Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: RCP knuckles with cvds question...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2007, 08:19 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default RCP knuckles with cvds question...

Im using the RCP stainless c's and max steer knuckles with my cvd axles and I am having a problem. I just put them together and when I turn both sides to full steer, it becomes rather difficult to turn the axles. When they are straight, it turns smoothe. Do i need to take a dremel to the inside of the knuckle to make a little more room, or could there be something else wrong? Oh yeah, I'm using bearings and rcp lockers as well.
tsaun987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2007, 09:14 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

They are probably binding. I don't have any experience with them, but thats what it sounds like.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:36 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

i have similar problems with my tlt sometimes what i do is take it all apart piece by piece then put on a few parts then check for bind then install more parts and check for binding i hope that helps
66shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:40 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Sounds like binding to me as well try to switch the knuckles from one side to the other.
badltl510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:59 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I'm running CVD's, MSD axle C's, and RCP knuckles and had the same problem. I believe the problem is likely to do with the knuckles. They don't have the 1mm drop on the kingpin hole like the stock knuckles do. This causes the binding.

See my post here and the picture should help explain.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...t=88779&page=9

You have to grind a bit off the top of the knuckle and add a washer on the bottom to get them to work. I can take a picture of mine if that would also help.
cman_1500w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:49 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

your axle Cs are probably on the wrong sides, there is a tall and short side to the Cs, if theyre on the wrong side it will bind like youre saying.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:06 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Well I switched the c's around and it did help a little bit, but it still is not all that smoothe. Cman, if you have a pic pf what you did that would be awesome.
tsaun987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:17 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Here yo go. Here's my setup. RCP max steer knuckles, CVD's, MSD Axle C's

The RCP knuckles are equal top to bottom for the kingpin holes. You have to grind the top part down and add a washer to the bottom. Just go slowly and use a file to get it as flat and even as you can. This is ONLY if your axle c's have the 1mm drop on the bottom..hence the need to mod it this way.

I don't know what the Fat rock stainless C's are like so check and make sure yours are the same way.

If you use stock axles you likely won't have to do this as there is enough play where it won't bind up. CVD's have much less wiggle room so that is another reason for having to do this.

cman_1500w is offline   Reply With Quote