Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: XC/CC.. Hummer IFS/IRS suspension help tips wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2005, 11:15 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Question XC/CC.. Hummer IFS/IRS suspension help tips wanted

Alright, Over the weekend I picked up a Hummer so I could compete in the ORCRC XC/CC class. I know it's limited but I need to know what I can do to improve the suspension....

Due to the fairly strict rules that ORCRC has setup for the XC/CC class I'm limited to the stock items that are on the rig. I need to figure out how to improve the suspension without altering it too much past stock. I need to pass tech inspection so the modifications can't be too extreme

Here's what I've done so far:

- Removed rubber stops from inside shocks
- Made my own springs to soften the ride

What else can I do?

Here's how it looks as of tonight..... #1 & #2 pics are of the rear flexed up on a stock TLT wheel, #3 is the front flexed up on stock TLT wheel and #4 is sitting, posing. In all the flexed pictures, all 4 tires are touching the ground(err, table).
Attached Images

toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2005, 11:18 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

check on scale 4x4. there is a guy with one of the s10s (i think that this is a similar chassis. he has some extreme articulation with all independent. although i think that that sort of mod would mean that you wouldnt pass inspection. although you could gain some valuable ideas possibly.

fuzz
fuzzhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 11:22 PM   #3
RCC Addict

If its like a pajero or touareg you can dremel out some plastic under the a arms to get more droop, like fuzzhead said check out scale4x4 they are a big help till rccrawler gets the scale link up.I hope.
syco133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 11:23 PM   #4
2006 2.2 National Champ

I ran the F-150 chassis for a while and the only problem I had was breaking the stock axle shafts. I ordered a set of CVD's from Tamiya for the TL-01, never broke another.
I don't know if it's allowed??
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 11:26 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzhead
check on scale 4x4. there is a guy with one of the s10s (i think that this is a similar chassis. he has some extreme articulation with all independent. although i think that that sort of mod would mean that you wouldnt pass inspection. although you could gain some valuable ideas possibly.

Yeah I saw that S-10 on Scale4x4rc.us I don't think I'd get away with that many modifications.

I do know that I need to trim the body to help with tire clearence. Currently the tires rub on the body when the suspension compresses, I hate to trim the hummer body but it'd only be about 2mm or 3mm of material removed.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:28 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER
I ran the F-150 chassis for a while and the only problem I had was breaking the stock axle shafts. I ordered a set of CVD's from Tamiya for the TL-01, never broke another.
I don't know if it's allowed??

I think shaving some of the plastic away from the A-arms would be fine and I think adding the CVD's would pass too.

Hell, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to change springs on the shocks :? But I did
Old 03-23-2005, 11:37 PM   #7
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

This is great Toyo. I bought a F-150 last weekend and am building it now. In fact I put one part on it yesterday! Talk about progress!

I believe the hummer and the F-150 chassis are the same, so this is perfect timing for this thread.

Now figure this shit out so I can steal your ideas!

I will update this thread if I think of anything.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 11:54 PM   #8
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger
This is great Toyo. I bought a F-150 last weekend and am building it now. In fact I put one part on it yesterday! Talk about progress!

I believe the hummer and the F-150 chassis are the same, so this is perfect timing for this thread.

Now figure this shit out so I can steal your ideas!

I will update this thread if I think of anything.

I thought that the F-150 and the Hummer were the same chassis, but I sold my F-150 about 7 months ago so I wasn't positive.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 04:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92YotaOnRims
toyo...in Rc Car Action this month...somebody wrote in on how to increase their RC18T trucks suspension travel for on tracks. Car Action wrote back by saying that the person can unscrew the shock shaft rod ends by 2mm, but you will need to slide an o ring over the shock shaft on the outside to prevent the shock pistons from contacting the shock bladders.

I hope this helps!
That sounds to me like you are gaining 2 mm by unscrewing the shock shaft rod end, and then loosing most of the 2mm gained by adding the o ring.

Am I not getting the right picture?
Old 03-24-2005, 04:28 PM   #10
PapaGriz Yo

It will give you more clearance but not any more travel.

I found with my 4Tec and Hummer that suspension mods helped very little. I found it more beneficial to keep the suspension stiff to maintain what little ground clearance there is and let the low CG compensate. Duratax gold shocks (the short ones) are a little longer and will give you more travel.

Last edited by Grizzly4x4; 03-24-2005 at 04:58 PM.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 04:32 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

On my Wild Willy 2 I used touring car shock bodies with front buggy shafts to get the overall length of shock I needed. It works well but the shocks leak like a sive because of the piston & bladder issue. Looks cool with blue shocks though. When I get a Touareg I'll swap shocks.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 07:06 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Well, Since I can't swap shocks I will have to live with what I have. Perhaps I'll just play with spring/oil weight combos. These stock shocks are quite nice for plastic units.

I plan to trim away some of the plastic on the A-arms to gain that extra .5mm of travel

What other tires besides the stock Hummer treads and 'Jero/Twrag BFG's fit on these XC/CC rims? Anyone know? Trying to keep it as stock as I can yet gain something in the traction area. Locked diffs can only go so far
Old 03-24-2005, 07:28 PM   #13

Uh oh Toyo, I smell something... smells like you'll be cooking up some parts for the XC chassis!
hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 08:46 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hack
Uh oh Toyo, I smell something... smells like you'll be cooking up some parts for the XC chassis!

Right now I don't have much in the idea box... I haven't had enough "behind the wheel" time to really experience the rig yet. Hell, I've only ran two packs through it now. I even re-built my backyard crawling area to be a XC/CC trail system. I had a blast running it tonight, battery dumped right before my cold meds kicked in... it could have been a nasty adventure if the drugs would have kicked in sooner
Old 03-24-2005, 08:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92YotaOnRims
the o ring can compress to be smaller tho...i dunno...i just typed that out of the mag...but when your truck is sitting still you could gain that 2mm extra clearance. I don't know, i just thought it'd help
I wasn't knocking your suggestion.

I really don't know until I try it. I still have not finished building the rear end yet. I have been so busy on the computer these last several days.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:40 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger
I really don't know until I try it. I still have not finished building the rear end yet.

I'd stick with the included instructions for building the shocks. Although don't install the small rubber spacer inside the shocks body/on the shock shaft. It will just be removed later.

I ran the truck tonight and found that it flexes quite nicely now, much better than before. I have Losi 35wt oil and "custom" Losi white springs.... custom = cut to fit. I actually made the white Losi springs a couple mm shorter than the stock Tamiya springs.

This damn thing is soo much fun to drive, especially after I revamped my backyard to allow some trials like terrain.