Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Losi trans?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2005, 06:45 PM   #1

Default Losi trans?

Has anyone tried to use a losi trans in a TLT?
NHcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2005, 06:56 PM   #2
Gold Star Baby Momma!

not losi, but I have the associated b3 tranny in my tlt, basicly the same tranny
Kevin
Tuffguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 07:55 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffguy
not losi, but I have the associated b3 tranny in my tlt, basicly the same tranny
Kevin

How is the losi the same tranny as the AE one? :?

I have a Losi tranny but it's still in my original JRX2(owned since 1989).. it's sliders could be interchanged with the 'Pede sliders... although I'm not sure how much crawling abuse it could handle compared to the 'Pede. With my Losi tranny having like 6 different gears on the inside as compared to the 3 in the 'Pede. Weight takes on an issue too, 'Pede is lighter than my Losi tranny. Not to mention size differences.

I know that back in the day there was a small business(BRP ??) made a slider conversion for the earlier versions of the Stealth tranny. I'll search through my "vintage" RCCA rags to find an ad for the conversion and serach out the company or companies that made the conversions......
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 02:09 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

My losi xxx-t looks like the tranny could drop in no problem. Here's why I wouldn't want to run it though... 1) its got a slipper clutch, 2) ball differential 3) parts availability sucks.

The losi xxx-t tranny only has 3 gears like the pede tranny and is about the same size as a pede tranny. Whether or not it is different in weight I couldn't say though.

If you've got a losi tranny go for it. but if you have a choice, I'd go pede, simply for the parts out there.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 05:27 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I picked up a losi xxx t tranny off of ebay that I am goint to put in a the next mini b frame. From what I see size wise they are about the same. The radius on the motor mount plate could be milled down about 1/4 inch with no adverse affects. I worked yesterday on putting a pede tranny in the first mini b The lhs did not have any pede slidershafts in stock so I bought a set of revo shafts. Overkill I know but I found what I think is a good way to mount them on the stock tlt drive hubs this will also work on losi drive hubs. I will post some pics later today for those who might be interested. Jusy my 2 c's .
aubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 06:12 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Definetly dont use that jrx** tranny I had a jrxt and it melted the third gear repeatedly. It couldnt handle a stadium truck set up it would never take a crawler. Later XX trannies could take it much better materials but that ball diff is a issue. Though a drill and some screws could fix that. Only issue is getting the dogbone cups to work with the pede sliders or other drive means. The dogs on the lxt were quite large (read non standard) I suppoe some creative machineing or some digging aroud in parts bins might source up some parts. I do know my XX tranny is about 1/3 the weight of a pede has larger drive bearings and has a HELL of a lot better build quality. It accualy seals everything inside from the outside.
if you have the willingness to try it out and experiment I say go for it. I plan on looking into smaller lighter trannies later on as soon as I nail the rest of my truck down. PWT has a point I dunno how avalible the older losi trannies are anymore.
Madkoifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 08:52 AM   #7
Gold Star Baby Momma!

Let's see losi trannies have three gears
ae have three gears
losi has a slipper
ae has a slipper
losi has a ball diff
ae has a ball diff
losi uses dogbone outputs
ae uses dogbone outputs
basic overall shape is the same

pretty much the same diff huh????
Kevin

Now I am talking about the xx tranny and newer , guess I should have been more clear

Last edited by Tuffguy; 06-15-2005 at 08:54 AM.
Tuffguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 09:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast
I know that back in the day there was a small business(BRP ??) made a slider conversion for the earlier versions of the Stealth tranny. I'll search through my "vintage" RCCA rags to find an ad for the conversion and serach out the company or companies that made the conversions......
rayborn made the slider conversions, i have a few sets of them and i doubt they would hold up to the stress crawling would put on them. i've considered it but it would be a shame to waste such a rare hopup imo.

HOWEVER, if somebody were to replicate and machine the adaptors that fit into the outdrives that would be very cool. its simply a yoke on one end and on the other a slotted shaft that fits into the outdrives and has 2 screws on both sides keeping it in place.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 09:43 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

If you track down rock_bunyip he has an AE tranny in his TLT and it runs pretty well.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 11:03 AM   #10

i know its a little differant then what your talking about but im putting a losi mini t tranny in a VMG, does that count? it looks like it will work well, it has metal gears, as opposesed to the stock POS.
superfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 11:58 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Damm Toyo,

You been out of the racin for to long, The newer ae and losi stuff are 3 gear and lighter than the pede stuff, The dogbone out drives are a problem.

losi makes sliders for the old XXT bushing truck I dont know if they are the same as the pedes?

I B..
I B RACIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 12:20 PM   #12
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly
i know its a little differant then what your talking about but im putting a losi mini t tranny in a VMG, does that count? it looks like it will work well, it has metal gears, as opposesed to the stock POS.
this has worked very well on mine. lower ratio, stronger gears than vmg.

I have been wanting to use something a little smaller and better built than the pede tranny. i just dont think that the cost and availability of losi stuff would warrent it though.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 12:27 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Do you have any pics of the mini-t trans in th MG?

Also heres a link to anything Losi That you want.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/

I B..
Old 06-15-2005, 12:56 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Uhhh.... why are you guys all trying to find slider conversions??? The XXX-T came with sliders! The spec truck/buggies which were later ditched for the MF editions had sliders in the rear. They are the same size as the pede sliders I believe.

If I can track down my manual, I can give you slider part numbers. for the losi trans.

I guess the real question is what internal gear reduction does a losi trans have compared to a pede tranny?
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 01:53 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

xxbuggy trans 2.60

xxxt trans 2.60

xxxt mf 2 - 2.40

pede 2.72

I B..
Old 06-15-2005, 04:33 PM   #16

Guess I should have said that I have a xxxt rtr2, and a mf2, sounds like the out put shafts will be a problem since I have no access to cnc's, mills, or drill press. thanks for the feed back. I've been checking on ebay for a pede with no luck, almost ready to buy a whole truck for the trans.
NHcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 04:53 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Dont run a losi IMHO!
Pedes are better since we all kno Traxxas can take more beatings!!
TLTCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 05:20 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

How do you know that losi cant.
aubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 06:18 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

my cuzin has one in his losi truck and its broken ahrd right now
TLTCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 06:36 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

I've never had issues with newer losi trannies IE XX and newer. The older jr trannies did suck. But parts wise stuff in the losi is no diffrent than the pede. Hardened top gear and fiber nylon for the other 2. The casing is worlds better bearings are about the same except the outdrive or diff bearings those are much larger.
Only issue I see is the outdrives and locking of the ball diff. The pede is standard nylon gears with 5X11 bbs some ill fitting layshafts and low grade plastic housing ( mine was warped and needed to be reshaped)
Everything breaks it just depends how or what yu do with it. If your a brisun git and slam everything all over sure anything will "break hard" Ive had my XX tranny in my lxt for well over a decade and all I ever replaced on the tranny were some diff balls and the presure washers that ride on them. ( something you do usualy once a season of racing) Other parts on that thing were a aftermarket upper brace ( dont loan rc to 4yearolds with lots of concrete steps around) And a front right suspention arm. (hit a concrete hole in a sidewalk) And some ball cups. So Id say its plenty strong enough. NOW slippers on losis are easy just drill and atp through the spur and the slipper. They are easily locked by bolti the spur really tight to the slipper too.
I say if you got one and want to be diffrent or try omething new go for it!
Madkoifish is offline   Reply With Quote