Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: 2nd update to lil Samson new pics 98% finished!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2004, 09:59 PM   #1

Default 2nd update to lil Samson new pics 98% finished!!!

Alright its been a while since I posted anything new on my first crawler (Lil samson). been real busy working. but her goes some new pics...

I decided to go with a traxxas evx. 2-3000 mah batts, lexan side panels for custum chassis, narrowed stock clod rims, custom links, hs 805bb 1/4 scale servo for front steering and hs 645 for rear steering and its all wired to the same steering channel on the receiver but the 1/4 scale has its own battery because of the power drain( so in other words I dont have to flip a switch for 4ws, I have 4ws all the time with no problems...) and I also made the stock clod axles wider with some tubing I had lying around. I added 2 inches on both sides of the axles. I got this Idea from a post that I saw on this web site. and if you notice in the pics I made 2 iron crosses to hold the 2 7.2 batts in place..

Ive done alot of work on this and changed alot of the original Ideas I had in the begining but all and all I think it turned out okay for my first time. the few things left to do is grind some of the welds down and either mount the stock bumpers or make some custom ones, Im still debating it. Im also looking into changing the stock motors to probably some mag mayhems or lathe motors but not sure which ones yet.

Let me know what you guys think as I got the ideas from this web site. thanks for all your gay's help... oh an one more thing Ive taken this bad boy crawling and it hadles nice..,.
ploc111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2004, 12:12 AM   #2
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Default Re: 2nd update to lil Samson new pics 98% finished!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploc111
thanks for all your gay's help
Cool looking clod!

You gotta love typo's!
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 12:17 AM   #3

damm my bad, I always try to proof read my post before submitting them. sorry about that. thanks for the comment.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:20 AM   #4
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploc111
damm my bad, I always try to proof read my post before submitting them. sorry about that. thanks for the comment.
No worries here. It's funnier when it is an honest mistake!
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 09:28 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Holy Moly! 8O
DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 11:11 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

What is the WB and width on that now? 8O Do you got any more pics on that wider axle?
traildevil67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 03:28 PM   #7

I will get more detailed pics of the axles tonight as well as the mesurements.....
Old 11-09-2004, 05:02 PM   #8
MODERATOR™

AAaahhhh my eyes! Those are blurry right?

Try placing the camera on something to help stabilize your shaky hand.

Otherwise, cool man.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 05:50 PM   #9

Ok here are some closer pics of the moified axles, the length of the tube I used was 3 in on each side of the axle. and as far as the wb its 25 in and the width is 18 in and under the chassis I have 6.5 in clearance. its pretty big but I like the way it looks, not only that but it crawls pretty good!!! sorry about the blured pics im still getting used to my new digital camcorder once I get the hang of the cam I try to get some vids... thanks. any comments will be appreciated...

Old 11-09-2004, 05:59 PM   #10
bendforthebone

that is one wide clod axle
badtodabone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 06:06 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Looks like a bit o JB weld action!

Whatever works! Let us know how it holds up.

And lower that thing some!! :P
SR5Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 01:49 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Yeah I like those WIDE axles! How did you modify the innner axle?
Old 11-10-2004, 02:53 PM   #13

Well basically I cut the outer housing in half where the ball joint is then I got the tube I was going to use, measured it to the lengtht that I wanted and then cutted the tube. Then I got all three pieces ( both pieces of the axle and the tube ) and slided them together ( Note: I had to grind down the ball joint just a bit to get it through the tube I was using) and measured and thats how I got my measurement for the drive shaft. I then got some 3/16 round bar and cut the extensions I needed to make the drive shafts longer. I grinded down the edges of the drive shaft peices and of the extension peice ( So the weld can be stronger ) and got a metal ruler, Lined up the peices and comenced welding them together. after that I grinded the extended drive shaft put it all back together just to make sure it lined up, once that was done I mixed up some jb weld and applied it to the tube and the axle let it cured for 24 hours and done... I went a little crazy with the jb weld, but I wanted to make sure it was goig to stay 8O 8O 8O

I did this to all the axles but since this is rock crawling the welds that you use to put on the drive have to be very strong if there not the drive shaft will brake . I learned this the hard way untill I got it just right.

Keep the comments coming and thaks for your guys help!!!!
Old 11-10-2004, 05:50 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Wow, that's really cool.

I'm concerned about the strenght at the knuckles, with the JB weld. Have you crawled it very hard yet? Like, fipped it over, rolled down a hill, landed on one wheel?
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 06:14 PM   #15

Ive tooken it crawing on rocks, hills and dirt and its proably flip about three times, but thats because I was trying to crawl a rock or a hill with way too much of a steep angle. 8O 8O 8O And as far landing hard on one tire I have done it with no problems, YET. The only problem I had so far was that one of the drive shaft broke ( SNAPED ) but thats due to not having a strong weld on there. I will probably fix it tonight or tommorow.

Keep the feedback coming
Old 12-08-2004, 09:44 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

So are there any new updates on this truck? Just wondering how the axle's are holding up :?
Old 12-09-2004, 01:22 AM   #17

yes there is new pics I will post them soon, the axles are holding up real nice. The last problem I had was that one of the drive shafts snaped , but that was due to the fact that the weld was not strong enough

As far as updates: Getting 2 lathe motors, 2 1/4 scale servos front and back and much more. will post pics soon!!!!