Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: TLT1 Max Climber ????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2004, 07:46 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default TLT1 Max Climber ????

Is it worth the extra cost??? Another question is has anybody done a full on tube chassie TLT?? I am thinking of building one. How tuff are these trucks is another question.
DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2004, 09:08 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: TLT1 Max Climber ????

i personally dont think the tlt max climber is worth it because its the same thing except with a stick pack holder (which you can easially make with two reusable zip ties) and a different body which looks heavier and almost looks to small for the truck.

I have seen a full tube chassis on a tlt and it looked very nice. I wish i had saved the pic but it was powdercoated black and had a grave digger body and a custom tranny. If i were you i would definatly go for the tube chassis.

Some parts of these trucks are extreamly tough but others leave a little bit to be desired. Such as the stock linkages. I bent 3 of mine within the first week i had my tlt. I would recommend that anyone who purches this truck even if they dont wish to lengthen it either reenforce the stock links or make a custom set. Another part that i broke was the parts that connect the upper links to the chassis. I managed to break the threaded piece off one of mine.

hope ive answered your questions. If you have anymore feel free to ask
pedesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 10:52 PM   #3
RCC Addict

pedesrule, thanks you have pretty much got me to make up my mind.
I will be ordering one soon. I will do a scale crawler than a tuber after that thrill is gone.
Is there any jeep bodys that are good to work with? Some thing 190mm or narrower? I have been looking and have yet to find one that fits what I have in mind. I thought of going to Toys R us and start looking. :?
Old 08-07-2004, 11:53 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

TLT's are pretty darn tough. The biggest complaint I have heard is the drive axle breaking right at where it is a ball/pin (just on the outsides of the axles where they hook up to the drive cup/screw that the wheels bolt onto. It is narrower there and people who are running ultra powerful motor setups break it there.

How much more is it? Kinda strange for it to be more expensive. Also, the max climber comes with more powerful drive axles, so if you break the stock TLT ones and order some new ones in, you'll get the beefy ones.

Oh and Rock1024 has a TLT tuber. He says he's getting it done, and it might be at our little filmability crawl tomorrow, I'm taking my camera, so I'll snap some pics if he'll allow it.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 03:18 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Right on, that sounds good. I just picked up a tlt today. I have been messing aroung with dog bones for drive shats. I have some HPI stuff laying around. I here the guys are breaking traxxes sliders so I figure a dog bone would be easer to change out. I am fitting a GD 600 up in the stock chassie for now for R@D on the drive train.
Old 08-08-2004, 05:28 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I got a pic of his tuber, will post it later. Anyhow, the biggest problem I've heard with sliders is them coming off the axle pin at the axle. I had that problem today. My front drive shaft popped off 5 times. But if you drill it and put a pin through, it should hold it no problem.
Old 08-08-2004, 05:37 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

yeah i had this problem as well. But there are two types of stampede output drives. The first one has a hole going straight threw the outputs on the differential and holes on the output yokes line up with the holes on the differential. You just put a special pin that has threads on the top threw both of them a screw it down. The second one has no hole threw the diff but the end of the diff oupputs are threaded. You screw a secrew down the middle of the output yokes and into the diff. Then you use two set screws on each side. When you buy a output yoke package from traxxas it comes with all the hardware for both.

Most people with tlts use the second method and just use the set screws. But if you drill a hole threw your imputs on your axles you can use the first method which will prevent the sliders from coming off.
pedesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 12:38 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Well enough work for today. I went and got a full bearing kit and some shocks. I went with maxx shocks and got some 4-40 all thread to mock up links.
Like I said earlyer I am using rs4mt dog bones for shafts. I wanted to acheive a 12" wheel base on center, wich I did with some 10th scale fab. I have a welder and used a hpi front outer and cut off the threads and it indexed itself up on the stock tlt pinion cup. a few tacks and done.

The prediction on the build so far will be 3.25" clearence in the middle with a 12" wheel base. I will be running pede front wheels narrowed front and rear with masher 2000s on narrow/tall foams costom formed.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:12 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Here's rock's tuber via John Boyer:

Old 08-09-2004, 11:49 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

best lookin tlt ive ever seen
TerribleOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 07:58 PM   #11
RCC Addict

WOW that tlt toober is well done, it looks short on wheel base. Did you see it Plays_with_Toys? And do you recall the wheel base?

I was looking and with some remolding of the tranny I think I figured a way for a double belt drive and a 2.6:1 pulley ratio. With that set up and a bigger bottom pully with stock belts I am wondering how high up the drive cup centerline will raise up.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:17 PM   #12

the tlt is a lil tippy. but its still the best one ive ever seen in person, wait... its the only one. :?

its still the best . i want one 8O
WR450F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 11:55 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Its got about the same wheelbase as mine, which is a 265mm wheelbase (I hate english measurements), but I do believe he might have been maybe a 1/4" shorter.

He had some pretty impressive ground clearance, though his drive line angles seemed a little too extreme for me to attempt and be comfortable.

Like I said, the chassis was made by John Boyer, but Rock had a lot of input on the design.

Have you seen my TLT? If not here's a pic. I recently dubbed it: "Der Stein Grenadier"

I should get a newer off body pic, this was when I was running a traxxas servo and cheap ESC, hence the extra battery pack. It looks alot more cleaned up.
Old 08-10-2004, 04:52 PM   #14
RCC Addict

I like the centered moter on you chassie Plays_with_Toys. I have some great ideas for this little truck. They are going to have to wait for a month or too. Some ideas are off the hook and will take time so this winter will be a good time for R&D.

One of the ideas is cvd drive lines, that is if I have good luck with swing shaft drive lines. The other is the double belt drive 2.6 tranny with aluminum pullys. wich I mentioned earlier. I have not had good luck with Traxxes trannys on pedes and rustlers. I know you can up grade the trannys but been there done that.

I will post pics of my build up when I get more together. The GD 600 install is going to be sweet. The motor will set a little lower in the chassie wich helps. I am also extending the ends of the chassie for better shock placement.