Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: My new 2.2 crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2006, 10:20 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default My new 2.2 crawler

Well i just got my diaz frame in today, very nice workmaship there. This is the first time i have built a crawler, it wasnt as bad as i thought, except that i am no where near done. The wheel base on it is 16 inches, i am thinking it might be a bit long for scale looks, but i think i like the stability it offers going up and down steep angles. I am running tlt axles, semi locked (gasket maker does not hold up, its not as bad as stock, but it will still break loose under hard bindings), semi locked pede tranny (i used same method, altho i suspect the sliper clutch plays more a role in the way it acts), runnin a tq2 radio, hitec 645 steering servo, intelispeed esc, and 2.2 moabs on the cheapest wheels my lhs had. lol. Right now i need a body for it, what do yall sugjest? Should i look for a t-max body, shorten the wheelbase to handle a 1/10 scale body, or modify a 1/10 scale body to make it longer? Let me know what yall think. I also need to finish upper links, the front drive shaft likes to pop out, but oddly enough, i havnt had much problem from the rear one, wierd. The shafts them selves are kinda odd too, i used stock pede shafts, and just attached the stock tlt shafts to the ends, and snugged them up with electircal tape. Well let me know if yall see anything i need to fix asap before i really damage something, this is my first crawler, but after testing it acouple of times, i never knew what i was missing. Now for a couple of pics.

truckerbuddy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2006, 04:59 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Looks ok but not the best i've seen
smallcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:38 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckerbuddy2
I also need to finish upper links, the front drive shaft likes to pop out, but oddly enough, i havnt had much problem from the rear one, wierd. The shafts them selves are kinda odd too, i used stock pede shafts, and just attached the stock tlt shafts to the ends, and snugged them up with electircal tape.
Wait. Say again? Seems like you said that the axle yoke isn't actually attached to the driveshaft (slides like the factory dogbone?) and that you use electrical tape to try to keep the shaft a constant length to keep it from compressing and falling out?
If so, you gotta come up with a better method. The driveshafts need to slide to compensate for articulation.
The reason the front pops out and not the rear could be related to pinion angle. Is the rear pinion angled upwards towards the trans a little bit?

As for the whole project - looks like the start of a great scale crawler. A 10th scale body isn't gonna be even close. Get a Maxx sized body and make it looks scale! You've already got the ladder chassis and upright shocks. I think a Ford F650 would look sweet!
SammyXp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 05:40 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I didnt tape the sliders, i read enough in advance to avoid that mistake, but i used tape to stifen the dogbones where the conect to the old pede axles. Just like changin the ujoints, only, they flp more. As for the angles, it depends on if im going foward or backward, the axles still like to pivot, and i think that could be a problem. Right now as its sitting on my shelf, the pinions are level with the ground, they are not angled up toward the shaft, once i start moveing, they should angle a little. I think some of the problems may be solved if i would build the right driveshafts, but im still reading up on how to do that.

Who make an f-650 body? That would be sweet. Im gona start lookin around for a body tho, i dont like to roll on my electronics. Yep, ive had it for less than 24 hours and ive rolled it 4 times. LOL. Id say thats a good start.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:56 PM   #5
I lost my vendor privileges

do you have 4 links? looks like only 2 in the pics
clodstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 06:01 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Im in the prosess of getting the upper links, i had most of what i needed, now im just filling in the details. And sad to say that the upper links are a big part of the details.
Old 09-17-2006, 06:12 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I may have missed something while reading this thread, but is there a particular reason why the C-Channel on your frame is pointing out? Most 1:1 vehicles the Cs are inward, so they'd form a box if you brought them toghether. Just curious.
All Out Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:24 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I thought that too, but i put it together without looking at pics, and the top leanded in and the bottom out, the top cross braces fit inside the rail, but the trannymount didnt, i then went to looking at pictures, and they all had the frame mounted thisway. As for a real truck, it would seem backwards, but i can understand this method, a smoothe contact with the running gear,and the channel keeps the screw and bold heads out of the way on the trail. Thats the only couple of things i can see why it is made that way, but its still a real nice frame in my opinion.