Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: New to scale and cc-01 asking for info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2009, 08:13 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default New to scale and cc-01 asking for info

Hello everyone!

I've become the proud daddy of a brand new CC-01 Pajero Widebody kit and have the intent to turn it into a scale crawler/trail vehicle and I have been doing extensive reading and research and have found tons of really neat ideas and simple mods (Thanks Blackfoot!).

However, despite my best efforts I need to ask some questions about a couple of specific things.

Firstly, shocks. I want to do a 4 link to the rear and will do the front end mods for a bit more turning and travel, but after much reading want to ask what you guys prefer when it comes to after market shockers. I'd like to do my best to keep it as scale as possible and replace the stock shockies with something a little better than stock for performance and travel but not so huge that they detract from the scaleness.

Secondly, wheels and tires woo! There are apparently a plethora of both out there and would like probably 2 sets, 1 for a bit of crawl action and another for trail/mud etc.. Is this reasonable? I'd like them to be a bit chunky to give it an 'aussie' kind of feel but not so huge to be impracticle. Clearly 1.9 is the path I want to take, but I'd love some opinions and ideas and if I'll need to upgrade the steering/suspension bits to accomodate what I want to (try) to achieve.

Thanks for your time and much appreciated helps

I'm an Aussie!
Junkz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2009, 08:25 PM   #2
0 0

as far as the shocks go ive heard people use the losi mini crawler shocks. they are the same length but they are smaller in size for a more scale look. there are other shocks out there but the majority are longer and with the CC01 you don't really need longer shocks because the suspension itself is pretty limited.

the tires your just going to have to look around. but for an aggressive looking mud tire you cant go wrong with the RC4wd mud slingers
romulus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:41 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

the 'jero needs tires on the smaller end of the spectrum. Mud slingers are good. so are trail doctors. any 95mm (+/-) tire will work well. Grip doctors also will work but the trial docs are better.
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:29 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Could someone please tell me if I'll need a gear reduction on this chassis using the stock 540 can? Or would I be better off buying a large turn motor with a crawling ESC?

Thanks.

much love
Old 09-08-2009, 06:34 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

The rig is pretty fast with the stock motor. Gear reduction units would work, but a new motor would probably be cheaper and easier. I put in a 65t motor and I'm happy with it. Crawls great and drives at a nice walking speed. I'm using the stock esc for now and I've had no problems
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:13 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Cheers for the thanks mate and I am happy to serve yet again!

If you want a go anywhere but the rocks tire, go with the RC4WD Mud Slingers, they are as aggressive as they get. For tooling around on the rocks, well I don't have rocks, so I really cannot give alot of suggestions there, but I know the 1.9 Losi Soft Claws works great on my Humvee. I have seen a guy on here that runs the Proline 1.9 Chisels and they are supposed to be a great 2.2 tire, so I imagine they would do great for the Pajero as well. Either of these will fit without much modding if any at all. I also run a set of SDI Trail Docs and I love them, but they wear out pretty quick.

I run a 75 turn in one and a 65 turn in my other and I prefer the 65 turn. The 75 turn just does not offer me enuff wheel speed for muddy situations and I know a GRU has even less. See I do not run on rocks, I run in the dirt and mud, rocks are very rare around here unless you count ones the size of pebbles up to baseballs to be worthy of anything but an annoyance. The stock ESC will be fine, if you can get through the programming without pulling your hair out. About any ESC is OK for a trail truck that does what it is intended to be used for and that is trail running on dirt and mud. If you want a rock crawler, then buy a rock crawler.
blackfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:10 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkz0r View Post
Firstly, shocks. I want to do a 4 link to the rear and will do the front end mods for a bit more turning and travel, but after much reading want to ask what you guys prefer when it comes to after market shockers. I'd like to do my best to keep it as scale as possible and replace the stock shockies with something a little better than stock for performance and travel but not so huge that they detract from the scaleness.
Up front I feel that the stock units when supplied with the correct oil/springs, they work really well. I haven't noticed much if any leaking. In the rear, if you want to make new links and allow for more droop, a slightly longer shock might not be a bad idea.

Quote:
Secondly, wheels and tires woo! There are apparently a plethora of both out there and would like probably 2 sets, 1 for a bit of crawl action and another for trail/mud etc.. Is this reasonable? I'd like them to be a bit chunky to give it an 'aussie' kind of feel but not so huge to be impracticle. Clearly 1.9 is the path I want to take, but I'd love some opinions and ideas and if I'll need to upgrade the steering/suspension bits to accomodate what I want to (try) to achieve.

I think you'll find every tire you need from RC4WD.

Quote:
Could someone please tell me if I'll need a gear reduction on this chassis using the stock 540 can? Or would I be better off buying a large turn motor with a crawling ESC?

Personally, if you don't have an ESC with drag brake, get a reduction unit. If you have an ESC with drag brake, get a 65 turn motor. I can't imaging running a rig without drag brake, especially a CC-01. These suckers don't stop very well on their own without some sort of resistance...they'll roll forever.

I'm really liking my current setup, old school Super Rooster, 45 turn, RC4WD 4:1 reduction unit powered by a 3 cell. Has excellent low speed control and thanks to the 3 cell, it has some pretty good top speed.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:15 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

I have a gear reduction box in mine, I think its HPI or Integy, I can't remember right now. It took slight modification to get it in, nothing much. I had to dremmel a small part of the gear cover away to get it to fit.
TrickyNickro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:41 PM   #9
0 0

if you use the HPI gru you might want to use the stock motor or another pretty low turn motor. it has 7.4:1 reduction.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:06 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Thanks heaps for the tips guys they are very much appreciated.

I can get a rooster crawler and a 5T motor combo for a fairly decent price, is this a viable solution for a 1.9 scaler?
Old 09-08-2009, 08:11 PM   #11
0 0

hopefully you meant to type 55t and not 5t

if not a 5t will get you nowhere
Old 09-08-2009, 08:23 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Lol yes a 55T is the motor, seller made a type
Old 09-08-2009, 08:25 PM   #13
0 0