Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: Scale Crawler?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2010, 08:30 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Scale Crawler?

I like many of the aspects of a scaler, but I find myself spending more and more time trying to make my CR-01 more of a capable crawler. Probably because I keep taking my rig to locations that many of the local crawlers like to use.

My latest modification is the addition of some Tamiya bent lower links. I like the way they look and I hope that they will provide some advantage in crawling as well. My only concern with them is that it does look like it exposes my front drive shaft a bit (pics below). I also moved the front connection of the lower rear bent link forward 1 hole. The wheels seem to align better now - hopefully I won't have as many instances of the wheels hitting the body.

Drive Shafts: I am currently running Junfac drive shafts and am growing weary of having to constantly tighten all of the drive pins before every climbing session. I have also recently bent one of the cross pins and have had to replace the pin with a section of a spare allen key. Junfac has not responded to any of my email requests for spare parts so I am going to have to replace the drive shafts. Can anyone recommend some solid drive shafts for my rig?

As I was climbing today I was trying to follow the course that the scale crawlers were running. I was able to clear some of the gates, but I can't clear the ledge (or step) gates. I get my front tire up, but I can't get my rear tires up. They either spin and don't grip, or I end up on my back. I am not willing to install a DIG, but I think that I can still make some smart modifications to increase my likelihood of making it up. One thing that I notice is that I do not get very much deformation of my tires. I am running Flat Irons with the stock foam inserts and 8 oz up front and 4 oz in the rear. I think that if I remove some of the outer foam material that I will get a little more grip. I have also seen some people add lead balls inside their tires - does this help with grip? Any other ideas or suggestions?

Setup with new bent lower links

Is my drive shaft too exposed?

Pics from comp course:

FreshMeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Rc4wd

Anyone have experience with RC4WD Punisher shafts for the CR-01? They look beefy enough. Any problems with cross-pins. Where the drive shafts hook up to the output shafts from the tranny do the pins go all the way through like the tamiya drive shafts, or do they just sit in the hole like the Junfac drive shafts?

How is their customer support? If I need replacement parts will they respond?

Oh - I took the truck out today and did a little driving over lunch break. The new lower links work nice and the shortened rear does change the climbing dynamics a bit. It helps on some of the step type climbs because the rear wheel gets to the step a fraction sooner. On some of the other step type climbs it seems a little worse because the front wheel isn't getting as far before the rear tires hit (the front would start to drop a bit which helped). On the good side, the rear tires almost never hit the body now, I have to have the chassis in full flex with the rear wheels turned.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:59 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

how do you find the 2.2 flat irons compared to the stockies? i'm thinking you need to drop your COG, the lipo strapped to the front axle is a start, but the body seems to be riding high, the short barrel springs help too. i am curious how double the springs would affect the ride. great pics!
cydog510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:26 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Default my .02

i say a droop set up mine still looks scale but crawls way better now
Skyjacker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:59 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I would go with the rc4wd ones, Ive had mine for almost a year now. The only issue i had was the retaining screws coming loose, just bought some longer ones and ground down the end so it went into the trans shaft and lock tited them. Im running 18.5 goat setup and even with the 2.2 slingers i didnt have any issues. I will try to post some pics later of what mine looks like now, hopefully it will help you make yours perform better
AkFordfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:13 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydog510 View Post
how do you find the 2.2 flat irons compared to the stockies? i'm thinking you need to drop your COG, the lipo strapped to the front axle is a start, but the body seems to be riding high, the short barrel springs help too. i am curious how double the springs would affect the ride. great pics!
The 2.2 flat irons are much better that the stock tires.

The body is up so high because of all of the travel that I have with my current suspension setup. A little droop would certainly help with my COG. I will order up some short barrel springs for the rear and back the retaining rings on my shocks to bring my COG down a bit.

Looks like I will also need to order up a set of the Punisher drive-shafts for fathers day
Old 06-05-2010, 09:31 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

i got these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/3Racing-Spring-S...item51933d246e

they come with 4 soft, i popped soft all around and it certainly lowers the chassis. they are not short barrel, just barrel springs.
cydog510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:59 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I have the junfac shafts as well and never had one issue. I also have the rc4wd shafts on another crawler but they don't look any better other than having a much bigger set screw.
BTW love your crawler.
norbyx is offline   Reply With Quote