Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: what's bad about the TLT tranny?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2007, 06:29 PM   #1

Default what's bad about the TLT tranny?

I don't see anybody using this tranny, why? is there anything bad, i'm getting the tlt kit, and i want to use the stock tranny for a little while. Can I put pede shafts onto this tranny? because i want to put longer rods on it and the stock dogbones sure won't work, and I don't want to get a new dog bones.

Last edited by iphong; 04-24-2007 at 06:36 PM.
iphong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2007, 06:51 PM   #2

1:The tranny does not have a locked center diff. Instead, it is an adjustable ball diff.

2:The tranny has a belt drive. From the spur gear to the output shaft, there is a belt which is prone to slipping when using a higher torque motor.
green24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:59 PM   #3
Official Cook of the ECC

Pede shafts will not connect w/o some creativity. If at all possible, I would pick up a pede tranny. They can be had for as little as 40 bucks.
If you are the type of driver with a heavy throttle finger, the belt in the stock trans won't last long.

It is possible to lock the center diff, and you could just be a little easy on it and it might last a while. A buddy of mine found some longer dogbones out of something(hpi maybe?) that worked really well. I will ask him what they came out of.

Last edited by Scattman; 04-24-2007 at 07:04 PM.
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 07:17 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Everything. Size, durability, ratio, compatilbility with current chassises, belt driven-ness, center diff, and the like. Everything but...price.
Crawlerguy851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:49 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

The tlt trannys dissadvantage is mostly the belt drive. The diff is lockable, just like any other diff, and you can use dog bones, you just need to get longer ones, or extend them. If you are desperate for the stock tranny, this is what i would suggest.

I've seen guys run another gear instead of the belt, but i dont know what the gear ration would be like. The easiest thing to do would be to make a belt tentioner, which there are threads on here about that.

Also, different, or extended dogbones. I've mad a set of dogbones for a different project, by drilling holes in 1/4" aluminum rod, cutting the dog bones in haf and gluing them into the rod for extention. Only used the bones once, but they seemed to hold up under torque.

Hope this helps.
Mlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:45 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I actually have some MT dogbones that I bought to stretch my tlt with when I was going to keep stock tranny, but never used.

I'll send em your way if you can drop $8... lemme know... I think they will help stretch to a 12 or 11.5 wheel base... I don't remember now
gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:57 AM   #7
I lost my vendor privileges

i ran one for awhile in my first tlt build.lock diff with jb weld like everything else. drill output for peedy shafts like peedy tranny is done as well.belt tensioner on tranny for slippage help.
clodstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 03:49 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

I'm having pretty good luck running a dual belt tensioner set up and a better belt. but looking back I wish I has just spent the money for a pede transmision
baldchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:04 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

having good luck with mine

it has a aingle belt tentioner

but dont have that much drive time on it yet

it shid b fine if you are just starting out crawling and using the stock chassis but as soon as you want a different chassis just spend the extre cash for a traxxas tarnny

just my few pennies
raceace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 07:22 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

My modified TLT transmission works pretty good.
I've installed a single roller tensioner (homebuilt) and an RS4 belt from HPI.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXM740&P=7
This belt is thicker and wider than stock, but a hair bigger in diameter. Alone, the HPI belt will skip even worse than a stock belt. Add a tensioner, though, and if set up properly the stock TLT transmission will do the job.
This is how I made the tensioner - just spare nuts, bolts and washers w/ an aluminum roller:

Set up this way I have to REALLY bind a wheel up in a hole or under a ledge to get the belt to skip. When it does skip, I feel that it's actually beneficial - probably saving me from breaking driveline parts.

I should state that I just crawl for fun - I DO NOT compete.

If you do want to compete and do well, my advice is to set the TLT transmission aside and use a gear driven transmission like a 'Pede or RC4WD R2
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:45 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

You'll have to get the power to the axles somehow.

I've never messed with shafts from other kits like Revo, E-Maxx, etc. - I've just always thought it's a lot easier to make dogbones the length I need vs. trying to adapt different shafts.

I place a short section of pen spring inside the transmission drive cups, they help hold the dogbones in place. They never fall out (except when I break a lower link)

Last edited by Big Mike; 04-27-2007 at 09:58 AM.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote