Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: The Pimp Slap...Ho Cake!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2006, 07:38 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Smile The Pimp Slap...Ho Cake!!!!!

I've read all of the reviews that people have been doing on this chassis. Everyone wants video and pics - you don't know chit until you run one of these. There isn't any action video other than Syco133's test runs because the guys that own them are too dag gone busy running it .

This is going to be a build thread, for my HO CAKE - because a Ho gotta eat too ya know - I'd take pictures, to tease you, but go collect some bottles on the side of the road and buy yourself one - you'll see

I'll start my review after I pull myself up off the floor because of what this thing can do - and trust me - between the customer support and the performance of the rig - pictures, video, or words can't show what this can do. PM Highmark, ask him what he thought when he took 6th at nationals using the Pimp Cane.......

After running mine for the very first time today - all I have to say - Articulation is OVERATED.........

As far as my setup, I am running the TLT - locked diffs, pede fronts on all four wheels, 2.2 Moabs with cut foams, EVX, TQ3 radio, HiTec 645mg servo up front, 55t Lathe motor with 9t pinion on a MAXX tranny - laid way down (very similar to Twisted Creations 2.2 maxx crawler), 6 cell 2400 AA battery pack, and the stock Maxx spur gear.

First impressions:
As far as the build goes, it is simple. Had to do a little drilling to mount the brackets for the chassis, but it isn't that big of a deal. After deciding where everything was going to go (electronics etc), it was done. Figuring out where to mount the body posts took a little time, but once again, no big deal.

As far as performance - once you get it on the rocks it takes about 30 mins to get used to the reduced articulation that you get from a 4 link setup. But what you'll notice once you get used to it is that the flex of the chassis is extremely predictable, more so than a 4 link. You just knew where the tires were going to end up once you picked a line. The COG is so low on this rig, I was able to keep up with my buddy's Super Class Stick chassis for the most part. This is definately a comp worthy truck. When you do happen to roll it over, you can recover from most situations and get it to turn itself over - I would have to say that is because it is so stinking light. This is a FUN rig to drive - and that's what it's all about....

The only thing that I am going to have to do is fabricate a skid of some sort to keep the edge of the motor can from getting snagged on the rocks due to the fact that there isn't any rail on the left side of the chassis. But, I don't think this is going to be a problem for those of you running a pede tranny.

I did manage to break some parts on my axles, and the parts aren't coming in until Tuesday. So....I'll post some shots once I get the broken things swapped out. I want the Ho Cake to look good in the pics!!!!

Bottom line - for the price, simplicity, and fun factor, I give the Pimp Slap an A++++. Syco133 is a great vendor. And the product is everything I had hoped and more - So much so that I am now waiting on my Super Pimp Cane for my clod.

Last edited by HannibalLecter; 10-02-2006 at 08:00 AM.
HannibalLecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2006, 07:50 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Yupper, my bestest buddy JB builds some killer chassis, and is really the only guy to deal with if to go if you want to go torsion.

Did you make it to GR? If you did sorry I didn't say "hi".

Maybe I'll catch you in FOTO.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 08:46 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

HO !!!!!!!! where Slap her . now you been PIMP SLAPED whats you gona do ? get some pics up me lets see the HO Cake
Badd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 07:09 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmark
Yupper, my bestest buddy JB builds some killer chassis, and is really the only guy to deal with if to go if you want to go torsion.

Did you make it to GR? If you did sorry I didn't say "hi".

Maybe I'll catch you in FOTO.
Yep...been talking to him a lot in the past week or so.....Wife's radiator went out so I had to cancel my trip to GR, but I will be at FOTO!
Old 10-02-2006, 01:19 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badd
HO !!!!!!!! where Slap her . now you been PIMP SLAPED whats you gona do ? get some pics up me lets see the HO Cake
Com'on man - you've been pimped- and you know how it is. I'm too busy driving it to stop for pictures - besides I ended up tearing up the servo mount and had to zip tie it together Replacement axles are on their way Tuesday, I'll get pics then!!!
Old 10-02-2006, 06:03 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Pics: ignore the yellow zip ties....the replacements are on the way-

Old 10-03-2006, 06:38 AM   #7
Colt Python/SR9c

cool. Glad to see ya got it up and running. Is there anyway possible to put the EVX on the rear axle and maybe make a small plate to bolt to the backbone for the RX? That way you can get them down just a tad lower.

Can't wait to see it at FOTO
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 07:07 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedCreations
cool. Glad to see ya got it up and running. Is there anyway possible to put the EVX on the rear axle and maybe make a small plate to bolt to the backbone for the RX? That way you can get them down just a tad lower.

Can't wait to see it at FOTO
Thanks man - I have to give you and Kris some credit for the inspiration on the motor mount making it possible for me to even consider using a Maxx tranny on a 2.2 (and I forgot to mention that it is locked in 1st )....If you look closely, I may even neede to trim the motor plate a little more just to get a little more clearance - but it does protect a gd600 or a lathe with a larger spur...still debating about that.

I considered moving stuff down, my EVX is a little glitchy and I think it might be because its so close to the RX. I wasn't sure about mounting anything to the spine until I get more familiar with the flex. I didn't want to start adding plates that might cause it to bind. Remember that PM I sent you when I first ordered it - reserving the spot in the rear for a little future "special" project - gonna put some junk in the Ho's trunk if you know what I mean

[edit] I was looking over the pics again, and The EVX is going to the rear - gets it down more and I think it'll look cleaner.
I'll be there at FOTO - couldn't make it to GR, wife's radiator went out on thursday and needed replaced.

Last edited by HannibalLecter; 10-03-2006 at 07:14 AM.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:20 AM   #9
Colt Python/SR9c

Yeah you missed a great time at GR.. sucks to hear about the radiator. My hot water heater decided to start leaking while I was down there, gotta look at it today

As for the glitching- I noticed that when I had stuff mounted close like that in my tubers, it would glitch also. Something about the power wires and the RX wire being to close. I always heard that you wanted to mount each of them on opposite sides of the chassis. As for bolting on the plate, it may stiffen it up just a tad, but i don't think enough to notice, unless you make it a 4" wide plate Maybe before you bolt it down, put some rubber spacers/bushings in between there to give it some type of movement still. just an idea
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 07:26 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedCreations
Maybe before you bolt it down, put some rubber spacers/bushings in between there to give it some type of movement still. just an idea
Dude after all my drama , its good to see we're back on the same page! I was thinking that exact same thing - similar to the way a motor mounts on a full size vehicle. I also think that the way I'm running the antenna is screwing with me. The replacement axles are coming in tonight so I'll swap out the broken one and get some new picts.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:46 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Update: The evx is going to the rear and I'm going to move the receiver to the spot where the EVX is now. Narrowed the 2 front wheels, going to narrow the rears tonight - basically cut the inner ring clean and moved it in - so whatever the bead width is x2 is how much I narrowed them. I'm not sure I want to run wideners at this point and my right fron was rubbing on the chassis. I'll post pics of the narrowed compared to the unnarrowed tonight. 2.2 wheels are a heck of a lot easier to narrow than the stock clod! Not nearly as much grinding!!!
Old 10-05-2006, 03:48 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

that looks good
andres-tavares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 03:56 PM   #13
RCC Addict

That is one big arse tranny I would go to a pede if you have one to swap in it will let it perform better and with that motor stuck all the way out there it may cause issues.
syco133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 05:13 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by syco133
That is one big arse tranny I would go to a pede if you have one to swap in it will let it perform better and with that motor stuck all the way out there it may cause issues.
Father, do you have such little faith in your child ????

NOPE...keeping the maxx tranny, if I get off my lazy arse to actualy take pictures, there is a big change in the way I mounted it to where the motor isn't as big of a deal - but the weight is still lower than it would be with a pee'd tranny

Update and notes: my very biased opinions (for those of you wanting to get the most out of the slap!!!)-

#1 - use the supplied tranny mount. If you choose to fabricate your own, I highly recommend making sure it mounts, or bolts, to the upright portion of the L.

#2 - Avoid mounting anything to the spine except the tranny. I have my batteries mounted behind the front servo - ON THE AXLE. I've found that bolting any more plates (or any wider than the supplied tranny mounting plate) inhibits the torsion twist points. this thing torsion flexes best with 2 flex points - both are half way between the points where the tranny plate is bolted.

#3 - Center your body posts. As I have mine now, the two front posts are limiting the flex, and getting in the way of the spine doing what it needs to. I need to fabricate a mount that will allow mw to only use 2 mounts.

#4 - BUY ONE....after about 10 hours of run time on some serious terrain, against full out sticks and SW2's (both of which are great chassis), the pimp slap Ho Cake continues to blow my mind....the only limitation is the driver's ability.

I'll get you some video soon, but until then, I stand by the statement that you can't come close to understanding the pure fun that this simple chasiss can be until you get out there with it.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:45 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Glad you like it man your other stuff is on its way
syco133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 07:23 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Like it?!? Loving it!!! Everything I come up on is "yeah, ok, and you had trouble why???"

Last edited by HannibalLecter; 10-09-2006 at 06:51 AM.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:40 PM   #17
I lost my vendor privileges

they call him CHIEF SLAP ALOT OF HO FROM THE BEAT A BIT** TRIBE. LMAO
clodstall is offline   Reply With Quote