Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Tlt steering

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2006, 09:27 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Tlt steering

I've seached for a bit but havn't heard too much talk about upgrading the steering on the TLT axles. Something I have noticed when I get on good traction surfaces instead of the wheels turning you can see the knucle twist due to the long extension that the draglink hooks too. Has anybody just lopped some of that up and shorten it to cure the problem?
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2006, 09:32 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

There is supposed to be some aluminum touring car knuckles that fit right in. The twisting knuckles is pretty annoying, it happens when you have a tire wedged too.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 09:34 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plays_with_Toys
There is supposed to be some aluminum touring car knuckles that fit right in. The twisting knuckles is pretty annoying, it happens when you have a tire wedged too.
Kinda like having hydro steering, bumped up pump and trying to move that rock the size of a house---BOOOOOM

The riser is threaded all the way up so I am going to try and remove some of it to keep the leverage down. May not cure it but I bet it will help....
Old 02-13-2006, 09:37 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Lotsa guys sleeve the links with some brake tubing...looks good and adds beef.

I put mine on the hole closest to the axle, less stress put on the end of the arm... will see how it does.

Christian
customxprone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 09:42 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Thats what I am talking about--no riser on the knuckle where the draglink/tie rod meet. What did you use for that?
Old 02-13-2006, 10:20 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Here is a shot from last year with a few TLT's and it kind of shows our steering.

Everyone runs a very similar setup within the ORCRC group. Other than our servo choices, all our tierods/drag link setups are the same.

Tierod on top of knuckle then drag link on top of tierod at knuckle. This combined with the proper servo horn can net you a flat steering setup. Then it's all about adjusting your EPA settings on your radio so you don't constantly force the servo to over turn all the time.
Attached Images

toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 10:48 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashfab
Thats what I am talking about--no riser on the knuckle where the draglink/tie rod meet. What did you use for that?
Ok with the kit, it comes with some balls with holes through them that are threaded....You could use those if you use rod ends without the metal pieces inside, and stack them like i did, OR you can run rod ends with metal cups in um..EX: turnbuckle ends, etc...and just run a bolt through them and a nut on the top....So basiclly like I did but minus the brass balls. For the other side just run a screw and a nut again. Hope tht made sense.
customxprone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 10:59 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by customxprone1
Ok with the kit, it comes with some balls with holes through them that are threaded....You could use those if you use rod ends without the metal pieces inside, and stack them like i did, OR you can run rod ends with metal cups in um..EX: turnbuckle ends, etc...and just run a bolt through them and a nut on the top....So basiclly like I did but minus the brass balls. For the other side just run a screw and a nut again. Hope tht made sense.
After about 10 minutes after your posting I figured it out. Just got one diff done and was looking thru my bags and crap---the kit only comes with 2(enough to do one axle) so I am looing at the "turnbuckle" method for the other diff...