Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Clod not working...HELP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2007, 03:15 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Clod not working...HELP

I've been building this thing for way to long and it still does not work. ( I know, it's not that hard, but I must be an idiot)

I have a 17"WB pimp cane

A Moped V16 bravo esc

Stock clod axles w/ E-maxx 550 motors

a Hitec 645 or something front servo

a traxxas (Stock E-maxx) servo in the rear

I'm runnin' a stock E-maxx radio and receiver w/ a 4w steer mod

with a six c 3000 pack or 3600 7 cell pack, tried both

and 40 series beadlocks with moab XLs.

O.K. my question is.....is there any reason for these parts not to work together? I've used the following drawing to wire it up and all I can do with it is go forward or backwards a short distance before the things start jumping around and shuts down on me. I turn it off and wait a second and turn it back on and it works again for maybe aminute if I lucky. I have unplgged the servos to make sure that was not it and teh same thing happens. When I leave one or both servos plugged in it dies the second I try to turn, even if the wheels are taken off to prevent any lugging.
I'm sick and tired of this thing and I want to crawl it. Please help!! If I'm just an idiot tell me and then help.
thanks
-BIGMAXX-
-BIGMAXX- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2007, 03:40 AM   #2
RCC Addict

I'm not sure, but I don't know if the MOPED can support 2 550 motors. I know it can support 1 (I've tried) but 2 might be pushing it. Are you using a reciever pack? Because when you say "as soon as I try to turn it dies" I think it's a BEC problem.
4link4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 05:32 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

esc doesnt have the power to power a 550 motor
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:03 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

The popular choices are Super rooster, Mamba Max, EVX, Quark, and I think a NOVAK GTB. I just woke up so Im probably wrong on the GTB but it one of em. There are others but these seems to work to the situation. I use a Super Rooster in my clod and my 2.2
FinishLineRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:48 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

First things first. How do you have your motors wired up?

I have never tired running 2 550 motors off it. Just ditch those motors and get some lathes. better run times and better comtrol over your throttle. Motors are cheap and are a very important investment. If you can get them get the Axiom 65t or 55t. If not Integy 55t and 65t work good also.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 08:31 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

if you wire them in series the esc can handel them. 2 27 turn motors wired in series is seen by the esc as 1 54 turn motor. the thing i didnt like about series wiring is that the stall was horrible and they were really, not enough speed to help "bump" over an obstacle
'83 chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 08:36 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by '83 chevy
if you wire them in series the esc can handel them. 2 27 turn motors wired in series is seen by the esc as 1 54 turn motor. the thing i didnt like about series wiring is that the stall was horrible and they were really, not enough speed to help "bump" over an obstacle
Wire the rear motor first. Then run your postive and Negitive off the rear motor to your front. That should help with the stall. If that doesn't work as good as you want. Go with dual ESC's and a 4 channel radio. On my 2.2 Clod I have never even had it stall out on me. Not once. And I have the front motor wired first and then wired to the rear...Nut that is also only a 2.2 rig and not a super. The Dual ESC is the only true way of getting rid of stall.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:41 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn
Wire the rear motor first. Then run your postive and Negitive off the rear motor to your front. That should help with the stall. If that doesn't work as good as you want. Go with dual ESC's and a 4 channel radio. On my 2.2 Clod I have never even had it stall out on me. Not once. And I have the front motor wired first and then wired to the rear...Nut that is also only a 2.2 rig and not a super. The Dual ESC is the only true way of getting rid of stall.
ya the series wiring was in my old clod. now im running 55 lathes and moped esc wired in parallel with the rear wired first with 9 front and 8 rear gearing and no more stall.
'83 chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 09:00 AM   #9
MODERATOR™

Series wiring doesn't work on a Clod. The power goes to the motor with the least resistance.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:50 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

O.K. thats my problem!! so who has some motors they want to sell me. Im not sure what turn motor I need, but I want it to be an unstoplable crawler, if that matters.
Thanks guys
-BIGMAXX-
Old 01-28-2007, 10:59 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Well Thats a loaded question. You can go brushless and get a better ESC like a Mamba Max or just get some Lathes. The new V10 60t are pretty sweet. They also have them in and 55t.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:09 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I'm not loaded with cash, so I'm thinking of going with some lathe motors that will work with one moped esc. I think brushless would be sweet but this is a super budget build, thats way I'm runnin the moped. also no reciever pack used
Old 01-29-2007, 04:39 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

which turn motor are ppl runnin in these and what about gear reduction? Is it needed?
Old 01-29-2007, 04:41 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Go with a Integy 55t or 65t Lather motor. Thats about the cheapest ones you can get.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:49 PM   #15
I lost my vendor privileges

i run 2 axles snappers and an evx on my clod with 14.4v it is unstoppable. it breaks stub axles and 4/40 bolts regularly.
clodstall is offline   Reply With Quote