Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Super Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2004, 09:27 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Super Tire

Well,
I tried all sorts of ideas and this worked the best. I think I have the most expensive rc tires in the world now!

Check 'em out. The work rediculously well!!!!!!!

DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2004, 09:29 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Super Tire

nuther

Old 06-07-2004, 09:55 AM   #3
Colt Python/SR9c

WTF are those

i like them, so now lets hear the details of how you made them and what tires are all in it did you cut up a baja claw and just glue it on to the kongs??
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 10:09 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

That thing better crawl like my 1:1 for how much money you ave in it!!

Seriously though, I put a little thought into your last "Super Tire" and I remember that a guy I once met used mountain bike tires as tracks on an RC and it looked killer. The circumfrance of one MB tire would be more than enough to wrap around the circumfrance of your Jumbo Ks. You originally thouhg tof using some Dirt Dawgs but the MB tires can have a more aggresive tread and be softer than the DDawgs.
Get to work.
BARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 10:59 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Yep. Those are my narrowed Kongs with Claw Dog side lugs glued on. They work unbelievably well. I can't tell you how much of an improvement it made. Took a lot of time cutting off each side lug from the tires. It was also a little sad watching an expensive set of tires become a donation to the ultimate tire......but......who cares.....it's all in the name of perfection!!!

As for the bike tire idea.....that sounds pretty cool. I'm still kicking around some new ideas as well but I had to make these in the mean time for the comp on the 19th. I'm not sure if I can make anything better......although, you can alway make better!
Old 06-07-2004, 11:18 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Yea.. what Toy said.. we need some details!
Rufies97XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 11:19 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

what do you want to know about them?
Old 06-07-2004, 11:25 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkDigler
Yep. Those are my narrowed Kongs with Claw Dog side lugs glued on. They work unbelievably well. I can't tell you how much of an improvement it made. Took a lot of time cutting off each side lug from the tires. It was also a little sad watching an expensive set of tires become a donation to the ultimate tire......but......who cares.....it's all in the name of perfection!!!
I didn't see this when i posted last...
How long did it take to do this?

looks pretty wild!
Old 06-07-2004, 12:26 PM   #9
Colt Python/SR9c

he is wanting to know how long it takes so he can have me do them to his tires, but he has to learn sometime

what glue did you use pete? i may just have to attach some of the lugs i cut off my BFT's to the sides
Old 06-07-2004, 12:34 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Hmmmm! I actually had BFT lugs i cut off, on the kongs to begin with. I did this as a test to see if it would be worth cutting up an almost new set of Claw dogs. After I tested it out, it worked great and out came the sissors to cut up the Dogs. The BFT lugs worked great but they were a tad bit too small. They were also a little too firm because they were thin. I like the Claw Dog lugs because they are soft and squishy. They won't tear of the tire as easily due to their flexibility as well.

I just used 15 second CA to "tack" them on and then went around the perimeter of each lug with some black rubberized CA. They will tear the tire before they will come off now.

Took a couple of hours to complete the job. The cutting was the tough part.
The only difficult part was to trim down the lugs that run down towards the wheel. They are very thick and I had to cut them so they were approximately half the thickness or they would have been sticking out way too far off of the tire. Other than that, it was cut and glue!
Old 06-07-2004, 12:36 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

One other benefit to this is this: Narrowed Kongs can use some sidewall support. Being so tall and skinny, you have to rely on the foams so they don't flex out of control These side lugs really help stablize the tall sidewall. One of the best mods I've done!
Old 06-07-2004, 12:37 PM   #12
Colt Python/SR9c

ahh ok, well guess i may not use my BFT pieces then . at least ya saved me some work now
Old 06-07-2004, 12:39 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Don't get me wrong. The BFT lugs worked great.......the Claw Dog lugs just worked a little better. The Dog lugs are also slightly curved, so they fit the tire perfectly.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:43 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Yep, Its now official!!!

Dirk, you have way toooo much time on your hands.
BARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 01:47 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Actually,
All my time is spent with my kids, wife and house. After the kids go to bed is when my rc time begins. What I have is a lack of sleep. I was up til 3 in morning a few nights ago finishing these things. But overall.......I probably do have too much time on my hands. But how cool are those tires!!!!!!!!!!!????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-09-2004, 10:25 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

After extensive testing with these new side lugs, I can report that the IC-2000 rubberized CA glue has held up incredibly well. I have not torn a lug off, even in the most extreme situations. They are completely flexible still and have helped the side biting traction 100%. Once again, I would highly recommend this mod to any tire that needs a little more bite on the sidewall.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:43 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Might be a dumb question... but did you just the extra tread on the "outside" of the tire.. . or the inside also?

need some action shots...lol..
Old 06-09-2004, 10:47 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Good question. I am debating weather or not to put some on the inside of the tire as well. I don't have any now. When crawling, you tend to use the outside sidewall to bite on things more than the inside. Although, that little bit of an edge may help. Like I said, I'm still considering it but I'm just not sure that I need it.

You'll get many actions shots from the June 19th Competition. Although, many of the pictures from the event will be of my truck in the Winner's Circle!!!!! 8O
Old 06-09-2004, 02:16 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

I've got a tire ?. So last night I took an old tire and started drawing out a tread patteren to cut, started cutting and it looks like crap. How do you guys clean then up so well? I used a small pair of dikes ti cut with. Any help would be great. I'm using a practice tire before diving into my new TXT tires.

Rims are next.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 02:18 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

No one told you? After you are done, you have to soak the tires in sulfuric acid for one hour. That cleans up the areas that you cut up. Works like a charm. After they are done soaking, you will see a big black pile of rubber at the bottom of the acid. Don't worry, it's normal!