Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Stick/Shaft with forced articulation.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2007, 12:55 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Stick/Shaft with forced articulation.

WARNING: This is only a pieced together hack of a mock-up and in no way represents how I build things for actual use. But at least there's no duct tape on it.

After seeing Double J's Shaft built, it helped me understand the suspension design behind the Crawler Store's stick. Basically to me, it's a wishbone 3 link where the wishbone can't move up and down. So that brought me back to the forced articulation setup, which I had tried before but was troublesome. I thought the stationary wishbone, would solve the problems with the forced articulation. So I pieced this pile of poo together to test it. Have not ran it yet and it need much fine tuning. Just cycling the suspension it seems to have solved the "floppy" nature of forced articulation unless extra links would have been. I also wire clamped an old chassis I;d made back in my nylint days on top. If it turns out to work well I have a pile of 3/16" solid stainless rod that I will transfer the mounts onto a tuber. Anyway, here's the pics.

Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2007, 02:23 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

nice rig
those tires look awsome. how tall are they?
more info on this truck please
havik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 05:36 AM   #3
I lost my vendor privileges

how does the suspension work for ya? looks good so far and interesting.ive thought about doing something kinda like that same idea.cant wait to see it finished.
clodstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 11:52 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Tires are LSTs cut down and narrowed, 5.5" tall and I think around 2.75" wide with stock stanpede sidewalls. They're kind of stiff for 2.2 tire standards but are fairly good. I don't have it running yet and there are a few bugs to work out. Everything is off, like bolt holes and things because I just threw it together quick to see how it would work. I like the forced articulation idea because it does away with torque twist and no need to mess around with spring rates. The stock TLT cantilevers aren't great. 90* would be better than the roughly 120* that they are. With the higher angle of seperation, they can invert at full flex. Also a different cantilever arm ratio would probably work better. The TLT cantis have both arms the same length, it would work better if the arm that was linked to the axle was longer that the arm connected to the other canti. I also had another thought to expand on this suspension design. A coupler nut and bolt to replace all the links. It's been done on nylints, I made one on my old 1:18 nylint.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:11 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Omg, definetly more pics and info! Looks great.
klrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 12:55 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Something similar to this is what I was talking about with the bolt and nut. It would replace the lower links, which just like in DoubleJ's build, need to be angled with the chassis mounts closer together to keep axle steer down.
http://i2.tinypic.com/sl1h7c.jpg
Old 04-14-2007, 01:11 PM   #7
MODERATOR™

I'm not sure if you've ever seen my old TXT forced articulation truck. I had pretty good results when all was said and done with it. The biggest problem I had was on very vertical climbs. If the truck is near rolling over backwards and the right front tire became unloaded, there was nothing to push it back down. You can see it in a video I made, found in my thread:

No shocks or springs, forced articulation shafty

I really want to piece it all back together, I enjoyed driving it a lot.

Keep tweaking, and good luck with that thing.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 05:37 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Yup, your build was the inspiration for when I attempted forced articulation the first time. On your rig you needed solid links on one side and cantilevers on the other side. With the stick/shaft design that isn't needed. I like trying out the non-ordinary suspensions. This rig was a torsion stick. Rebuilding it as a forced articulation tuber probably will make it perform worse, but I think I;d rather have a beater than a comp rig anyway.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:59 PM   #9
RCC Addict

My builds go slow anyway, but I've been working on my Chevy so it seems the crawler is going slower than usual. Gotta have it done by memorial day weekend though so I can take it to an offroad event I'll be attending. If ya can't drive your trail rig atleast you can crawl on the rocks with an RC when everyone stops to help someone change an axleshaft or something. Anyway, got a very small amount done today. Also sporting my pizza box mockup of the tubing, atleast the important tubing. The front and rear tubing I haven't decided on yet.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:27 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I worked on a forced artic set up that didn't pan out as nicely, with mine each side was tied into one shock, and the idea is that when one tire on a side goes up, it forces the upward preasure to the other wheel on the same side, giving you more traction. i forgot about my cantilevers, that might be the missing link
Bknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:10 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I got some revo cantilevers, should work better than the TLT canti's. I was looking through EeePee's TXT build and watching his videos. I think I can live with some of the quirks like getting the tire stuck in a hole. Not like this will be for a comp, so I'll just back up. I'm off to cut more rivets out of my Chevy, hopefully I'll get back to the crawler sometime.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:04 PM   #12
MODERATOR™

The biggest quirk I had issues with was after 1:33 in this video: http://www.rcpics.net/view_single.php?medid=71115

There's a way to alleviate this problem, and I think a spring mounted somewhere to straighten the suspension back out would be the ticket.

In my thread SlinkySam made me aware that such a problem was going to happen. There's nothing to counter the twist motion, and because all the tires aren't loaded, it just stays in that position.

The spring might slow the flopping over problem also.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 04:05 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Got the tube work finished more or less. I may add more when I get back from my trip next weekend, but for now this will do. I also made a thick aluminum tierod for the front. 1/4" aluminum that I got out of a scrapped car amplifier. I'll get some skins on it and a skid for the bottom sometime. I also switched back to the larger homemade tires with wideners due to clearance problems, plus they look meaner.

Old 05-19-2007, 05:37 PM   #14

How long will the TLT axles live with that tire ?
I would like to do the same thing but I'm concerned about massive breakage with that size of tire.
Your build looks awesome, I love the look of the claws on your truck!
too much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 05:59 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by too much View Post
How long will the TLT axles live with that tire ?
I would like to do the same thing but I'm concerned about massive breakage with that size of tire.
Your build looks awesome, I love the look of the claws on your truck!
read post #4......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamus View Post
Tires are LSTs cut down and narrowed, 5.5" tall and I think around 2.75" wide with stock stanpede sidewalls. They're kind of stiff for 2.2 tire standards but are fairly good. I don't have it running yet and there are a few bugs to work out. Everything is off, like bolt holes and things because I just threw it together quick to see how it would work. I like the forced articulation idea because it does away with torque twist and no need to mess around with spring rates. The stock TLT cantilevers aren't great. 90* would be better than the roughly 120* that they are. With the higher angle of seperation, they can invert at full flex. Also a different cantilever arm ratio would probably work better. The TLT cantis have both arms the same length, it would work better if the arm that was linked to the axle was longer that the arm connected to the other canti. I also had another thought to expand on this suspension design. A coupler nut and bolt to replace all the links. It's been done on nylints, I made one on my old 1:18 nylint.
STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 06:21 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Yeah, they're about the same as All-Ts or Redrocks, plus they're stiff. So I'd say the axles will last. Now if they were soft tires like proline rubber, then maybe they'd get enough bite to break something. Not that it can't be done, but with conservative driving it should be fine. There's always CVDs, haha.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:22 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

i love that tuber in the first pics
jatoisthematto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 11:22 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatoisthematto View Post
i love that tuber in the first pics
Thanks, I still kinda like the formula chassis but that one is all kinds of bent.

So I pieced this thing together and drove it through the house. Not too bad, but I screwed myself on the battery and electronics placement. Originally I intended to put a rhombus(sp?) pack on the other side and that's why the pede tranny is upright. Well, the connecting link for the cantilevers is running there now. So my idea is to put the battery in the "trunk" area. So the weight is getting higher and rearward. I still think it will work ok, not intended to be a comp rig anyway. I guess with that setup I'll just run weight in the front tires and none in the rear. I'm leaning towards fullsize diamond plate panels, because I have it and it'll add some flash.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:47 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Took it for a shakedown run, and shook the wheels off, haha. I got video that I posted in the video section. Forgot to bring my wheel nut tool and they loosened so it was a short day. All the pics are posed because I lost 2 wheels in making the video. It did good, more permanent mounting of the batt and electronics would help. Well, here they are.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:44 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Well, I suck at taking action shots, probably because I'm driving. Here's some poser shots with the skins on though.