Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Limited steering

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2007, 12:33 AM   #1

Default Limited steering

I am very much pleased with my conversion but I think the steering could use some more play. My set up right now is just front steering with only the center diff locked. Is there a way to get more steering radius other than going 4ws?
slimyslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2007, 07:14 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Stock TLT axles/knuckles?
You can easily get a little bit more throw by moving your steering to full lock and noting where the knuckle hits the axle. You can relieve both areas with an exacto knife/small files and create more clearance for the knuckles to swing farther.
If you want more than that,you'll have to spend money and change parts. CVD's are one way, but I'm not sure if you can get them for TLT axles. I've seen guys modify the stock ends to shorten them a bit and make more clearance. That takes a little bit of machining skills.
Fat Rock C's and aluminum knuckles will improve the steering, but more money to spend and modification to do. Not a terribly difficult modification, though.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:42 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

hi i had the same problem.but it is now fixed,are u still using the stock tlt servo saver???? if you are there is your problem.the servo saver(ss) is not long enough to give you good steering. so what i would do is buy a 1 inch alluminum servo horn for around 5$ at your LHS i hope this helps!!
nitromtcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:58 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Yep, if you are using the stock saver from the kit, you should definitely switch it for a plain aluminum horn.
Servo savers and crawling don't work well together. When you really need to move your wheels, the saver will move instead. You should just get used to trashing servos, it happens in rock crawling. Unless you pop for high quality units with bearings, metal gears, and high torque.

Last edited by Big Mike; 02-07-2007 at 11:00 AM.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:12 PM   #5

Thanks for the advice guys. I will try servo saver solution first but I do plan to get the Fat Rock Cs in the near future. Right now, my crwlr has Junfac axle mounts, steering rods, and suspension kit on it.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:15 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Trimmimg your drive cups about a 1/16" and rebeveling the inside top edge makes quite a bit of difference along with relieving the spots on the axle where the knucles hit.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 03:06 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I just cut a couple mm's of the stub shaft so the axle would turn further....Cut it or grind so the end of the shaft is kinda flat, and the taper part of the end is reduced. Hope that is helpful. Good luck.
5150bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 03:07 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Oh, and too much is not good because the axle shaft, dog bone, will pop out, so you will just have to try and see how it works.
5150bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 03:14 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I usually trim my stub axle cups till they are flush with the back of the knuckle. Just grind a little at a time and keep checking your fit.
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 01:21 PM   #10

Thank you for the additional advice. I think I have enough to go by for now and should be cornering on a dime with these mods. You guys ROCK!
Old 02-11-2007, 08:35 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

i am having the problem that the plastic on the nuckle is twisting under the torque of the server. Time to relocate the links
CaptainSafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:15 AM   #12
Keep it real

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx
I usually trim my stub axle cups till they are flush with the back of the knuckle. Just grind a little at a time and keep checking your fit.
If you use the maxclimber stubs, they come from the factory 1/8" shorter than rockbuster ones, flush with the knuckle. I had to trim quite a bit of the knuckle arm before it came close to binding. I broke a maxclimber one and replaced with a spare from my rockbuster kit and goodbye steering. I am now ordering some replacement maxclimber ones
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:18 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

how come i can turn really nice to the right but not to the left..
konafreeride11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:33 AM   #14
Keep it real

Did you have the trim set at 0 before you put your servo horn on? Also what are you running for a servo and horn?
Old 02-11-2007, 10:35 AM   #15
Keep it real

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSafety
i am having the problem that the plastic on the nuckle is twisting under the torque of the server. Time to relocate the links
Or aluminum knuckles from TheCrawlerStore.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:58 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

If you have the money, my vote would be for the MIP CVDs coming soon. Check them out-
RCP's CVD's for the TLT axles...........New and Improved!!
worth the wait
rock_krawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 07:39 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

could someone possibly post up a pic of where/how much of the stub axle to grind...??Have my first comp in 1 week and would hate to grind the wrong thing or too much,wouldn't be able to get a replacement in time for comp....thanks
929freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:03 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 929freak
could someone possibly post up a pic of where/how much of the stub axle to grind...??Have my first comp in 1 week and would hate to grind the wrong thing or too much,wouldn't be able to get a replacement in time for comp....thanks
i ground a little too much off mine yesterday. i drilled the taperd part fluch with the rest of the cup. i just swithced with the rear stubs and now im good to go. now i hope i dont go too far this time! its hard to keep it flat. i recomend clamping the stub in a vise then using a die grinder. good luck
revin9k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:09 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

If you leave the stub in a knuckle then use a bench grider and let the stub spin it will keep it flat. Thats how I grind mine.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote