Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: TLT vs all new crawlers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2009, 07:23 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default TLT vs all new crawlers

What do people here think about hopped up TLT rigs vs. all the other newer rigs? It is obvious that some of these newer rigs are extremely capable. Anyone still kicking ass and taking names with the TLT vs. all these newer crawlers? It seems just yesterday that Bender was destroying everyone else with his SW3 & TLT setups.
mattnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2009, 05:46 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I'm doing ok with TLT stuff against Axial, but it's hard to stay TLT with the aftermarket Axial has.
CronusTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:49 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I'm running TLT and love it.
bRIBEGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:55 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I know it's probably the last thing you want to hear, but between all the shafty axles, it's really personal preferance...

I own TLT's and Axials, and will say that the Axial axles are alot easier to fix in a hurry... but I can say that the TLT's aren't "hard" by any means...

I've never had WK axles, and am not talkin smack, but I heard they're hard to get shimmed correctly... but the added width could be an advantage...

Axial has ALOT of aftermarket parts right now... the TLTs did, but as far as aftermarket parts for TLT axles, It's dying QUICK...

I'm never hard on my stuff... so I couldn't compare em strength wise...

Other than those (and maybe a couple I missed...) factors are taken out, it comes down to what you have or can get cheap, or what looks better...

My main rig is a TLT, but I started with a TLT, and don't plan to change. Axials are good too... but I prefer TLT's...

Like I said... it all comes down to personal preferance...
grob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:15 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I have both and like both.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:23 PM   #6

im running a sw3 and a tlt front and an axial rear.. i love the setup, but theres just something about the tlt that makes me say its better! i think the only things diffrent width and steering.. iv only blown up two tlt axels, and it seems like every run im workin on my axial rear.. if i were to do the build again i would have gone with a built tlt rear axel over axial anyday hands down!
rockdawgtruggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:09 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I owned a TLT for 4 years now. And so far, Nothing broke from when it is was a crawler(3years) to it being scaler(1year) now. TLT has proven itself throughout, and it will be around for a long time more, Just like A Chevy.
Da Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:23 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Default TLT vs. everything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattnin View Post
What do people here think about hopped up TLT rigs vs. all the other newer rigs? It is obvious that some of these newer rigs are extremely capable. Anyone still kicking ass and taking names with the TLT vs. all these newer crawlers? It seems just yesterday that Bender was destroying everyone else with his SW3 & TLT setups.
I run a heavily modded TLT. I compete with the axials, & bergs. Grant it, there is a ton of Axial aftermarket. But you can still find TLT stuff out there. I have beat on them, tumbled 10-15 feet down some rocks, etc... and I have my share of break downs.
Wouldn't trade em off for anything else. That's just my 2 cents. it's just a matter of prefernce.

Happy crawling
scrounge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:34 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawgtruggy View Post
im running a sw3 and a tlt front and an axial rear.. i love the setup, but theres just something about the tlt that makes me say its better! i think the only things diffrent width and steering.. iv only blown up two tlt axels, and it seems like every run im workin on my axial rear.. if i were to do the build again i would have gone with a built tlt rear axel over axial anyday hands down!

Dont the TLT's spin the opposite way to Axials? Must be a funky lookin rig, you got any pics?
littleskull99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:37 AM   #10
Gettin’ back on the horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleskull99 View Post
Dont the TLT's spin the opposite way to Axials? Must be a funky lookin rig, you got any pics?

If that were the case all you have to do is flip the axle.

Kris on RCC live had that same set up friday night.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:50 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

i have a tlt atm and had a ax-10 and i hated the ax-10 so much. i only had it for about 1 month and went through a few chassis on it and none of them made a difference to me. i dont have anything other then mip's and stright axles in the back and thats it for mods for mine. im still taking out axials in my area with no problem. i have very little money in my right atm lol. my setup is stock axial wheels with comp claws r2d some outrunner motor mamba 25 and a bmv chassis and i LOVE this setup so much. when i had the axial i was always pissed because i would always break a driveshaft when ever i got into a bind. it was enough to make me want to quit, but then i put all my stuff back into my tlt and was so happy. im not saying axial is crap (imo it is trash) but you dont need much work to tlts to make them great. i have a friend running some of the biggest tires he can get and he is always breaking the short shaft on his mip's. the word is on those they should be coming out with a v3 soon to fix that problem. i have been running my tlt's longer then him but had rock claws and never had a problem and they still look new.
some87 is offline   Reply With Quote