Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Neep help picking out some paint

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2009, 02:16 AM   #1
I joined the Band!

Default Neep help picking out some paint

I just got a cc-01 kit for my birthday and was wondering whats the best paint for styrene?

Tamiya TS or Tamiya PS? thanks.
grimgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2009, 02:50 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Hi,

Tamiya PS paints are for polycarbonate bodies (clear). TS are lacquer based and are more suitable to styrene bodies. What CC-01 did you get by the way? Im assuming either a Jeep Wrangler or a Pajero?
mix237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:21 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Tamiya makes some nice paint that's for sure. I look forward to seeing what you're painting.
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:08 AM   #4
I joined the Band!

I got the Jeep and spent the evening building it. She is all done except for the paint, finnishing the body, and adding the lights.

I'll post some pictures when it's done.

Whats the best way to do a two tone paint job? I want to give the top,fenders,and bumper a different color than the body. I have some blue painters tape but when trying ot tape rouneded areas I always seem to have a hard time getting it to cover well.

thanks for the info on the paint.

Here is what I have done so far (not bad for an evenings work)

55T Novak Motor

Novak ESC rooster crawler

Deans plugs

2.4ghz RX/TX

Bone stock no mods and all I did so far was lock the rear axle. I know I'll probably lock the front at some point. The tires are rock hard and will not work so I'll be getting some new shoes and rims as well.

Last edited by grimgard; 11-05-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:03 PM   #5
I joined the Band!

Think I have it all sorted. I bought some 6mm tamiya tape and used it to follow the body lines. Took forever but I think it will turn out good. I am waiting for the paint to dry before I peel off the tape.

I used Olive drab green as the color for the main body and then black for the fenders, bumper, and top.

This would look cool as a modern military jeep! All I need is some stars.

I also ordered some 1.9 rims and tires from RC4WD.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:48 PM   #6
I joined the Band!

BAM!

Old 11-05-2009, 05:14 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Looks good. A star would really set it off.
I would have used flat for the black though.
Also, if you hold the can far away and let the spray fall on the top you can get a subtle texture to the top like the 1:1 has.
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:25 PM   #8
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantablo View Post
Looks good. A star would really set it off.
I would have used flat for the black though.
Also, if you hold the can far away and let the spray fall on the top you can get a subtle texture to the top like the 1:1 has.
Yea I was thinking the same thing about the flat black. I can always respray it, but as it is now I realy like it. It looks a lot better in person.

As you can tell by the pictures the paint has a semi flat look to it. Needless to say I like it!
Old 11-05-2009, 07:00 PM   #9
I joined the Band!

Default Ha!

I remembered I had a old AX10 Betty Body and dug it out and sure enough it had some stars on it!

Old 11-05-2009, 07:16 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Looks really good !! I have a Land Cruiser CC-01 on the way. Can't wait to start the build.
Slow_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:23 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I want a cc-01 Jeep so bad but they stopped making them, anyone know where I can find one for sale. Yours looks good I love the green color. Are you going to get new wheels or tires for it?
neoakaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakaj View Post
I want a cc-01 Jeep so bad but they stopped making them, anyone know where I can find one for sale. Yours looks good I love the green color. Are you going to get new wheels or tires for it?
rcmart or stellamodels has them instock, I got my jeep from stella for $200 shipped Ps. nice jeep grimgard.... what wheel and tires did you order from rc4wd?

Last edited by rch2; 11-05-2009 at 07:39 PM.
rch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:37 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakaj View Post
There are still a lot of online shops that have the CC-01 jeep in stock. Flea-bay is also an option. Just watch out for dudes over-seas with crazy shipping prices.
Slow_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:36 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Looks great with the stars! So long you like the semi-flat black that's all that matters.
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:38 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Jeep looks good, get rid of the front bumper and lock the front diff. I tried mine unlocked for a run or two and it just did not cut it. You will also want to trim the little tab on the front knuckles that limits your steering. Just study your steering and you will see what needs to be trimed. Huge improvement to steering throw.
fixed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:44 PM   #16
I joined the Band!

Thanks everyone! Yea they still sell these! I got mine from china! lol but it was worth it.

I bought the RC4WD OEM 1.9 white beadlocks with the Dirt Grabbers 1.9 tires and foams.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:49 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimgard View Post
Thanks everyone! Yea they still sell these! I got mine from china! lol but it was worth it.

I bought the RC4WD OEM 1.9 white beadlocks with the Dirt Grabbers 1.9 tires and foams.

Thats gonna look sweet. My old 97 wrangler had BFG ATs with white wheels, it was a red body but its a great look for them!
neoakaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:40 AM   #18
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed13 View Post
Jeep looks good, get rid of the front bumper and lock the front diff. I tried mine unlocked for a run or two and it just did not cut it. You will also want to trim the little tab on the front knuckles that limits your steering. Just study your steering and you will see what needs to be trimed. Huge improvement to steering throw.
I trimmed the little tabs and it did add more than enough steering throw. Why remove the off road bumper? It's scale and most off road trucks have them. Did yours get hung up on the rocks and what not?
Old 11-06-2009, 11:37 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Nice color , are you going to paint in the detail stuff , like the side lights,hood straps etc?.
The bumper gets hung up ,but standard, it does protect the corners of the guards tho , so you,re call to chopp it off. I just shortened the ends up on mine.
vipxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:46 AM   #20
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipxj View Post
Nice color , are you going to paint in the detail stuff , like the side lights,hood straps etc?.
The bumper gets hung up ,but standard, it does protect the corners of the guards tho , so you,re call to chopp it off. I just shortened the ends up on mine.
Thanks! I plan on painting the detail stuff. I painted the hood latches last night and need to pick up some orange for the markers. I also just ordered a 2nd set of white LED's for the KC lights on the bumper. My OEM 1.9 rims shipped today along with my tires!

I wont be needing any gear reduction because with my set up its has plenty of wheel speed and low speed torque. Novak rocks the rocks!

I already own a SCX10 Proline Chevy Blazer, X-trail chassis AX10 Proline Toyota Bushwacker (FJ40), and now this little CC-01 Jeep Wrangler! My collection is complete

I would have to say I like the CC-01 the best out of the 3 because it looks so real. Kudos to Tamiya!

I will post more pictures once I get my orange paint, tires, rims, and lights.

EDIT************************************

I am still waiting on the LED's for the KC lights but I did lock the front axle and got my Rims and tires, I also painted the markers and latches.

Last edited by grimgard; 11-07-2009 at 01:23 PM.