Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Could This Be The Real Clod Stall Remedy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2008, 10:03 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Could This Be The Real Clod Stall Remedy?

I've searched and read till my eyes have bled and got nothing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Please. It seems that every one has one conclusion to solve clod stall... lower gearing and higher volatge. Then I hear of servo glithing becomeing an issue. Something about the battery starving one of the servo's? Can all of this be solved by running two batteries, one for the motors and one for the servo's? Then If I were to run 11.1v lipo on the motor's and say a 7.4v lipo on the servo's no glitch, right? Or does the problem lay in the reciever, I've never heard this kind of issue with the flyers out there? They must be running multiple servo's and motors on their multi channel rigs? Whould love for somebody to help me out in this area, summers getting closer and I need to fish with the electronics in my rig.
jeepfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2008, 10:08 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

That's what I do
f150dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:21 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

The real solution to Clod stall is to run two speed controllers, on two different channels. That way you can throttle the front and rear of the truck separately as needed, and you'll never have stall again. The Clodbuster's only disadvantage becomes a true asset that way. Able to control the axles individually, you can turn the truck around within it's own wheelbase, have the rear axle load up the front axle with pressure before you throttle the front axle to climb over a rock, and you can do digs anytime, any place.

Lower gearing helps helps, but isn't as good as the above set-up.

On the subject of glitching, well that is more likely related to a speed controller that can't support running more then one high torque servo at a time. You need to make sure the ESC has a strong BEC, of at least 3 or 5 amps. The higher, the better. Or your other option is to run a regulator and separate pack, as you said, just for the electronics.

Last edited by Espeefan; 02-25-2008 at 10:27 AM.
Espeefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:38 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Thanks Espeefan! Thats been the best eplanation so far that I've heard. But what's a guy to do if he dosn't want to run a 6 or 7 channel radio? Can you get the same results with any 4 channel? Front steering, throtle, front and rear dig on one servo and then rear steer on the last channel?
Old 02-25-2008, 11:06 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Only need four channels mate:

Ch1: Front axle throttle.
Ch2: Rear axle throttle.
Ch3: Front axle servo.
Ch4: Rear axle servo.
4link4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:15 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

plus a slot on the rx if you want to run a BEC (most have a 'batt' slot, but some don't)
ClodMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:22 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Yup, a 4 channel stick radio would be the minimum requirement, I think. Put front axle throttle and steering on one stick, rear axle throttle and steering on the other. It takes some getting used to, but when you do get comfortable with the driving, it'll become second nature.
Espeefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:47 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Mentioned already, but worth mentioning again. Running a external BEC like the Castle Creations one is cheap and will ensure sufficient power to your servos.
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:50 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I know that a 4 channel stick radio is alot cheaper than a 4 channel pistol grip but they're starting to come down. Is there a way to combine the 2 throtles as one with proportioning? Like 60% rear and 40% front or whatever works? You would have only one stick to deal with and the other to steer. Switches to dig and counter steer.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:53 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

yup.

i can show you this weekend. that's exactly how i have mine set up.
ClodMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:12 AM   #11

everything that is four + channels is for air, not surface. isnt this a problem???
wade280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:56 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Uh, no. There are tons of surface 4 channel radio's, and spectrum radios can do either.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:04 AM   #13

so as long as i use a 75mhz radio and not a 72mhz radio im fine??
wade280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:59 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

I've toyed with the idea of dual TX/RX as well. You'd have to do some serious hacking to use both TX at once (or co-pilot!) but it would be a lot cheaper, very simple on the RX part, and awesome redundancy. Probably only work with synthesized FM or DSM, but it would be fun.
firebat45 is offline   Reply With Quote