Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: New Lexan TLT Chassis. Name: Smokey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2005, 04:06 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default New Lexan TLT Chassis. Name: Smokey

As you have hopefully guessed from the title, this is the thread for my TLT, and specificaly its new lexan chassis. The chassis is 1/4 inch smoked lexan and it is set up for all of the links to come to one hole, and the tranny is standup style. So far i have one plate completely cut out and drilled/countersunk, and the other has the link holes and shock holes drilled. i am waiting on new hardware before i can assemble it, but i hope that by the end of the day i will have the tranny set up in the chassis and i can give some figures for ride height, gc, and wb.
The reasons for making this chassis are as follows

#1 i was getting really tired of looking at my car and having it look like everybody elses stock chassied tlts

#2 I found a 3 foot by 4 foot sheet of 1/4 inch smoked lexan in my dads shop and wanted to do it

#3 I havent seen anyone else with a lexan chassis for their tlt. much less a smoked lexan chassis

The reason that my rig will have a stand up tranny is because i wanted the motor to be more protected yet i still wanted to keep my chassis narrow, and that my motor is HUGE and HEAVY! it is the size of a titan, so i couldn't really have that hang over the edge of my chassis and keep it from flopping all over.

Pics will be coming on monday.

cheers
harris
Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2005, 05:18 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Why and how are you making ALL the links come to one mounting hole? Doesn't sound right. triangulation, squat, antisquat, clearance, articulation, clearance...etc.

Also more than the motor is goinf to be flopping around with it standing up! ;) and wide chassis aren't the devil. besides it doesn't have to be too much wider to lay down the tranny.
RCMFMaxxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 05:59 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Pssh man, your way behind on your news.

http://www.ripper7racing.com/micros_.../tlt10_pg1.htm

http://ripper7racing.com/forums/inde...showtopic=4240

(Yeah, a VMG, but similar) http://ripper7racing.com/forums/inde...showtopic=4077

http://ripper7racing.com/forums/inde...showtopic=4182

And the aftermath...
http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/1266/hpim21621ca.jpg

Sorry, good initiative. But been there done that. Its pretty good, but try and use real GE Lexan, otheriwse you may have what happened to me(yeah its smoked).

After doing that, i got tired and went to aluminum, hope yours doesnt crack as easily as mine did. Ripper7777777 is our resident Lexan expert and sign maker. Hes mainly over at R7R, but you'll likely see him around.

Good luck. And i am also curious about having your links all in one level.

P.S.
I run a 550 Johnson motor in my TLT, its mounted up top... runs fine. But you will need to lower your COG by dropping your battery as low as possible.

Last edited by USATorque55; 08-27-2005 at 06:02 PM.
USATorque55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 12:27 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

i have a permax 600 motor in my rig, it has way too much power.
the battery is mounted on top of the servo and is as low as it will go if it is up front. whether this stuff is lexan or not doesn't really matter. i hung a corner of it off of the table and hit it with a hammer as hard as i could and nothing happened. and it wasn't a small corner either. about eight inches were off of the table.

thats a bummer that mine isn't the only lexan chassis for a tlt, but ohh well.

pics will be up tomorrow with luck. my car wont run for a while tho due to the fact that i need more 3mm screws and i dont have my license yet.

peace
harris
Old 08-28-2005, 09:02 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

i might have some extra 3x2" aluminum tubing you could have and make a chassis outa it. but i'm not sure if i will have extra.

colin
Maxx4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 02:29 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Well i have seen quite a few lexan chassis'd tlt's. What kind of crawling do you do? like rock gardens? or rock formations with steep climbs? Here in oregon we usually crawl on rock formations that have steep climbs and the layed down trannies are doing very well because on these climbs you need as low of a cg as possible. So i mean if your building a custom chassis why not lay down the tranny while you are at it?
this is how i mount my battery...a 6 cell 2/3A saddle pack:
RCMFMaxxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 05:29 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

well... i didn't get the camera so you guys will have to wait a while longer. not that there is anything special that you are missing. it is the same as a bulu but out of lexan. i didn't make a laydown chassis because i just havent found that i need it yet. plus school just started and i have a hella full schedual, so i dont have much time for rc anywho.

pics will come along eventually
harris