum
and the nice ergonomics that got us started in rc the tq radio

I plan on building all this on a 100 dollar budget and my labor

So far this is what i have spent ( just about everything i need)

50.94- 2.4Ghz 6Ch Tx & Rx V2
4.34- Black paint
4.34-Red paint
9.97- (4) high quality AA nihm rechargables
2.97-ABS cement
20.00-TQ donor radio
5.40-Switches
2.00-radio programming software

99.96-total

I still have to buy a few resistors but i'd say i met my budget of 100, i could have got the standard quality rechargeable but these have no memory affect and i guess that batteries have a low drain, so if the batteries sat for 12 moths they'd only lose 40% of they're charge. So the packaging claims.

I have a general idea of switch placement but i am open to suggestion on where to put them. Also any suggestions of functions i could add for my v3 build would be great.

Once my radio gets here from china my Frankenstein will begin
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2010, 10:43 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Subscribed. If someone was ambitious they could make some money selling these, think about it, 6 channels, mixing, pc programmable, rx's that are cheap, all wrapped up in a tq body. If a person could streamline the process of building them and sell them for like $200-250 they would have more business than you could imagine.
cbtu0914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:02 AM   #3
Got Worms?

I've thought of that, i've even considered getting a vendor star and selling a few a month. But i don't want to waist alot of money if not very many people are interested. My plan is to make different radios and slowly add something else to it till i can get the most functionality out of it and sell a few lucky people the previous version to help pay for the next version. Then if seems enough people want one i'll buy the vendor star and make a few a month. I think if i would have done this before the 3e and 2.4 tq came out i'd have the market but not very many people need more than 3 chs
Old 08-11-2010, 02:05 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

wow. talk about ambitiuos!! i thought bendin my own chassis was cool. Guess you took it to a whole new level w the custom tx and what not. way to go. Hope you get it all packaged like you want!
rockwha? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:16 PM   #5
Got Worms?

Eventually this will turn into an tx that will be able to deliver everything a stick radio has to offer, independent drive of each axle. But i need to take steps towards that to pace my self and get used to building these and figure out how i can jam all this into a pistol grip. Also if i ever decide to make a motor in wheel crawler its going to require a custom radio and custom esc's. So Im doing these radios as my intro into elecs before i try and tackle a sensored brushless esc that will virtually eliminate stall and possibly be able to run more than 1 motor and have a huge bec to power all the servos on a miw crawler.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:19 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I've got a broken JR XS3 that I could donate if it helps. The throttle won't work but everything else seems, fine minus a few screw.

Pm me your info and I'll get it out when I can
djjiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:25 PM   #7
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjiz View Post
I've got a broken JR XS3 that I could donate if it helps. The throttle won't work but everything else seems, fine minus a few screw.

Pm me your info and I'll get it out when I can
I don't think i could use it, thanks for the offer though
Old 08-11-2010, 02:30 PM   #8
RCC Addict

No prob. If you ever figure out a use for it lmk. I'll even throw in a reciever that glitches like a sumbitch.
djjiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:11 PM   #9
Got Worms?

Does anyone know if they make like a paint or something that will give more grip on the handle, I though about like a textured spray paint but it seems kinda of a sandpaper type surface, i want more of a soft surface, may i should chop up a tire and glue it on.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:23 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Some guys in my club wrap the grip with bicycle tape, hockey tape, etc.
cave-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:28 PM   #11
Got Worms?

Thats an idea but i want a more professional look. My whole goal is to have a inexpensive radio that can hold up against the 4pk, it going to take some work and innovation but i think it can be done. Making it look good is important as well if it looks like cheap Chinese garbage thats what people will think it is.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:44 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

You could try using a paint in bed liner or plasti-dip type material. I'm sure you could use multiple coats to even up the thickness to your likening. Just a thought
JWEIMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:46 PM   #13
Got Worms?

isn't that just another hard plastic though
Old 08-12-2010, 03:50 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

this is something i'd be very interested in! keep us updated! could you use a dx3e? and modify that?
jthellfire911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:08 PM   #15
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthellfire911 View Post
this is something i'd be very interested in! keep us updated! could you use a dx3e? and modify that?
I will, I'll try and keep a good archive of pics too. No a dx3e is only 3 channels. And to use it as a donor case that would bump my budget to 180 dollars. I'm using the Hobbyking 6 channel radio guts and putting it into a pistol. I'm going to do some research on the 4pk here soon and see what functions i need to add to give the 4pk some competition. Also for anyone who has thoughts of a motor in wheel crawler but hasn't built it because of the radio i have a design already made for it so send me a pm and we can talk details.

I bought the ems shipping on the radio so i'm hoping i can start the project mid next week and have Frankenstein up and going in 2 weeks time. My biggest concern is modding it to have a 4 cell battery (AA's) instead of 8. But i think my soldering skills should be good enough.

Some of my plans on my next version after this is to have the battery as one pack and doesn't need to be removed to be charged, and possibly rtc stick for variable winch control or possibly even rear steer when needed. I am also looking at something for the handle like fitting a rubber pad to it some how. Eventually i may even add a screen to the radio to give it on the field programming, but this may limit model memory due to on-board memory limits. Many ideas have been thought of but i'm not an electrical genius so i have to do alot of research in order to be able to implement it into the radio
Old 08-12-2010, 04:10 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
I will, I'll try and keep a good archive of pics too. No a dx3e is only 3 channels. And to use it as a donor case that would bump my budget to 180 dollars. I'm using the Hobbyking 6 channel radio guts and putting it into a pistol. I'm going to do some research on the 4pk here soon and see what functions i need to add to give the 4pk some competition. Also for anyone who has thoughts of a motor in wheel crawler but hasn't built it because of the radio i have a design already made for it so send me a pm and we can talk details.

I bought the ems shipping on the radio so i'm hoping i can start the project mid next week and have Frankenstein up and going in 2 weeks time. My biggest concern is modding it to have a 4 cell battery (AA's) instead of 8. But i think my soldering skills should be good enough.

Some of my plans on my next version after this is to have the battery as one pack and doesn't need to be removed to be charged, and possibly rtc stick for variable winch control or possibly even rear steer when needed. I am also looking at something for the handle like fitting a rubber pad to it some how. Eventually i may even add a screen to the radio to give it on the field programming, but this may limit model memory due to on-board memory limits. Many ideas have been thought of but i'm not an electrical genius so i have to do alot of research in order to be able to implement it into the radio
pm sent
Old 08-12-2010, 04:28 PM   #17
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthellfire911 View Post
pm sent
replied
Old 08-12-2010, 04:50 PM   #18

Very ambitious...I'll be watching closely.
Stingrae71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:17 PM   #19
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingrae71 View Post
Very ambitious...I'll be watching closely.
Thanks, my radio was in customs this morning so proably monday or tues day i should have itthen the fun begins

I will also have some more news on a possible function it will have. I will update you guys once i know for sure.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:42 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

im stoked to see the progress on this thing and give my ideas for it! cant wait till its done!