Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Rear Diff Lock and other CC-01 Questions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2010, 05:33 PM   #1
JLF
Quarry Creeper

Default Rear Diff Lock and other CC-01 Questions?

I picked up a great deal on a slightly modded Pajero a few weeks ago. Its so much fun! Ive upgraded with everything from GPM. However, these upgrades have shown a spotlight on the weaknesses of my CC-01.

The rear Diff is NOT locked, and after doing some research here, realised that the kit came with a Rear Diff Locker option.

However, this wasnt a 'kit', rather an XB (Expert Build) Pajero. So I dont know if it was ever included in the box for the original owner?

My question's are...

1. There are several Tamiya CC-01 parts bags available on ebay. Which one would contain this Rear Diff Locker?

2. If I want to run the longer wheel base option, which Tamiya parts bag contains the correct long Drive Line? I looked at MIP's website and did not see a CVD option for the CC-01?

3. Im thinking of moving to a Scale body, such as Tamiya's Hilift, F350, Tundra. Anyone have wheel base measurements?

THANK YOU!!!!!
JLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2010, 05:56 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

My CC-01 Jeep Project

Post #17
Tedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:32 PM   #3
JLF
Quarry Creeper

Thanks Tedro!

I had read that this mod was a 'free and easy' locker, but didnt see a photo.

I wonder, does it have to be grinded down to fit as shown in the photo? Or will it just drop in?
Old 07-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #4
On the lookout for Rocks

You don't need an extra spider gear, just move one of the three between the other two. I believe that he was impatient and didn't get is seated in all the way. That's why it had to be cut down. Sometimes you have to be patient with it.

If you want the locker, it's in Parts Bag G #900542. It'll have 2 in there one for the front and rear.
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:21 PM   #5
RCC Addict

1. Looks like the diff lock is in the G parts bag
It can be found here at RPP
http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/tam9005422.htm

You can also lock it by putting another small gear in the diff case or use some kind of putty that hardens or JB Weld.

2. You could just make one out of Traxxas Stampede shafts and yokes. Also Junfac carries different length shafts, just take a measurement after you set up your wheelbase.

http://www.junfac.com/shop/index.php...index&cPath=27

3. My stock Hilift has a 11.5" wb so I imagine they're all close to that.
BGGruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:23 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Looks like you were quicker that me Greg!
I was too busy trying too put pictures in the post, you can actually see the diff locker in the bag if you look hard enough.
BGGruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:09 AM   #7
JLF
Quarry Creeper

Guys, thanks so much for all the knowledge!

I took the rear axle apart tonight, and threw in three small Axial annodized alloy spacers. It did the trick. Locked up solid as can be. Took it for a test run and wow... Can I just say that its all most 'too capable' now?

Locked front and rear, HB Rover Tires with Axial 1.9 Beadlocks, and everything GPM, Tekin FXR, 45t, and 3c Lipo, and the only thing holding it back now is ground clearance, and perhaps front articulation! I was able to get over rocks that I built up for my old custom AX-10! It was almost more fun before when it was a challenge to crawl stuff! I cant believe what it will do now.

Im impressed with the CC-01!

Again, thank you!
Old 07-12-2010, 09:28 PM   #8
JLF
Quarry Creeper

BGGruff.... Looks like Im gonna need that parts bag anyway, so thanks for the photo!

Now that my rear axle is locked and Im climbing more aggressively. Ive noticed a 'stripped gear' sound. Im assuming my front gears are starting to chunk out.

Has anyone ever found metal replacements/upgrades?
Old 07-14-2010, 03:57 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

The gears are pretty strong as standard i believe.

Take it apart and double check all gears. Also check that the gear cover is down 100% with no stripped threads
jayuk022002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:06 AM   #10
JLF
Quarry Creeper

Thanks!

I ordered the bag anyway for back up parts.

I swapped out my old chasis for a spanking brand new one I got from Japan this week. When replacing the gears, everything looked solid and perfect!

Altogether it makes a weird click noise at one spot when turning the front wheels 'round... I didnt take the diff apart to inspect. Probably should have?
Old 05-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #11

Default Re: Rear Diff Lock and other CC-01 Questions?

Hi guys, does anyone know if the rear diff lockers in G parts bag would fit in the front diff? or has anybody used these in the front? I would try

this on my wrangler but it hasn't arrived yet! just doing a little homework before I start the kit, thanks.

Last edited by Gibbon29; 05-26-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Gibbon29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:01 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Gibbon, the parts will in included with your kit. to lock the front, use 1 of the small bevel gears from the rear diff, you would have removed the spiders gears and replaced it with the 2 plastic lockers for the rear. open the front diff unit and pull the spider gear out. Put the extra bevel gear in first, then put the spider gears back in. you will end up with the extra bevel gear between 2 bevel gears on the spider gears. be sure to press them down firmly so that the cover for the diff unit can close.

cheers
T
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:55 AM   #13

Thanks titus, I'll use one of the spider gears to lock up the front, still waiting for the kit to arrive!
Gibbon29 is offline   Reply With Quote