Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: First ever RC = TLT buildup Ouch...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2006, 02:33 PM   #1
RSX

Default First ever RC = TLT buildup Ouch...

I jumped in head first and it hurt J/K I wanted to Thank all the guys who did a build-up thread Ryan at Tammies Thank You......Thanks run2jeepn for all the help and thanks to guys like Bender who took things to the extremes that they did to make this build possible it was frustrating doing my own parts but now that Im close it feels pretty good...here is a link from where I started to where I am now..........http://www.putfile.com/rsextonjr
P.S. Also a big Thank you go's out to BrockGrimes who pretty much has all of the threads ive read committed to memory.

Last edited by RSX; 10-28-2006 at 03:58 PM.
RSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2006, 02:38 PM   #2
2006 2.2 National Champ

Nice looking rig, I like the chassis.

There's alot cussing involved with these builds, but as you know already, it's great when you finally finish and start crawling.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 02:50 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Nice looking rig, sounds like you've hooked up with some really good people to get you out on the right foot. Is this the new SW2.5 or whatever it's called? Pretty sweet!!
DeaDShorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 03:54 PM   #4
RSX

No I did the chassis in Autocad and then did it at work on a cnc mill took me awhile as I had to do it on my breaks or lunch hour......I just thanked Bender for the inspiration.....I would have bought an SW2 but I didnt want my motor or tranny hanging out of the chassis I wanted a cleaner look thats all.
Old 10-28-2006, 04:03 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Looks like a really nice chassis, nice to have the tools, EH?
DeaDShorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 11:33 PM   #6
RSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrice
Looks like a really nice chassis, nice to have the tools, EH?
It is nice but it can be a curse we know we can make most of the metal pieces.......then we keep thinking up new or different ways to do things and I'm starting to feel like I'll never actually finish it.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:57 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I'm glad I could help ya out. Just like Bender said. There where days I just waited to through the thing in the trash and light it on fire, but when it's all done it's worth it. Next thing you know your wanting to start it all over.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 01:06 AM   #8
RSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn
I'm glad I could help ya out. Just like Bender said. There where days I just waited to through the thing in the trash and light it on fire, but when it's all done it's worth it. Next thing you know your wanting to start it all over.
With a JPCustoms tuber maybe......Yeah I can see it coming.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:29 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Thumbs up

Awesome chassis man.Welcome to the curse club.I like it when you combined them....*&^%%!Nice start,I wish Bender would'of helped me on my 1st build,butthole.
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 02:18 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColquittCustom405
Awesome chassis man.Welcome to the curse club.I like it when you combined them....*&^%%!Nice start,I wish Bender would'of helped me on my 1st build,butthole.

That rig looks sick I love the chassy
Shane
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 10:58 AM   #11
RSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColquittCustom405
Dude, I dont know Bender personally I just was so inspired by his design that I had to make my own thats why I thanked him.....Believe me I was As they say "Flying by the seat of my pants" until I got it together and realized it may just work.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:52 PM   #12

thats a nice set up to be honest i seen other crawlers with there links bent and i was wondering what dose that do
hawaiiankrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:57 PM   #13
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiankrawler
thats a nice set up to be honest i seen other crawlers with there links bent and i was wondering what dose that do
It just gives you a little more ground clearance, to avoid hanging the links up on rocks.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 12:59 AM   #14
RSX

Default Up and running finally

Hey guys finally got it moving in 4wd but now comes the task of pulling it back apart and thread locking everything, cutting off long bolts and putting the bearings in the front diff and putting the grease in, my question is how much grease should I put where? Also the new pics are up here........
http://www.putfile.com/rsextonjr
Note: The wheel wideners I made at work out of brass, dont know how long they will last but they came out nice also check out the steel yokes cause I got tired of waiting on Traxxas to make more.....
Now if only I could decide on a body. As always if you see something screwy looking please let me know.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:22 PM   #15
RSX

Default Final touches

Alright got home from my kids karate this morning and fixed my problem with the rear yoke popping off.....just needed to drill a hole, took it out and climbed it straight up the DG hill outside my back door and havent even glued the tires yet( I wasnt sure if I got enough weight on the wheels yet) I put 2 oz of sticky lead on each front wheel and only 1 oz in the rear. The reason I went light is because each of the wideners weighs 4.5 ounces each does this make any sense? It seems to very capable the way it is and if I need more weight I can then place weights in between the webbing of the wheels. Have no idea how much the truck weighs right now I'll weigh it on monday though.I also cut the foams in a star or somewhat like a star
Old 11-04-2006, 02:17 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Get your steering links above the little arm on the knuckle. Helps with clearance. Other than that, you're doing really good.
ILoveRCRockCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 04:27 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Default chassis

nice chassis i like it
codizzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 06:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER
It just gives you a little more ground clearance, to avoid hanging the links up on rocks.
thanks bro good to know
hawaiiankrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 12:20 AM   #19
RSX

Hey guys its been a long time but life tends to take over.....posted some pics with the body out in my yard dont seem to have time for any real rocks right now....http://www.putfile.com/rsextonjr
Old 12-30-2006, 02:39 AM   #20

Nice looking rig.
md99taco is offline   Reply With Quote