Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: Revo links on the cr01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2008, 08:07 PM   #1

Default Revo links on the cr01

My buddy just recently took my cr01 for a week, and it came back a new rig. He put Revo links on the bottom and put the old bottom ones on top streched the wheelbase 1o 12 1/4'' left the top spring cups where they were at stock and this thing damn near almost gets 90 degrees of articulation in the back. Believe it or not I still have the cantis. LOL.. He also put pede yokes on it with axial shafts and it was perfect length after the stretch. I really believe this thing will compete with some comp. rigs with my full chasisied cr01. Still trying to figure out how to post pics, but they will hopefully be coming soon, ill get some of me schoolin his ax10!!!
crawlinmancr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2008, 09:42 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlinmancr01 View Post
My buddy just recently took my cr01 for a week, and it came back a new rig. He put Revo links on the bottom and put the old bottom ones on top streched the wheelbase 1o 12 1/4'' left the top spring cups where they were at stock and this thing damn near almost gets 90 degrees of articulation in the back. Believe it or not I still have the cantis. LOL.. He also put pede yokes on it with axial shafts and it was perfect length after the stretch. I really believe this thing will compete with some comp. rigs with my full chasisied cr01. Still trying to figure out how to post pics, but they will hopefully be coming soon, ill get some of me schoolin his ax10!!!
Sound intersting .
To post pics go to a hoster, imageshack or photobucket, cright click to copy the img tag and put into you reply
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:37 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I'm intrigued by this as well.. can't wait for pics!
kevin107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:52 PM   #4

Pics are coming soon, this cr-01 crawls exceptionally well!! Keep checkin back..Thanks for looking guys
Old 09-09-2008, 12:50 PM   #5

This thread is worthless without PICTURES!
StarOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:56 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

First off, I do not mean to hi-jack this thread. If you want me to create a new thread, I can. I just thought it would be easier to add -on to this thread.

Last night i replaced the 4 rear links on my CR01 with traxxas revo toe links (part# 5338 ~5.1inches long). I also replaced the 2 front bottom links with part 5338 and the front top links with traxxas part#5141 ~4.7inches long). Geez the wheel base is now around 15 inches. I knew going into this mod that I would lose the "scale" look, but it looks really off, especially when you put the FJ40 body back on. Both the front and rear axles are now outside of the ladder frame fully exposing both servos (I have 4WS). Also as a result of this stretching, I had to replace both shafts with traxxas shafts.

As far as crawling improvement, it has become more evident now that I need to put weights on the front tires. At a 90-degree approach angle (ie straight on) i tried to climb a 6-inch curb, the front tires climb over easily but once it hits the center skid plate, the tires would just spin because it was balancing on its belly. I strapped a D battery on servo bumper and it crawled over curb. Before the link changes, the CR01 was easly able to do this. (fyi ihave panther cougars on the stock wheels.). Using any different angle of approach (ie 45-degree), it climbs the curb much much easier than with the stock links. The flex now is definitely much better. Torque twist is a better also.
(edit: what is the stock clearance at the center skid plate. right now, it is 2.75inches).

Stretched ax-10 to 15" and a question.
Based on what I read on this link, I will now put the original front links back on and see how it looks. Doing this will offset the weight...favoring the front. I will try both the 5338s and the 5141s in the rears and see which one does not absolutely kill the scale look and also give the CR-01 better crawling.

Before I make the changes I just mentioend, I'll update this post pictures tonight of the current set-up to show you how off it looks. I'll also take pictures of each of the set-ups I talked about above.

As always questions/comments/suggestions always welcomed!

Last edited by mtnhrdgr2; 10-21-2008 at 04:25 PM.
mtnhrdgr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:50 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Default traxxas link idea

i did a similar thing with traxxas links, it works awesome. the wheel base is exactly 12.5. soon i am installing a R2 transmission too. i have done many other things and a couple of weeks ago i entered it into its first comp.
minicracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:10 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Mini Cracker, correct me if I am wrong here, but you kept the stock front bottom links and used the revo links for the front top, right? Which part number did you use for the front top and rear links: #5338 ~5.1inches long, #5141 ~4.7inches long, or #5143 ~4.9inches long?

Last edited by mtnhrdgr2; 10-21-2008 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:58 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

side shot

side shot - close up on links

side shot - further away

front shot - top view

back shot - top view

ya ya, i know. my paint job is messed up now. now i know 'rust-oleum universal advanced formula' all surface paint does not hold to lexan.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:55 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

i used the stock bottom links in a different position and the others are all off of a t maxx. I can't remember the part numbers but i can measure them if you want. i wanted a comp legal length.
minicracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:01 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Front Links: I took off the revo links and put the old links back on.

Rear Links: I moved the top links two holes up, and I moved the bottom links to where the top links used to be. By doing this, it allows the rear tires to come in contact with whatever it is climbing, and thus pull the truck up and over. Now the bad thing is if I am driving backwards, I can catch a ledge real hard. Any other problems that you know of by putting the rear lower links that high? This will be temporary until I can bend the rear lower links to act as a high clearance link.

I think that this is crawling the best I have had it. The only bad thing right now is what I mentioned above about tranny plate catching a ledge when driving backwards.

The scale look has improved from my previous post, but the rear wheels is still hurting it. I think I will convert the body to a FJ45. Having a bed should bring it back to scale look. Big project for me. It will take a while.

wheel base now 13.25inches using traxxas toe links part#5338. Using part#5141, and using different mounting holes, i'd be able to get to 12.50inches.

side shot of front (stock) links and the rear revo links

close-up of rear links in new locations
Old 01-30-2009, 05:10 PM   #12

Hey sorry guys I have not been on here in a while. Its ok Mtn. I deserve to get hijacked, cause of my absence!! Your wheelbase looks way long, I need to get my ass in gear and get some pics of mine. I see your located in San Jose, we should hook up and do some crawlin. I have two other buddies that got crawlers and we know of a few spots around here. Sound good?