Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: TLT Stock Tranny Question...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2005, 09:00 PM   #1

Default TLT Stock Tranny Question...

Hey, I was wondering how much the mid diff slips under stress in the stock TLT? I have a Pede chassis, and don't mind dropping it in... BUT, I only want to do that if the stock tranny doesn't do so well... I've only just began building the TLT, and tigthened the diff as much as I can... but I don't know how well it will work.
BeeniDAmeeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2005, 09:48 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

It will slip no matter how much you tighten it down,i just put some hotglue in there and i hasnt slipped yet also the belt will slip too,but if you got a pede tranny,i would use that.
bigred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 09:57 AM   #3

Thing is, I would need to find a way to make it fit... And I don't know of many people that run the stock chassis with the Pede drivetrain.

I was also wondering how many of you use the TA04 diff set? It's supposed to be a direct fit... and it can be locked completely.

Last edited by BeeniDAmeeni; 06-30-2005 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:03 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

It's been done. You'll have to cut the chassis plates to get the pede tranny to fit, or use big spacers to fit the tranny between the plates...

Ryan
rbgerrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 10:06 AM   #5

OK then. I guess I'll go dissasemble my Pede and get to work...

Thanks!
Old 06-30-2005, 10:18 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

It works easy. Just cut the crap out of what isnt nessecary. And cut a notch for the spur gear.
lunardaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 10:26 AM   #7

Will a dremel tool be able to cut the chassis? I noticed the aluminum(or w/e it is) was a little thin.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:14 PM   #8

I've been running the stock TLT tranny with a stock Maubchi 540 motor, a locker from Veritgo, both axles fully locked and Masher 2K's for quite some time now and don't have any problems with the belt slipping. I have a spare belt just in case but with the stock motor i don't see any way you could get the belt to slip, when stuck on an undercut rock or something the motor stops before the belt even thinks of slipping. I would keep the Pede tranny around and start working on a custom chassis for it. When you're done just swap in your axles and other running gear, this way you can still play with your TLT while building a custom chassis. If you want to keep the stock tranny there is a thread on here explaining how to convert it to gears as well, if you are running a hopped up motor i could see the belt slipping though.
fljeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 12:32 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Hey beeni, wassup
i remember u from URC. lol i came over here also.
my tlt and all the parts for stretching are in the mail currently, and check this out.

this is how im gunna put my pede tranny in the car with stock plates.

Well, my Stampede came in... (56K Warming)

that guy did it. all he had to do was switch the plates side to side, drill a few holes and chop an inch off of the bottom. i might put my bat in the bottom of the chassis under the tranny if the driveshafts dont bind though.

hope that helps
harris
Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 02:55 PM   #10

Default Progress...

After seeing it with the Plates faced the stock way... lol, I knew I had to change them and flip the tranny over.

That's what I have so far with the Pede Tranny and the stock plates flipped.

now all I need are some bearings so I can build my axles...
Old 06-30-2005, 03:10 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

hey beeni, you wouldnt happen to be the same beeni that used to be over at the traxxas boards building that 4x4 pede would you? i was purpletruck from over there, if that was you thanks alot for all the help with my 4x4 pede. I guess now i get a chance to help back.

Alot of people ran the pede tranny in the stock chassis when the tlt came out, but most went ahead the built a custom chassis after a couple of runs since its so easy. It allows for more ground clearence and better center of gravity.

Oh and do you plan to stretch your tlt? Looks great so far, keep up the good work
pedesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 04:23 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

you should hack off the lower, unused portion of the chassis
Frkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 08:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedesrule
hey beeni, you wouldnt happen to be the same beeni that used to be over at the traxxas boards building that 4x4 pede would you? i was purpletruck from over there, if that was you thanks alot for all the help with my 4x4 pede. I guess now i get a chance to help back.

Alot of people ran the pede tranny in the stock chassis when the tlt came out, but most went ahead the built a custom chassis after a couple of runs since its so easy. It allows for more ground clearence and better center of gravity.

Oh and do you plan to stretch your tlt? Looks great so far, keep up the good work
Yeah, it's me, lol. My 4x4Pede still runs, BTW. And yes, I do plan on stretching it... I have Maxx links and bearings on the way from Tower, should be in here tomorrow.
Quote:
you should hack off the lower, unused portion of the chassis
I would... but I'm not sure as of yet how the links are supposed to be mounted... lol, I've never even built the rest of the truck... just the stock tranny(which now is a waste, :-P) and the two chassis plates. I'll definately hack/drill/dremel off anything I deem unnecessary...

Thanks for the help guys, I'll be sure to post pics of it along the way!
Old 06-30-2005, 10:16 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

There is now way that will work without driveshafts binding. It would be much easier to carve a new chassis out of aluminum in my oppinion but, it isnt my truck.

You have to cut off the bottom of the chassis, The first inch of so. Then drill a hole on either side for The links.

Do you want to make this a performance crawler or trail rig where center of gravity doesnt matter?

Good Luck, Cya
lunardaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 03:35 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I'm glad to see someone using my idea!!
thefordmccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 09:27 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunardaisy
There is now way that will work without driveshafts binding. It would be much easier to carve a new chassis out of aluminum in my oppinion but, it isnt my truck.

You have to cut off the bottom of the chassis, The first inch of so. Then drill a hole on either side for The links.

Do you want to make this a performance crawler or trail rig where center of gravity doesnt matter?

Good Luck, Cya
I'm really not all that concerned about performance... like I said, I'm going for a scale look... if it crawls OK, that's cool too. I can just move the tranny down about a half inch and cut off what I don't need.. if it binds, then I'll buy an aftermarket chassis.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:51 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefordmccord
i found your thread about pede trannys in the stock plates a while ago and have been hoping that i can get it to work also. i just hadn't ordered my tlt and stuff yet. i am making a scale-ish trail rig so cg doesn't matter much to me. i have already trimmed my tranny so that it resembles the one in your thread.

harris
Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 03:38 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefordmccord
Dude ur idea rocks i have almost all the parts for my tlt pede conversion thanks for the inspiration...
nd4spdbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 09:03 PM   #19
RCC Addict

I just picked up my first TLT about a month ago. I streched it, locked the diffs, and run masher 2Ks. I powered it with a 1900mah 2 cell li-poly, super rooster (thats what I had laying around), and a Reedy MVP stock motor. I tried running the stock center diff locked but my dogbones kept falling out. I still run a belt drive, but since I changed to pede shafts I put an epoxied Nitro 4 Tec diff in the center and use a rear belt from a Nitro RS4. You have to shim the bearings on the center diff pretty far out, but the pede yokes keep everything from moving around. You can use the low friction belt from HPI and it won't stretch. It also gets you a little lower gear ratio because the 4 Tec diff has 2 more teeth. I've yet to have the belt slip, stretch, or break.
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote