Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Hilux build up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2005, 12:01 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Hilux build up

I have been bitten by the scale Brusier/Mountineer/Hilyx bug. I first had to find a chassis and axles that were complete enough to have a chance of making a decent light duty leaf sprung Trail rig. This truck will not be built as a Resto rig, A lot of the parts are going to be built right hear in the shop for my relaxation and fun. I have opened up the Axles and inspected them. OK shape I did not like the wobble in the king pins and put Teflon sleeves over them and cleaned up the slop.

The springs were flat and no movement. I replaced them with a new set of Jug leaf springs and removed two leafs from the back and one from the front. I did not want to remove the centering pins from the springs so I cut the springs to 1/2 of an inch to fit the perch. I did not like the u-bolts that held the axle housing to the leaf springs so I made my own out of all thread and reversed the mounting

RandyatBBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2005, 03:47 PM   #2
RCC Addict

looks good. where do you find all the replacement parts for the leafsprings? i might use them on my new trail/utility rig.
ILoveRCRockCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 04:06 PM   #3
Sinking with the ship

Default nice

Looks like a good start, I like the u bolt flip, what telfon spacers did you use on the king pins? I made mine out of soda cans...works ok but teflon ones sound even better

Mike
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 05:01 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badjeepbruiser
Looks like a good start, I like the u bolt flip, what telfon spacers did you use on the king pins? I made mine out of soda cans...works ok but teflon ones sound even better

Mike
I have just the right size teflon tubing that when the plate is pushed or screwed down it pintches and secures the teflon. I have several sizes and found the right one. Now if I can just find the right body.

I also do not like the angle on the drive shafts and want to make my own transfer case with the motor foward and not use a pede or stanard made tranny. It would be cool to have the electric motor look like a trany and put a Plastic motor infront of it in the motor compartment possably.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:05 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveRCRockCrawlin
looks good. where do you find all the replacement parts for the leafsprings? i might use them on my new trail/utility rig.
I found them at tower hobbies about a year ago. they still have them!

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNM39&P=X
Old 12-18-2005, 05:19 PM   #6
RCC Addict

i found the leaf springs but bo shackles and mounts, except for ebay.

randy you got pm
ILoveRCRockCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 05:40 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

i cut my leafs like that on a mountaneer i had the leafs kept sagging and i had to bend them back alot. that was with a light 1 speed tranny as well, these are the jugg springs from tower?
HotRodCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 06:17 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Hear is a close up of the shackels.

Hot rod did you have the Jug springs?
Old 12-18-2005, 06:22 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodCJ
i cut my leafs like that on a mountaneer i had the leafs kept sagging and i had to bend them back alot. that was with a light 1 speed tranny as well, these are the jugg springs from tower?
That is part of the reason for the different u-bolts the way the stock ones are mounted it flatens out the spring, the way I did it there is a curve in the pad that is 1/4 long and there is no preshure on the spring.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:58 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

i had mine flipped as well, i made a shim to go under the spring and used all thread as well, i cut the frame and shortend it to fit a jeep wrangler body. the shim corrected driveline and supported spring better than stock, i hope yours works out.
HotRodCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 10:03 PM   #11

you should do like the big boys and cut the axles and rotate them for better pinion angles. Just a thought.

By the way...if you could...please keep us updated on this project! I've had a full scale version and it was the best little truck!

Last edited by KevanRay; 12-18-2005 at 10:07 PM.
KevanRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 12:47 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodCJ
i had mine flipped as well, i made a shim to go under the spring and used all thread as well, i cut the frame and shortend it to fit a jeep wrangler body. the shim corrected driveline and supported spring better than stock, i hope yours works out.
I wonder if Badger has problems with his?
Old 12-19-2005, 12:54 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Hey Randy, Got anymore of that teflon stuff? I think I"d like a set. Is that chassis aluminum? I've never seen a hilux in person before. I think we are going to have to have a trail ride in the future. maybe even a leaf sprung comp.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 12:57 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevanRay
you should do like the big boys and cut the axles and rotate them for better pinion angles. Just a thought.

By the way...if you could...please keep us updated on this project! I've had a full scale version and it was the best little truck!

url="http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b236/automatic___girl/09.jpg"][/url]
I do not want to destroy any of the original housings. I plan on making a wedge to place in-between the mounting pad and the spring to get better pinion angles. I have four 1 to 1 projects right now and I want to finish them before I get anything else. So No 1 to 1 4X4 for me for a while.
And I will add photos as I build my Hilux, Thanks
Old 12-19-2005, 01:08 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckjeep
Hey Randy, Got anymore of that teflon stuff? I think I"d like a set. Is that chassis aluminum? I've never seen a hilux in person before. I think we are going to have to have a trail ride in the future. maybe even a leaf sprung comp.
I think I have about 25 feet left. LOL It takes four 1/8 pieces to do a front end.

You got it, it is solid aluminum! I need some time to get it ready so do not plan on the trail run or comp too soon. No four bars hear! well at least this rig.:-)
Old 12-19-2005, 01:31 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Cool, than you have just enough. I think a leaf sprung comp would be awesome. I'll post up in general about it.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 06:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyatBBY
I do not want to destroy any of the original housings. I plan on making a wedge to place in-between the mounting pad and the spring to get better pinion angles. I have four 1 to 1 projects right now and I want to finish them before I get anything else. So No 1 to 1 4X4 for me for a while.
And I will add photos as I build my Hilux, Thanks
oh yea, i wasn't sayin you should do a 1/1 project at all lol, but that is a good idea with the wedge. Doesn't work so well in the big ones but i bet it'd do fine for the little guy.
KevanRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 08:12 PM   #18
Oppan Gangnam Style

hey randy, i'd be interested in some of that teflon tubing as well, any idea of where i can pick some up (tap plastic or hardware store)? let me know, thanks. can't wait to see more progress of your hilux!
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 01:04 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63
hey randy, i'd be interested in some of that teflon tubing as well, any idea of where i can pick some up (tap plastic or hardware store)? let me know, thanks. can't wait to see more progress of your hilux!
The teflon is special to RC boating, I can let you all have some at the next meet or send me SASE inclosed with a buck and I will return it with four piece of teflon tubing for you. That goes for any one on the board.
send to:
BBY Racing/att. Randy
1090 Shary Circle Unit F
Concord Ca. 94518
Old 12-20-2005, 10:22 AM   #20
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyatBBY
I wonder if Badger has problems with his?
I don't even understand what you guys are talking about. :?

Are you talking about the softer mounty springs going flat on you?
badger is offline   Reply With Quote