Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: axle link brackets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2007, 07:48 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default axle link brackets

I noticed rc4wd has brackets to attach links onto clod axles but i can't get myself to ditch out $30 for them. I know some of you guys made your own. Would you mind sharing your ideas? I think i can make my own but with limited tools, it might be quite difficult so i'm looking for that easy fix if it's out there. I already have the holes drilled on the knuckle and with the link directly attached to it, it doesn't get enough clearance to twist properly so i know it has to be mounted away from the knuckle. Could i just use a simple spacer and nut/bolt and mount it about 1/4" away from the knuckle? I don't know if that will be strong enough.
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2007, 07:57 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Are you using conical washers with your current installation? We use those and have no problems with lack of articulation. Some of the adapters you're talking about cur down on axle clearance as they mount above and below of the axle tube itself.

CPE MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:01 AM   #3
RCC Addict

No i ain't using those. It's actually the first time i've seen those. Do those act as "spacers" to push the mounting point away from the knuckle? Are those order items or can i get them locally somewhere?

I had an idea of using some extra end link balls i had laying around as spacers.

Last edited by muddeprived; 04-16-2007 at 08:04 AM.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:05 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

no, they have the beveled edge allowing the rod end more movement, and yes, it does act as a spacer but not really its primary use.

CPE MT, where did you get those at? the only ones i've found were from yeah racing i got from wallawalla.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:50 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

you mean these http://rc4wdstore.com/product_info.p...roducts_id=166 if so they are a waste of money for a crawler they are ment for racing and jumping most of us mount the lower link on the axle stay hole with a conical washer
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:44 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorsteenster View Post
CPE MT, where did you get those at? the only ones i've found were from yeah racing i got from wallawalla.
he sells them on his web site:
http://www.crawfordperformanceengine...P6&log_pid=yes

New Era Models also has them:
http://www.neweramodels.com/cgi-bin/...=&part_id=3198
rcktpwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 07:23 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I was going through all the bits and parts i had laying around for my clod build and noticed a good looking set of nuts i had that were supposed to be used on the clod. The nuts are shaped like conical washers and fit on the bolts i use for the links perfectly. I stuck one nut on against the knuckle and then the rod end and finally another nut. Now it can flex like it should with no binding against the knuckle. I guess i don't have to order conical washers after all

The nuts came from the clod parts bag B. There's a shi$load of them in there.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:29 PM   #8
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPE MT View Post
Are you using conical washers with your current installation? We use those and have no problems with lack of articulation. Some of the adapters you're talking about cur down on axle clearance as they mount above and below of the axle tube itself.

i run bretts CPE conical washers on ALL my clods. on both sides of the link ball. i think i have 4 of the 16 piece sets
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote