Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut

Notices

Thread: Rock Magnet up and running

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2005, 06:18 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Rock Magnet up and running

Wanted to finally post some pics of my TXT. Been working non stop for a few weeks getting this thing up to par enough to show off. Still a work in progress.

At least it is fairly capable now.

Typical stuff. 1/4 scale servos. Broke 3 645's gears in 2 weeks. Never going back.
Dont know how most can live with them. These puppies are stronger faster and cheaper. Loving them.

Thanks Rckjeep fo the rings for the new LST's. Tires seem to work good. And everyones ideas I used to get this thing together.

Pics

Actually not using the reciever pack anymore. Wired the front servo directly to the main pack. All seems fine. Rear is going into reciever like normal.

JamisonWorkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2005, 07:26 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Nice lookin'

You did a great job on your truck. The shock towers look well thought out and implemented.
quickster47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 09:19 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Wheel base?
Looks short.
DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 09:26 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

15 1/2" wb. I had it sitting lower but high centering was being a problem. 5" to skid right now. Which is alot better. was 4 1/2" with stock tires.

Right now it will do just about anything but climb straight verts like I see alot of you guys being able to make. I am sure wheelbase isnt helping that. and maybe the rocks I climb arent quite as sticky as some. Any suggestions on that?

I was thinking of raising the lower link mounts on the axles to get the links up a little higher. Just dosent do well on walls. It can only climb like 6-8" tall step max.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:56 AM   #5

Nice truck buddy. How is the 1/4 scale servo working for you? Doesnt it hit the front of your truck when climbing? Anywayz good job!
Arvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 10:21 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

As far as I am concerned they are the cats meow. Compared to the Hitec 645's I bought and ran for 2 weeks and stripped 3 gear sets with servo savers.

They are faster, quicker, cheaper, gear sets are cheaper. And can turn the truck on anything. Carpet, loaded tire, in a hole. Anything.

They draw a little more power, weigh a little more(which I think is a good thing).
like I said before I have the front wired directly to the main pack at 7.2v so it is even stronger and faster. Rear is right into 3rd channel. No problems. Run time is still 30-45min. with a 2400nimh.

They also dont stick out any farther than the old servo either. So there is no reason I think not to run them. So I like them.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:07 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

nice now we just need a vid
to-fast-4-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 12:00 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Looks great!How did you mount the body?
WestCoastPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 12:05 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

If you look at the rear shot you can just see one of the zip ties. Just 2 zip ties in the back to the crossbar holds it down, and the front is cut so tightly it takes some force to pull it up, just like a hood on a car. :-P.

I am waiting on a Landcruiser body for show, and will make real mounts to suit that and just adapt them for this body too.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:31 AM   #10
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamisonWorkshop
15 1/2" wb. I had it sitting lower but high centering was being a problem. 5" to skid right now. Which is alot better. was 4 1/2" with stock tires.

Right now it will do just about anything but climb straight verts like I see alot of you guys being able to make. I am sure wheelbase isnt helping that. and maybe the rocks I climb arent quite as sticky as some. Any suggestions on that?

I was thinking of raising the lower link mounts on the axles to get the links up a little higher. Just dosent do well on walls. It can only climb like 6-8" tall step max.
Nice work, I dig the way it looks.

I'm running 16 3/4" wheelbase with 4 1/2" of tranny clearence, so yours does seem a little tall for your wheelbase. Longer wheelbase and better tires will make a huge difference on vertical stuff. I'd sell the LST's and buy some Moab's, from what I've seen, I'm not impressed with the LST's. I have my upper links flat, or parallel, to the ground which seems to work the best for me. I'd clock the GD-600 to get the motor lower in the chassis, maybe even rotate the tranny too.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 11:45 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Moabs are in the mail and Rckjeeps outbacks should be too, so I will see if I like the Moabs, which I am sure I will. I have had that feeling that the stock tires seemed to do some things a little better. But the LST's do too. Lots of give and take.

The GD600 will be rotated when my lathe gets here. Waiting until I have to break into it. Probably leave the tranny alone for now.

Height and length wise. I am thinking about the 60/40 setup so I can just lengthen one side and get what I need. Tonight I am making lower link mounts for the rear that go ontop of the servo mount which will give my rear links about an inch more clearance. See if the tire grabs a little more instead of ledges hitting te rearlinks first.

I am sure I will drop the belly a bit down the road too once I see what I like.
4" wasnt bad but I didnt have things dialed in then either. (stock shocks on the axle, dead weight up top among others). So maybe it will work a little better lower now. Working on it.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:51 AM   #12
2006 2.2 National Champ

I run a 60/40 link set-up and really like it. Most of the weight is in the front of my rig now. This will help with the verticals too. Are you running a stiffer spring set-up on the right rear shock? That was another tweak that helped my rig too.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 12:00 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Being the stock shocks I put most of the preload rings on the right rear. I think the torque is pretty much controlled. on full throttle it drops maybe an inch.
Once I get the suspension dialed in I will get some of the spring tenders you tried since I am out of adjusters to go any stiffer.

If I lower the belly the links do flatten out nicely. I may try a limiting strap just to see how it is. (easy enough). I probably wont like the unloading though I am sure. That is the only problem. I dont want to make the shock towers any higher. but have to if I want the truck any lower.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:26 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Cool rig, I thought the servos would be more cumbersome, but they look like they would work well. Those Moabs will work a lot better than those dog-toy tires you have on there now. :smile:. And like already mentioned, video please.

--BMW
utbeamer is offline   Reply With Quote