Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut

Notices

Thread: First TXT came in yesterday

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2004, 08:45 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default First TXT came in yesterday

Well, I traded a TXT for a T-Maxx that I was no longer using. I think it was a pretty good deal for me since I also got an E-Maxx tranny with the TXT.

Anyway, after looking at this, I can see that I want to lock the axles and stretch the wheel base. I have done some searches, and noticed that 15.5-16.6 is about the wheelbase to shoot for (which is what I like on my Clod)

Question, are there any companies that make a locker/spool for the TXT axles? I got them pretty cheap for my E-Maxx, so I figured that someone would have some for the TXT as well.

Next, why should I swap in the E-Maxx tranny instead of just using the TXT tranny? Is there a big benefit to the E-Maxx tranny over the TXT tranny?

Also, what is the best way to mount the links? my links are on the bottom of the axle, and I want to get the bottom of the axles more flat instead of having the pieces that are hanging down the way they are.

And finally, should I put the Cants back on, or keep the link mounted shocks to the chassis the way it came? I know this is a big debate, so this might be fun.

Thanks for any input you can give me. I look forward to playing with this shafty, and it looks like it is going to be a pretty fun crawler to play with.

Mark
T-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2004, 08:52 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: First TXT came in yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Man
Next, why should I swap in the E-Maxx tranny instead of just using the TXT tranny? Is there a big benefit to the E-Maxx tranny over the TXT tranny?
Okay im going out on a limb trying to answer this as i dont have a txt or shafty my self. Theirs two reasons for the emaxx tranny i believe.

1) Lower COG of the motor plus the ability to choose eather 1st/2nd to allow for more choices on gearing.
2) Its an easier way to get the traxxas slider shafts incompassed with the tranny.

Correct me if im wrong guys.
nodnarb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 09:01 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Well, I'll be the first to say it since I know this guy pretty well...........SEARCH!!!

j/k man! Congrats on the txt and welcome to the world of shafties where torque steer makes for one fun ride! I can't wait to see what it can do on the rocks!

Hehe, I don't have a txt but I have read quite a bit on them and know a thing or two.

as for the lockers check out this link. There's a few to choose from.
http://rc4wd.com/shop/index.php?cPath=1_3

The emaxx tranny over the txt one is cool b/c it allows you to shift gears so if you want a 2spd (like mine is ) then it's good to use. Personally I like having that option.

It seems most people mount their bottom links on the most inside hole on the top link mount of the axle.

Canti's are over rated imo. Keep the direct shock setup.

You might wanna check out Badger's txt or that Project Lowrider a few threads down. They seem to be VERY capable crawlers. Oh and not to mention Dirk's article on the 10 ways to build a better txt.
cman_1500w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 09:46 AM   #4
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Congradulations on the TXT!

The WB you are going to run is really dependant on where you crawl, and how much you chop off the center part of the chassis.

I guess if you have the money a locker would be cool, otherwise buy some JB-Weld and lock the diffs. It is very easy to do.

I only crawl with my TXT so I really don't care to put a emaxx tranny in it. I think it depends on what you plan to do with your TXT.

I had my links mounted in the same mounting point on the chassis and that is "supposed" to help with torqe twist but I did not see any difference. I moved my links back to the "typical" mounting method and fixed the torqe twist with my shock positions.

Throw the canti's away IMO. My latest shock configuration has been the best setup yet. I have almost completely (~95%) got rid of the torqe twist.

One more thing I will through in. Battery position, this is extremely crucial (IMO) to good COG. I really like my battery setup, BUT it did take some work to get it. Rckjeeps newest battery position is very easy to do initially and I have seems HUGE improvements in his trucks stability. You can see it the most when he drives down a steep bumpy rock surface and his truck just seems glued to the rocks. It does not want to flip over the front at all, and I believe this is from the battery being as close to the center as possible.

Few, that was long! Wake up now and work on your TXT.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 10:05 AM   #5
Powered by Awesome

Quote:
Question, are there any companies that make a locker/spool for the TXT axles? I got them pretty cheap for my E-Maxx, so I figured that someone would have some for the TXT as well.
Mark
Alot of us used either diff lube fluid or plain old JB Weld... Ive got JB in the front and rear of my rig...

Quote:
Mark
If i remember right, a gear reduction unit will not bolt up as easily to the emaxx tranny ass it would to the txt tanny. the gd600 is easily adaptable to the txt tranny.
Quote:
Also, what is the best way to mount the links? my links are on the bottom of the axle, and I want to get the bottom of the axles more flat instead of having the pieces that are hanging down the way they are.
Mark
here are some pics of a stoxk txt with the links moved to the top of the axle:

I hope that maybe on of these pics help.....
Quote:
And finally, should I put the Cants back on, or keep the link mounted shocks to the chassis the way it came? I know this is a big debate, so this might be fun.
Mark
From what some people have been saying, having axle/link mounted shocks tends to help take care of the dreaded torque problem that the TXT is born with... im actually in the middle of doing so myself... just trying to get some HPI Savage shocks to mount. One thing that you might or might not know is that if you extend the wheelbase, the stock revos shafts work great! there is alot of info on the forum for txt, in fact someone did a write up on how to make it fit. I got my shafts at HobbyTown USA for 12 bucks a piece. have fun
TwistedXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 10:15 AM   #6

Ohh yeah, in case you don't already know where my pics are.

http://www.nor-calrcrc.com/modules.p...view_album.php

In the "Modified TXT V4" gallery is the lastest version of my TXT.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:56 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Hey twisted? Has that truck even seen rocks yet? There isn't even any rock rash on the axles.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 12:27 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Hey Badger, what wheelbase are you running, and what length are your links?

I think I will start with what I have for now, and go from there. If the spools are $70 each, I see some JB weld in my future. :? Don't see spending that kind of money on a spool. I only paid $7.50 for the E-Maxx spools.

I have been looking at this truck, and I see alot of opportunity, and it will be much easier to get this shafty going rather than doing the E-Maxx set-up that I have been looking at doing. At least for now.

Thanks ya'll, and I will let you know the progress as the time goes along.

mark
Old 12-15-2004, 01:20 PM   #9

I am running a 15 5/8" WB. I will measure the links tonight and let you know.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:29 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Badger, something else, are those LST's mounted on TXT rims? or are they on some other kind of rim?
Old 12-15-2004, 01:32 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Yup those are LST's on TXT rims. He used my Beadlocks rings to mount them.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 03:00 PM   #12