Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: blazin' f350

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2005, 02:55 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default blazin' f350

I just pickup a blazin' blazer roller and jugg body off ebay. Once my cam is working tonight i'll post up. I just wanted to start now by asking if there's any way to soften up the leaf springs. I really want to keep it realistic but those bastards are hard as hell. Also is it even remotely worth it trying to salvage the 3 speed? I've done my searching and found alot of people saying they're fragile and inconsistent. I like the idea of a shiftable trans basher, but if the things going to strip I won't run it. Wurd.
Terry
CrawlnSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2005, 03:31 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I don't know why people are saying that the trannies are weak, granted they're not bullet proof, but keep in mind that the engineers over at Tamiya designed them to propel a 15 pound truck. I have run my blazer only once and I love the way it shifts. Definitely worth keeping. I will say that if you plan on really thrashing it, you might want to look into a Dave Engle pulling tranny.

As far as the springs go I remove a leaf from mine and it helped quite a bit. Maybe the Bruiser/Mounty springs will be softer and be worth looking into.
thaclodking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 04:07 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlnSlow
I just pickup a blazin' blazer roller and jugg body off ebay. Once my cam is working tonight i'll post up. I just wanted to start now by asking if there's any way to soften up the leaf springs. I really want to keep it realistic but those bastards are hard as hell. Also is it even remotely worth it trying to salvage the 3 speed? I've done my searching and found alot of people saying they're fragile and inconsistent. I like the idea of a shiftable trans basher, but if the things going to strip I won't run it. Wurd.
Terry

I ran the 3 speed in my crawler and it was fine. Then again, I went through the whole thing and put loc-tite on things and made sure it was tight. It ran well while I used it. I tore it out because it just made my vehicle unsafe to be around when it came tumbling off a rock. Badger didn't have insurance so I didn't want to get sued over it if it hit him. The pansy.

Anyway, I'd say, make some money back and sell the thing to a collector who will take care of it and then go buy a plenty strong tranny that isn't so "limited" and you will be much happier. If you do break something, you won't have to be on an expensive search. I think they are strong, but if you are going to BEAT on it, get something that is cheaper and easier to fix.

-Sam
SlinkySam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 11:58 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I sat working on my comp crawler tonight looking at that tranny tonight and came to the conclusion that I'm just going to use it. How can you pass up a 3 speed shift i mean c'mon. I also just thought of another Q. Does anyone know if I can use the modded tq3 with a 3-pole to shift the trans? Pics up tomm (cameras at the shop.)

Last edited by CrawlnSlow; 10-20-2005 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:06 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Finally started something on this. Ditched the 3 speed and selling it on ebay. Made a servo mount to keep the scale look but decrease the length of the arm. Jugg body hasn't arrived yet. I still want to use the leafs but i'm considering pulling them in place of some 3" inet coils.

Progress so far:
Servo mount:

Pede tranny and maxx sliders:
Old 10-21-2005, 01:15 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

So the project went in a completely new direction as of 3 hours ago. I was sitting in my shop staring at all my extra unused bodies and decided an exo cage scale fj40 would be much more fun than an f 350. I just really like the look of fender well cages. the cage is made of solid rod and copper braze to tack them together.I hinged the cage so you can flip it up for easy access and hidden body posts. Theres still alot of fab to do but this is what i wound up with in 3 hours.

Always room for a clod bumper.

Yay cages!

hinged cage what?!
Old 10-21-2005, 01:45 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I going to try and lock down another fj body to do the fenders in the back. Either that or get some scale diamond plate and wrap the whole corner and cut it to fit the cage. Any opinions apreciated.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:41 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Thumbs up

if you get some scale d-plate, it would look alot more real. The stock fenders are kinda lame, so go big or go home.
Unimoger is offline   Reply With Quote