Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: What's the next hot 2.2 building trend going to be??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2005, 10:38 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default What's the next hot 2.2 building trend going to be??

So.... What will happen next?

We've seen people buy a TLT kit for just the axles. People will buy complete Traxxas trucks/cars for just the tranny, then mix it together with an aftermarket chassis or homebuilt.

What will the next hot ticket for a 2.2 comp crawler be? Can TLT axles keep up with the demanding abuse we have been dishing out on them?
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2005, 10:59 PM   #2
RCC Addict

The PTI Goliath maybe?
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 11:03 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

how about custom aloy or just plain fiber reenforced plastic axles made specificly for homebuilts? Id be the first there to buy if someone made em!
Madkoifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 11:07 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I can't really say what the next trend would be. I can say that the TLT axles are pretty strong for what I personally have put them through.
The only thing I have broke so far was the original rock buster axles and one "C".
The "C" that I broke was kind of my fault. I did however notice when I took the diff apart to fix it. I notice the pinion starting to show a twisting of the teeth and the pinion was also not in the origninal position on the shaft. It was like the pinion was walking off the shaft.
With my motor and reduction set up I have, nothing will stall the motor so something has to give.
DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 11:18 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

i think traxxas needs to step up to the plate, make a factory rock crawler, or maybe not, just my 2 cents.
Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 09:16 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic
i think traxxas needs to step up to the plate, make a factory rock crawler, or maybe not, just my 2 cents.
I myself would hate to see a company setup and build an off the shelf crawler. Yes it would be a huge step for crawling, but I love the fact that you have to have a relatively high level of intelligence to build a crawler. Well except for Dirk. I can't figure how he does it.

But seriously it keeps some of the morons out of our hair. Except BtoB
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 09:19 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckjeep
but I love the fact that you have to have a relatively high level of intelligence to build a crawler. Well except for Dirk. I can't figure how he does it.
Thats a great point,
Old 05-17-2005, 09:21 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Oh I'm going to have may axles Cryo'd for my 1:1 jeep so I'm going to throw in my RC axles too. BHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 05-17-2005, 09:29 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I agree with you Dave, the Crawl-Maxx would be innovative, independent suspension, and nitro. It would be some other incarnation of the t-maxx. Blah. (No disrespect to the maxx based rigs on this forum, which are more or less, not maxxes anyway). While I too hate the idea of Traxxas having anything to do with this aspect of the hobby, it seems that Traxxas can do whatever the heck it wants and make it popular. True, it would bring a lot more knuckleheads into the game, but it would also make Dirk's vision of aftermarket crawler parts a reality.

You wouldn't be able to complain about it on their forum either it would seem...

As for the next great 2.2, my instinct says that small companies will be coming into the game soon, like PTI. HPI, Traxxas, and OFNA are becoming RTR nitro companies, because there is a formula for success there. I'd say look to some obscure company that is willing to take a gamble with something new that they believe in. The other guys are banking on popular formulas, albeit with interesting twists.
radishkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 09:55 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I think something like a portal axle or like "IB Racn" dual Pede crawler is maybe where its headed..... That way you have high clearance diffs with the motor(s) down low. I do think people will be more concerned with weight and typing to keep the rigs light also.

Although if you look at 1:1 crawling, its mostly doninated now with "moonbuggys" and most of those guys don't have portal axles so I could be totally wrong. but everyone has winches on the suspension to control there droop and ride hieght.

Now heres an idea.... What about using smaller motors??? People are using small batteries to lighten their rigs, why not use small motors?
4RnrRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 10:00 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Also an idea to stop the dreaded shafty torque steer lifting a wheel!
4RnrRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 10:12 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

pti has mentioned a axle only kit, and if they do it will be the next big 2.2 based rig. but pti is haivng none stop production problems with all there current products so i won't hold my breath.

i would like to see tamiya do a axle kit only and have knight hauler axle optioned for 6x6 rigs, traxxas to sell complete magnum trannies, and more companies thinking small. the 10th scale supersized(and up) nitro beasts have rained the cutting edge for the last few years.
ronbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 10:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RnrRick
Now heres an idea.... What about using smaller motors??? People are using small batteries to lighten their rigs, why not use small motors?
like this?

and this?

with reduction, the kyosho 480 cans work really well. well enough to strip diffs and break axle shafts anyway.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 10:39 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

"i think traxxas needs to step up to the plate, make a factory rock crawler, or maybe not, just my 2 cents"

Haha! I know something you all don't!!!!
DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 10:49 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeDigler
"i think traxxas needs to step up to the plate, make a factory rock crawler, or maybe not, just my 2 cents"

don't break your arm patting yourself on the back ;)

and i bet i can guess what is!
ronbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 10:58 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Dirk always seems to have a heads up, doesn't he? Then again, he's in so many forums under so many names, that it's no wonder now is it?
radishkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 11:18 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
What's that your maiden name?
Old 05-17-2005, 01:41 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Haha!!!! I still know and none of you do!!!! Haha!!!!
Old 05-17-2005, 02:03 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Haha!!!! I still know and none of you do!!!! Haha!!!!
so are you going to tell or just be a
Old 05-17-2005, 02:08 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

I'm just going to be a dick.
Can't tell. BUT.........Let's just say:
A BIG, BIG rc manufacturer has built a crawler.