Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: hilux shocks and future plans for the cr-01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2009, 02:36 AM   #1

Default hilux shocks and future plans for the cr-01

i put hilux shoks on my cr-01 until my new parts come in the mail. i ordered a rctrax chassis, junfac steering, junfac front battery mount plate and some gmade 104 mm red shocks. the hilux shocks give insane articulation but they sit too low, maybe thats good, but i don't like it. they also give way to a lot of torque spin on the chassis when going forward. i should probably put the springs back on and leave the stablizers bars and cantilevers off. when my other parts get here i want to then order a suzuki samurai body.. it should be pretty sweet. it won't even be a cr-01 really anymore after all that... esspecially when i get a rc4wd r2 dig tranny too.... i just threw on some rc4wd punisher shafts here a couple days ago... heres some pictures of the hilux shocks and the new articlation and the lowered ride hight punisher shafts and the new parts that are going to be on the cr-01 in a couple weeks. i'll update when the new parts get here.

new articualtion from hilux hilift shocks

new lowered ride hight

new punisher driveshafts

soon to be installed parts
junfac steering
[IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p79/eben81
/DSCN1309-1.jpg[/IMG]

rctrax chassis

junfac gmade red 104mm coilover shocks

junfac front mount battery plate

samurai body
eben81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2009, 07:24 AM   #2

nice work man
am doing the same thing on mine with the rctrax chassis
where did you get your's from?
thnx

Last edited by rachad6; 01-29-2009 at 07:26 AM.
rachad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:48 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachad6 View Post
nice work man
am doing the same thing on mine with the rctrax chassis
where did you get your's from?
thnx
Try on ebay, you'll find it!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:50 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I've seen that Samurai body before and for some reason I thought it was really small, like made for a Losi MRC.

So, it is made for 1/10 scale?
860Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:11 PM   #5

Default chassis and body

yeah i got the chassis on ebay, it was the last one as far as i could tell so it was a total impulse buy. the body is too small to fit on the cr-01 with the stock chassis but not the rctrax chassis
Old 01-29-2009, 06:01 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Could you take a profile shot of the Samurai body on the chassis and post it for us? It does look quite small.

Thanks much,

Carl
quickster47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:35 PM   #7

Very nice man. How do you like it without springs? I finally just got mine assembled and have no electronics so have not been able to run yet. I'm already thinking i don't like the cantilever setup.

Anyway you seem to have a lot of nice mods man
hartnsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:09 PM   #8

Default without the cantilevers & springs

i don't like my current setup because i can tell it really needs springs and im just to lazy to put them back on now that they are off. there is a lot more articulation out of my cr-01 right now with hilux shocks and no springs, it also sits a lot lower, but the torque steer is out of control. just driving it forward causes the tire to rub against the front bumper/gaurd. it totally nees to have the springs for this setup but im just gonna wait a we3k till i get my gmade 104mm coilovers. having hilux shocks could be a good setup but it would require cutting the fenders off the body and adding springs back on... you still wouldn't be running the cantileverzs though... my advice to anyone who has finished there cr-01 build and currently has the cantilevers installed is to try them out for a while..... they are kinda cool... i think.. i ran them for months and now i am finally going over to coilovers.
in fact heres a video link of my cr-01 crawling with the stock cantilever setup... i thinks its a very capable setup im just into modifying everything i own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXnZGBO9d5w

i will totally take a side profile picture of the samurai body when i get it. don't worry i take lots of pictures

Last edited by eben81; 01-29-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:31 PM   #9

Default well well well

look what i found on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0d3Xd66KPQ

it looks like the guy cut his ladder frames maybe to fit the suzuki body.... thats a good idea cutting the ladder frame rails down and maybe drilling more hole...im far to lazy to do that but it might be cool and functionally useful goodness.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:40 AM   #10

Default pajero tamiya hard body

anyone try one of these tamiya hardbody pajero before.. you would think that if the suzuki samurai could fit on a modified cr-01 then one of these pajero bodies could to.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:41 AM   #11

Don't get me wrong the cantilever works well for what it is and so far my truck has gone where i want it without much fuss. I did remove both stabilizer bars already but i would like more articulation.

Here are some shots of the Jero body I'm painting for a friend sitting on my chassis.

Old 01-31-2009, 04:11 PM   #12

thank you so much for the pictures... i had no idea the pajero was that huge. nice paint. that thing looks awesome..... i can't decide if i should get that body or the suzuki samurai. im going to be mounting it on a rctrax chassis. if i want big articulation i think i am going to have to cut the front and rear bumpers off..... i don't know if i want to do that... thanks again for the pictures. your pajero is kick ass.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:44 PM   #13

Thanks man, that is just the top coat of blue. Still have to do the silver bottom and all the details for lights and small stuff. My friend's not too sure on the blue so i might have to start over on it lol.

Keep me posted on the coil overs when you get them, i would like to know how well they work.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:59 AM   #14

when your done do you do a coat or three of clear coat spray. that stuff makes it all shiny. instead of silver you should paint it neon tennis ball yellow. that would be sweet... the blue that you have with the tennis ball yellow. i wonder what that pajero would look like without any bumpers......
Old 02-01-2009, 05:57 AM   #15

Ha ha my friend would kill me. I will be doing a clear coat but this is my first time ever painting a body like this. I've only ever worked on the clear lexan ones and I've still only painted 4 of those. I eventually would like to get an airbrush setup and start learning how to use it.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:26 PM   #16

Default ne3 chassis installed

i just finished installing my rctrax cx101b chassis. im down the the tranny and axles as being the only original parts on my cr-01 anymore.. haha... heres my new pix of the chassis.. i think i gained an extra 15 degrees of articulation out of this new chassis setup, im almost at 90 degrees.... im probably gonna tune the suspension some more in a week when my gmade shocks arrive. untill then these are the pictures of my cr-o1 with the new rctrax chassis i got and hilux shocks.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:50 AM   #17

Looks good man, can't wait to see some action shots.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:41 PM   #18

Great job, but as you said, not much left of tamiya in there.. who cares.. I want to get rid of all the cantileverzs just because i dont like the look of them, but im not sure what length of shocks i should go for.. I still want the car to performe well even when it looks good.. anybody with some tips, and let us know how the 104 is working for you..
spaceeagle is offline   Reply With Quote