Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Radio for a Super

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 09:31 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Radio for a Super

I am trying to get my super up and running. I was wondering if someone could recommend a radio that is easy to set-up and use for 4ws on the super.

I have a dx3r but was thinking of buying a stick spektrum radio?? Also what reciever will I need?

If someone has one cheap hit me up.

Just in case...I will be running a fxr/2-55t motors/ and 2-5995t hitec servos. Clod axles.

Thanks for the assistance.
Desert Rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2011, 10:13 PM   #2
Ty
Quarry Creeper

4PK is what you need, and Harley's youtube setup video makes it very easy! I love mine
Ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:13 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

The Futaba 4PK has become the standard, but I understand the 4PL is doing all that we need for a much lower price, without a lot of unused features that the 4PK has. Check some of Harley's threads in Electronics.

There are still a lot of guys using stick radios that are quite happy with them. Just a matter of what you think you'll be comfortable with. I used a stick for a few years and found I made too many mistakes with the sticks. It was like driving two trucks at once. With the 4PK I feel like I'm driving one truck with only one extra channel to deal with.

There are pros and cons for both types. For me, personally, the cons of the stick, in the end, didn't outweigh the really bitchin pros.

Last edited by blue10; 07-11-2011 at 11:18 PM.
blue10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:35 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

IMO, if you are going to use a pistol grip radio, you need one with a thumbwheel for the rear steer. It is MUCH faster than a push switch. The only two radios that I have seen with this are the 4PK and the Nomadio React. I use the React for my super and it performs perfectly!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:37 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue10 View Post
The Futaba 4PK has become the standard, but I understand the 4PL is doing all that we need for a much lower price, without a lot of unused features that the 4PK has. Check some of Harley's threads in Electronics.

There are still a lot of guys using stick radios that are quite happy with them. Just a matter of what you think you'll be comfortable with. I used a stick for a few years and found I made too many mistakes with the sticks. It was like driving two trucks at once. With the 4PK I feel like I'm driving one truck with only one extra channel to deal with.

There are pros and cons for both types. For me, personally, the cons of the stick, in the end, didn't outweigh the really bitchin pros.

This actually helps a lot. I thought the standard was stick....good to know. I sure would love to have all futaba but the cost to switch the spektrum stuff over would be pricey due to all the rxs I would need.
Desert Rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:07 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I use a dx3r with a losi mini radio taken apart and installed in a project box attached to the bottom with velcro. Gives me a dx5r, didn't have extra $$ layin around to buy a futaba. I've used just switch rear steer for soooo long it works fine for me, although I am trying to find the right switch or wheel to use for the rear steer now that I have an extra steer channel not being used.
slowrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:15 AM   #7
20K Club

I have a couple videos up showing different setups with the 4PK and 4PL. Both have rear steer programs built in or you can just run them completely independent. The 4PL is only $200 and RX's are cheap. Most people are better with a pistol than a stick radio so it's usally a better option for about the same money.

I don't have access to YouTube here at the office but my username is BirdReynolds on there.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote