Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: V-Prime Rip-Off?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2005, 08:28 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default V-Prime Rip-Off?

I understand people building there own chassis (for whatever reason), and pattern it after a proven rig. But to profit from something unorigional? Correct me if I am wrong, but this chassis from The Crawler Store looks a hell of a lot like utrcrc's v-prime chassis. At least it's too close to make it origional.

The Crawler Store's NN chassis:
http://www.thecrawlerstore.com/images/NN/ShinnyNN.JPG

UTRCRC's V-Prime chassis:
http://utrcrc.com/images/vprime1.jpg
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2005, 08:35 PM   #2
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

You have to be kidding me!

While it has the similar shape they are very different. It is obvious just by looking at the pictures.

Look at the the TLT chassis', if you take the side plates off of each one and compare them they will be very close. Why? Because that is what works for the design of the rig.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:53 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

The crawler store is very different.The biggest being adjustable wheelbase.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:56 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

zactly... people find a chassis style that works for that type of crawler... just like a car from year to year... they change the body styles in subtle ways but it is a change...
Old 09-12-2005, 09:12 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Yeah, I did notice the wheelbase, but it still looks very similar too me. But hey, what do I know.

Last edited by utbeamer; 09-12-2005 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:09 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I have had the V prime. The NN is nothing like it. The NN is only 2.5 inchs wide. Straight sides. The Vprime has beveled sides and non adjustable wheel base.

I think that Kevin invests a lot of time in his designs. I think that more people have "borrowed" from his ideas than the other way around.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:05 PM   #7
v33
Rock Crawler

yes the NN design is very nice though i cannot see how anyone can justify the price specially with its lack of bling factors. i would like to see it a little cheaper and im sure it could blow the competitions away.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:15 PM   #8
R.I.P. Chip

What are you talking about? The price is very good. I think it is about the cheapest chassis out there. People are paying $70 for tlt chassis' with no link mounts, no links, ect.

Here you get all of that, add axles, electronics and you are ready to go.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by v33
yes the NN design is very nice though i cannot see how anyone can justify the price specially with its lack of bling factors. i would like to see it a little cheaper and im sure it could blow the competitions away.
Where do you guys come from?

I guess if it were made in Asia it might be a little cheaper huh?
Old 09-12-2005, 11:26 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger

I guess if it were made in Asia it might be a little cheaper huh?
I doubt that the vendors here make much per hour building chassis as it is.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by utbeamer
I doubt that the vendors here make much per hour building chassis as it is.
Yeah, probably a fraction of what they make in there day jobs.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:44 AM   #12
Dirt Addict

Location: Stumblin' thru the parking lot of an invisible 7-Eleven

You guys are too funny. First Kevin comes out with the "Stick" and people say:

"Uh uh ....it's too different. It can't be a crawler. Ban it. It doesn't look right."

Then he builds a more conventional style chassis that people have been building for years with a tweak here or there and now:

"It's too much the same as another chassis.....foul."

Just kinda cracks me up...........

There are only so many ways to build a chassis like this and he has taken bits and pieces from a lot of designs and combined with a few of his own ideas to offer what looks like high performance chassis at a very good price.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.......

Jay
Old 09-13-2005, 05:46 AM   #13
Landy mad

I'll put my two penneth worth in...

Shape is similar but function is completely different with being able to alter the NN wheelbase.

As for copying......it goes on elsewhere in industry so surely it will encourage competition and progression of designs.

Price.....for me with the exchange rates it's a bargain
Old 09-13-2005, 06:30 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

The price for the NN is very reasonable. It takes alot of research and development time to put out a worthy chassis and most people dont take that into consideration. The stick definately is outside the box thinking and it is a very competitive design. I wouldnt want to guess at the amount of time Kevin has in it. Now the nn gets introduced into the market and there is probably just as much time involved in the r&d of it and people squawk about the design and and price. Kevin put out top quality products and they are worth every penny.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:32 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by v33
Smoke much crack??

edit: opium

edit2:
Anyway, I think it kicks a$$ for the price. Might pick one up for the clod that I am building for a friend.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:36 AM   #16
Adilynsdad too!

I think I pay too much in taxes, gas is too high, and the interest rates still suck. Kevin, if you lower the price on the chassis can you see about doing something about my concerns too?

D a m n Kevin what is your problem? Why are you making us buy your stuff?
Old 09-13-2005, 08:29 AM   #17
bendforthebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by utbeamer
Yeah, I did notice the wheelbase, but it still looks very similar too me. But hey, what do I know.
absolutley nothing!!

I guess this is a Bulu rip off then cuase its got the same shape!

Bulu
Old 09-13-2005, 12:43 PM   #18
v33
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason
What are you talking about? The price is very good. I think it is about the cheapest chassis out there. People are paying $70 for tlt chassis' with no link mounts, no links, ect.

Here you get all of that, add axles, electronics and you are ready to go.
i admit from a certain perspective the cost may be justifiable, specially if there is no option to fab your own parts. but then from my perspective it isnt, i am entitled to my own opinion, right?

im just thinking of it from a business perspective, it could sell more and may be more viable if it was cheaper, say $20 or less cheaper than current and it could blow off all other competitions of the same calibre.

btw, yes Badger i am from Asia but not Chinese, and yes i believe they can fabricate it for less. oh, and no thefordmccord ... i never did crack nor opuim or any kind of drugs ... i hope i could say the same for you.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by v33
btw, yes Badger i am from Asia but not Chinese, and yes i believe they can fabricate it for less. oh, and no thefordmccord ... i never did crack nor opuim or any kind of drugs ... i hope i could say the same for you.
Thats great.

Why don't you take a look at his part list and price out everything he adds and tell me it's not a killer deal.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:59 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by v33
i admit from a certain perspective the cost may be justifiable, specially if there is no option to fab your own parts. but then from my perspective it isnt, i am entitled to my own opinion, right?

im just thinking of it from a business perspective, it could sell more and may be more viable if it was cheaper, say $20 or less cheaper than current and it could blow off all other competitions of the same calibre.

Did you read what all it comes with though?? It comes with everything you need. If you have a complete running clod, then you could turn it into a comp wining rig for 150 bucks, with the exception of tires. I just don't see how you can look at this and say that it cost to much.
Closed Thread