Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: Clicking from Rear Axle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2010, 06:24 PM   #1
lt.
Rock Stacker

Default Clicking from Rear Axle?

Hey guys, it's been a while since I posted here, been having too much fun with my CR-01 ;). Anyways, I have been noticing a problem the past few times I have been crawling.

When driving, there is a large clicking sound coming from the rear axle. It clicks and the tires and wheels actually lock up for that split second.

I opened it up and everything looked fine. The only part I couldn't get to was inside the actual differential, because I didn't have the correct wrench.

I feel that it is a gear missing a tooth. Can anyone confirm this? I would like to be sure before I go in and tear the whole rear axle apart, so are there any other possible causes?

Thanks in advance for your help.
lt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2010, 07:35 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I had exactly the same problem, but it was a chunk of ring gear that had broken off and jammed into the pinion gears. I picked it out to get it running until I could get more parts, fearing that it would break for good very soon, but it's still hanging in there.
ugly duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:20 PM   #3
lt.
Rock Stacker

Hmmm, I'll look in to the pinion gears in the diff. It could be a piece of tooth, but it happens regularly (once per revolution), not just randomly.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:06 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Yep, you caught me in an error. The chunk of tooth got stuck in the ring gear, not the pinion, and it clicked/jammed once per revolution. Wasn't thinking, sorry.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:28 PM   #5
MODERATOR™

Those TLT, CR-01, High Lift ring and pinions do that, they lose teeth. I've got a PILE of them here.

Inside the diff will break the star shaft (BA34) that hold the three gears. Got a pile of those too.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:15 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Those TLT, CR-01, High Lift ring and pinions do that, they lose teeth. I've got a PILE of them here.

Inside the diff will break the star shaft (BA34) that hold the three gears. Got a pile of those too.

I think the star shaft broke and slips out every now and then.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:58 PM   #7
lt.
Rock Stacker

Ok, I'll tear it apart tomorrow, thanks for the help
Old 05-04-2010, 07:28 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

I had the same noise coming out of mine from time to time till it finally stripped out. What stripped out was the splines on the diff on the side that doesn't have the pin that goes thru the axle. All i did was drilled it out and stuck a pin thru it ,problem solved...
4 RUNN 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:41 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I had a bad bearing make a clicking sound, but it never locked up. Sounds like the gears to me.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:45 PM   #10
lt.
Rock Stacker

Well, I just finished tearing it apart, and Ugly Duck hit the nail on the head! There was a piece of the pinion gear stuck in the ring gear, causing it to lock. I'm gonna order parts, but I might just keep it with the tooth missing if Duck has been running like that fine.

Thanks guys!
Old 05-05-2010, 02:47 PM   #11
lt.
Rock Stacker

Wow! I just looked at the parts for it, and they are $16! I'll just run it with the tooth missing until it grenades
Old 05-06-2010, 10:04 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Depending on how much you force your crawler it will be lasting a long or a short time. I had the same problem with a Gmade spider and it lasted 1 day before all the gear stripped out. If you don't force it too much it can last a long time. But for $16 just get the parts and keep them in your drawer... you will need them sooner or later.
norbyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:32 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbyx View Post
Depending on how much you force your crawler it will be lasting a long or a short time. I had the same problem with a Gmade spider and it lasted 1 day before all the gear stripped out. If you don't force it too much it can last a long time. But for $16 just get the parts and keep them in your drawer... you will need them sooner or later.
i agree, shipping is gonna take at least 3 weeks, so i would just bite the bullet, i did!
cydog510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:54 AM   #14

This is the cheapest place for CR-01 parts I have found
http://www.stellamodels.net/catalog/...p?cPath=75_178
MiniMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:04 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Empire.RC on eBay: $12 plus $4 for shipping, and it was at my door within 10 days of hitting Buy It Now. I just received it this Saturday to replace the one that will fail eventually.

Tags
axle, click, differential