Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: My cc-01 Jeep "PFB YJ clone" 1.55 wheels test run pics 9-28-09

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2009, 10:41 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default My cc-01 Jeep "PFB YJ clone" 1.55 wheels test run pics 9-28-09

After seeing Pigeonfarmboy's YJ, I made up my mind that I needed to clone it. So I received my wrangler along with some scale goodies from RPP last Monday. I also ordered the 1.55 wheels and 1.55 mud thrashers from RC4WD. So I just finally got a chance to finish it tonight.

RC4WD 1.55 rims and tires.
Rear was raised by lengthing the shock ends. And making the shocks go straight up.
The front was raised a little so shims under the front skid, cut c hubs. And also lengthened the shocks with the shock ends. And a couple washers under the front body mount.
The front wall was cut off and a old bruiser skid plate was cut and glued on.
Full bearings thru out with the front and rear diffs locked and 65 turn motor.
Scale stuff on the body consist of Proline lights and rack, Reign scale antannae, 3racing winch on cut down bumper. Rear spare raised for better clearance.

So far the jeep seems to fast with the 65 turn motor. I might take Pablo's suggestion and add the 4:1 reduction. Still need to make a rear bumper and some weight to the front and rear tires.
I will get some better pics outside this weekend.

Last edited by 59sled; 09-27-2009 at 07:25 PM.
59sled is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2009, 10:55 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

sweet! Lets run it at vasquez!
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:09 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Let's do it, I'm free on Sunday's. I built this so my kids can join in on Vasquez too. Now I got all the American manufactures covered in scalers now. Chrysler, Ford, And Chevy.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

very nice any pics of how you attached the lights to the windshield frame so clean? and do they work?
Unimoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:43 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unimoger View Post
very nice any pics of how you attached the lights to the windshield frame so clean? and do they work?
Those are the factory lights for the bumper. They have a small mounting hole near the bottom. I just drilled through the body and window and used a small self tapping screw into the light. I filed the bottom hole at an angle to match the angle of the window frame. Then the part where the led goes, I just slotted it so it could fit in the body line of the fake hinge.
They don't work yet. Just need more led to wire them up.

I will try get a pic of it this weekend, when I take some better outdoor shots of the Jeep.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:47 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

After seeing yours, I am leaning towards making a clone of a clone.
difflocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:28 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Did a quick little test run to Vasquez rocks today to test the jeep. Was only there for about 45 mins. It was too hot, it was 100* at 10:00am.
The jeep did great. My biggest complaint would be the steering. Not so much the play in it, but the lack of turn radius. Still a little too fast, I need to get a gear reduction unit. Also I added 3 ounces of weight to the wheels which helped alot, but I need to add a lot more to the front. Flips over backwards on the climbs to easy. Maybe put the battery in the front.
The tires gripped pretty good, I also star cut the stock foams which helped them form to the rocks.
I built the Jeep so I could have 3 scalers for me and my two boys, But today the wife wanted to go too. Well lets just say I think I need a fourth scaler now.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:25 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

that looks awesome any pics without the body?
silverback4jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:30 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback4jack View Post
that looks awesome any pics without the body?
Sorry no pics with the body off. It's just the standard Tamiya CC-01 chassis with the front brick under the bumper cut off.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:40 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59sled View Post
...But today the wife wanted to go too. Well lets just say I think I need a fourth scaler now.
That's awesome!
Rigs look good. I miss Vasquez.
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:46 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantablo View Post
That's awesome!
Rigs look good. I miss Vasquez.
Thanks.
Only about a month away from cooler days. We can get some of these GTG going again.
Your right about the gear reduction. These cc-01's really do need it.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:14 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Hi 59 love your jeep mate.

I haven't actually test driven mine yet (waiting for lipos to arrive) but have you considered replacing the stock steering links with proper turnbuckles and give yourself just a little bit of toe-in to help with the steering?

Also I'm curious, instead of a reduction unit would setting a throttle curve work if you have a digital radio, or even adjusting expo maybe??

Also replacing the stock camber link with a proper adjustable ball link rod should give you a little xtra travel and I've also nipped the steering stopper pins on the C hangers back a little, not so much that the dogbones will fall out tho.
Junkz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:13 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkz0r View Post
Hi 59 love your jeep mate.

I haven't actually test driven mine yet (waiting for lipos to arrive) but have you considered replacing the stock steering links with proper turnbuckles and give yourself just a little bit of toe-in to help with the steering?

Also I'm curious, instead of a reduction unit would setting a throttle curve work if you have a digital radio, or even adjusting expo maybe??

Also replacing the stock camber link with a proper adjustable ball link rod should give you a little xtra travel and I've also nipped the steering stopper pins on the C hangers back a little, not so much that the dogbones will fall out tho.
I will have to try the toe in trick. The stock turnbuckles are adjustable, so should I have my wheels a little toe in when looking down from the top and not straight.

Not sure on how the the throttle curve would work. I think the gear reduction unit would give it some more low end torque.

I also cut the stopper pins off. I didn't realize if you went to much the dogbones would pop out. Thats good to know.

Last edited by 59sled; 09-28-2009 at 09:16 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:40 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Great Work!! there's something so cool about watching one of these rigs hang a wheel..
pvtjrt01550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:10 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Love it!! love the white and wheels!
tpliquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:33 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Small update on my Wrangler.
I added a 2:1 Rc4wd gear reduction.
Made a plate to relocate the battery up front.
Some more scale accessories.
Removed front Bruiser skid plate and just added a small piece of styrene.

The gear reduction is great, the Jeep is very controlable now. Kind of acts like a drag brake on the down hills, Very slow. Only downfall would be how loud this thing is while driving. The gear reduction make it sound like something broke inside.
The battery plate really helps on the steep climbs. But I noticed on the down hill it is very front heavy.

Overall I'm real happy with this Jeep.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:48 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

looks awsome!!! really nice build it looks perfect! not over done not under done!
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:57 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Nice build. I'm lovin the 1.55's, can't wait to see this one in one of Pantablo's vid's
1badxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:17 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badxj View Post
Nice build. I'm lovin the 1.55's, can't wait to see this one in one of Pantablo's vid's
Just a matter of time. We will have a gtg soon.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:24 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Super good job the the Jeep.

Tires and wheels look okay too.
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote